11-18-2012, 09:11 PM
Free Member

Hi Forum. Connecting foxtel to a vivo lcd has the tvs screen go black evey so often. We put the Foxtel through a vcrs a/v input and output to the lcd tv for more gain but still the screen goes blank but less often. Would a one stage video amp do the trick such as the bc548 and what value r and cs od we need? Regards Major
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-06-2012, 11:59 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Hi, Major.

Though you may have already solved this issue on your own, I wanted to follow up with you anyway.

I'll assume that "Foxtel" is cable TV provider. And your issue is fairly common -- not just with Foxtel, but quite a few cable providers. It's likely due to the cable boxes (receivers), though the cable companies love to falsely blame the HDTVs as the culprit. A friend reported an identical issue with his cable provider last month, as well! My best guess is that the box is not outputting a 100% complaint NTSC or PAL video signal, which the TV has a hard time locking on to. That's common with out-of-spec devices and digital era video hardware. For example, video capture cards sometimes have a heck of a time locking onto the "blue screen" menus from VCRs. Same issue with older 70s-80s video game consoles, too.

An amp may do the trick simply because it's more likely to output a compliant video stream better than the cheap cable/satellite receivers. However, the tradeoff is that some amps will strip out parts of the in coming signal deemed to be "not video", including on-screen guides, closed captions, etc. In the worst cases, you'll get a blank screen again.

This is one of those frustrating issues that requires testing with hardware. Be sure whatever you buy can be returned, should it not fixed your issue.

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
12-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Free Member

Hi admin and thank you for the update. Its interesting to know that an amplifier may stop non video signals and a black screen is outputed. I have actually had arguments from people asking, why would a company sell a device that is not going to drive a tv, that doesn't make swear swear sense? I say to them, read this forum, the problem is quite common. I will construct a one stage transitor amp and try it out. I thought a vcrs av in out would fix the prob. m
01-30-2013, 02:41 AM
Former Site Staff | Computers

Let us know how the one stage transistor amp works out for you.

-JMP

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Check out my latest Editorial.