Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-24-2010, 11:20 PM
Free Member

I have an audio CD that I made less than 10 years ago which now shows up in several tools as being "blank." It was a Ritek, and the ID now reads as Xcitek.

Are there any tools that can get past the file table (I assume that it may ONLY be the file table that is lost) and allow me to recover the audio information? I have tried a program called CD Recovery Toolbox, and it is only good for correcting checksum errors.

Cliff Sloane
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-25-2010, 02:46 AM
Free Member

Try http://www.stellarinfo.com/cd-data-recovery.htm or http://www.isobuster.com/isobuster.php .
12-25-2010, 04:17 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Read over the methods listed here: Recover Data From a Bad Disc [GUIDE]
I'd first look at ISO Puzzle.

My other question would be this: How did you come to the conclusion that the disc was blank?

Remember that audio CDs are modulated digital audio, and file-less on disc. Put it into a dedicated audio CD player, and see if it's actually just a music disc.

If it's supposed to be data, then it may be an issue of the drive being locked by the OS. Reboot your computer, and look again.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
12-25-2010, 05:39 AM
Free Member

[QUOTE=admin;13826]Read over the methods listed here: Recover Data From a Bad Disc [GUIDE]
I'd first look at ISO Puzzle.

My other question would be this: How did you come to the conclusion that the disc was blank? [/QUOTE}

Audiograbber, Exact Audio Copy, DVD Identifier and Nero Disk Information all say there is nothing there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Remember that audio CDs are modulated digital audio, and file-less on disc. Put it into a dedicated audio CD player, and see if it's actually just a music disc.
Did that. It said there was no disk in the drive.

I will try some of those tools that were suggested and will report what happens.
12-25-2010, 10:36 AM
Free Member

Now I have two more programs to add to the list. Both Stella Phoenix and ISO Buster say the disc is blank.

Many of you may say that it must be blank, right? i know it isn't because I put an adhesive label on it before I learned not to do that.

I really think some sort of hex editor may be the only hope, and that is a longshot too.
12-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Free Member

If your drive supports it you could try scanning the disc for low level errors using for example http://www.cdspeed2000.com/ (called Disc Quality Scan). It will not bring data back but may shed some light to the issue.
12-25-2010, 12:33 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Flip the disc over. Does it have two shades in the dye layer? -- Both a burned and an unburned area? Few people really fill a disc to the last kilobyte, so it's rather easy to see the color differences, even on those "clear" dyes (the "silver" CD-R).

There is always the strong possibility that you labeled a blank disc. I know I've done it once or twice through the years, especially when I was in a rush to burn off a project.

It may really be blank.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-26-2010, 06:21 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

continued from email...
Keep all related technical discussion in the forums -- not PMs or emails. Thanks!

Quote:
lordsmurf: I know the disc was not blank because I played it often, back these many years.

Yes, there are two types of color on the disk, indicating that data was burned on the disc. But there is a rub:
The INNER ring is the different color, not the outer edge. This explains why it reads as blank, but it's still a mystery WHAT happened and WHY.

Tau Analyzer says the capacity is 69 minutes of a possible 79.
So now I think I have an extreme solution. I think I should try to burn a 10-minute audio track and leave it open. I have already "lost" those beginning 10 minutes, and nothing seems to recover the remaining data.
The disc can't be burned from the outside in, so the inner ring is always the burned area.
If you can clearly see two color zones on the disc, burned inner and unburned outer, then something was burned.

Could it simply be an issue that the disc has not been "finalized" (session closed, etc)

Do you have Nero? With Nero, it's pretty easy to close out a disc.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
12-26-2010, 07:50 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
The disc can't be burned from the outside in, so the inner ring is always the burned area.
If you can clearly see two color zones on the disc, burned inner and unburned outer, then something was burned.

Could it simply be an issue that the disc has not been "finalized" (session closed, etc)

Do you have Nero? With Nero, it's pretty easy to close out a disc.
VERY interesting for a number of reasons. Here are some questions:

1. Has it ever happened that data was lost on the INNER ring? I remember well when I burned it and I am convinced that this audio CD occupied nearly the entire disc capacity (It was a 75-minute live concert). So the two colors? Unless you have NEVER seen it before, I think data was lost on the INNER ring (roughly 10% of the area) and data remains on the OUTER 80%. If this is even remotely possible, it explains why it reads as "blank" and why none f the recovery programs can get past the inner ring.

2. I cannot find the choice to finalize a disc that all the programs say is completely blank. Is it in ImgBurn? I have Nero 8; older versions had it in the "Config" option, but I cannot find it in version 8. can you point me to it?
12-26-2010, 08:29 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

1. What you suggest is impossible. A disc cannot lose data in that manner. The thermal changes in the dye are permanent, at the time it is burned. If this were a DVD, two-toned colorization is easily explained by Z-CLV burning method, but I'm not readily aware of non-PCAV CD-R writing. I'd really have to know more about the disc's lineage, to postulate further.

2. I stopped using Nero with version 6, which I still use for data only, so I can't help much with version 8. In version 6, you can go to Recorder > Disc Info and it will show you any available sessions. I think that's where you can finalize, too. This is something I have to do maybe once every 3 years at most, so I don't always remember where it is -- it takes a few minutes of looking around for this non-obvious setting. The trouble with this is that you can't see the available setting unless you have a problem disc in the drive, which I don't have.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!