Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Copy DVDs, Duplicate, Replicate

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Free Member

Overseas made dvd plays on computer using Win. media player but won't play on dvd player even after using dvd decrypter and basically doing a iso copy and re burn, I have decrypter settings for region 1, etc., the recommended settings here, what do I need to do to create a dvd player compatible disk?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Free Member

I have also tried to rip it as an IFO and re-burn, still same thing, you actually see a picture on the tv but it's rolling, like the vertical hold is turned off or out of wack like in the old days, does anyone know what's going on here, the movie plays fine on the computer using the generic windows media player.
05-24-2010, 10:13 PM
Free Member

No one knows what causes this?
06-13-2010, 08:59 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Is the DVD PAL or NTSC?

Do you know if it's actually made correctly? (i.e., a real PAL or NTSC disc, and not somebody's homemade hatchet job that doesn't fit either spec)

Does the DVD players being tested for sure play PAL DVDs?

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
06-13-2010, 09:29 PM
Free Member

It does not look homemade, it has the fbi warning, chapters, etc. and Gspot say's it's PAL, is this the problem? Can I convert it?
06-13-2010, 09:38 PM

It sounds like your player may not be able to handle PAL.

Can you convert it? Well, yes and no.

Technically, yes, you can convert it, and there's a guide here: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/guides/vid...t-pal-ntsc.htm

But even the best PAL to NTSC conversion method will lose some quality. It also takes a lot of time and effort. How much is your time worth to you?

The easiest solution is to get a DVD player capable of playing PAL. Almost anything made in China -- the majority of DVD players sold in the USA for probably 4-5 years now -- can play PAL without any problem. It's almost harder to find a player that doesn't play PAL! Philips decks from Walmart are a known PAL playing DVD player.

There's also the cheaper $20-30 players found at Target, Walmart, gas stations, truck stops, grocery stores, Big Lots, dollar stores, etc. Those are almost always Chinese goods that play PAL.

If you want an awesome DVD player, one that does not only PAL and NTSC, but can play XVID/Divx too (from a USB thumb drive, even!), then get a Philips. It runs in the $50-60 range. Save money buying it from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B001VICORW

Leaving PAL as PAL has the benefit of maximum quality, offloading the "conversion" (quasi play) onto the display hardware, both the DVD player and TV.

No time required, either.

That's what I'd suggest.

06-13-2010, 10:00 PM
Free Member

I got a newer player and...that was it,...I looked at the conversion you referenced, looks like you said, to much time involved so I am trying to just play it on the new player and record it to another, I hope it will record in NTSC and be playable on my old players?
06-13-2010, 10:21 PM

Yeah, you still lose some quality that way -- re-encoding the signal -- but at least it's only a real-time endeavor, and not one that requires lots of software and lots of time.

I'd keep the original version, and watch it when possible. Only watch the converted version when the player is locked to NTSC-only.

06-13-2010, 10:38 PM
Free Member

Thanks man!!