Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-19-2015, 05:39 PM
Premium Member

I found a way to play Blu-Ray programs on a PC with only a DVD drive, or even no optical drive at all. I insert the BD (Blu-Ray Disc) into the BD drive in a PC that DOES have one. If a built-in player tries to play the disc, I close that program, then open Windows Explorer, find the BD drive, and press Open, just to show the files on the disc. I open the BDMV folder, then the Stream folder. Inside that is one or more M2TS file, that has the program(s) I want to watch on a PC without a BD drive. I copy the file of the program to the PC on which I want to watch the program. Windows Media Player, VLC Media Player and other programs all can open and play an M2TS file, and it looks great, whether on a laptop or PC. Others may know of this, but I didn't, and it's a great way for me to be able to watch BD movies, etc. on my laptop, when I travel. Now, this may work only on homemade BDs, like I make, but I thought I'd mention it.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-19-2015, 11:46 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Yep. That's how you do it.

Because those BDMV files are so huge, I often use Avidemux 2.6 to shrink the file down -- both in resolution and bitrate (and thus file size).

Retail Blu-rays, of course, must be ripped with a decrypter like AnyDVD or DVDFab. Then you can copy over the files. (AnyDVD is a background decrypter, so you can use it to copy the files without a separate rip.)

Glad to see you around still. Traveling? Vacation? Go anywhere fun?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-22-2015, 12:49 AM
Premium Member

Thanks. I'll have to give Avidemux a try. Mostly at home right now, laying low and paying off everything from a new HVAC system to a car, furniture, etc. Should be in much better $$$ shape by next year (not that we're doing too badly now, with a FIFO >800....). I know this is public, but I'm not concerned. Still just making BDs of movies, documentaries and concerts. We actually watch one every once in a while! Actually figured out how (for the most part) to insert an SRT subtitle file into a new BD project, so subtitles would appear in the finished project. However, it doesn't always work, so I need to really review the TAW-5 subtitles tutorial, to see what I'm doing wrong. This is only a miniscule fraction of what I record, though, so more of a challenge that anything else. My mom died unexpectedly a couple of months ago, so no more CDs and DVDs for her. We were very close. Anyway, how are you and all our other watchers? Russell

-- merged --

Greetings from Earth. I have switched from making regular Blu-Ray discs (BD) to data BDs, with about 4-5 movies or programs on each. I can't edit the raw .TS files I add to them, but they're mostly ad-free anyway, so there may be a little filler at the start and end. This is a small price to pay, because I can get so much more on a BD (25Gb; 50Gbs just do NOT seem to be catching on, so still are expensive) and because my poor, abused CPU doesn't have to spend all day making a BD. It takes just 30 minutes or so for ImgBurn to crank out a data BD, and even during that short time the CPU does not peg out at 100%, like it did for HOURS, when making a regular BD. I wish I had a way to chop off what I don't want on the raw TS files, but this is still a much better way to go for me. I plan to get all the good movies recorded about 3 hours or so before I croak.
09-22-2015, 01:11 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Yep, try Avidemux, good software.

The AC going out (needed replacement) is never fun. That reminds me ... I need to email you a photo of my new toy.

I don't record much these days. I spent probably 15+ years creating a nice collection for myself, and it's really come in handy in recent years. When MS fatigue starts to get to me, I park my butt on a chair, or lay in the bed, put the TV on 60-minute sleep timer, and watch my toons and shows until I drift off. So far, I've managed to watch almost 3 drives, 1 per year. Only 10 more years to go!

I really do like TAW5 for simple BD authoring. TAW doesn't have the flaws that TDA did.

Sorry to hear about your mom.

This year has been busy for me. Late April was a hectic time, and I just missed this post. I'm sure it's in the queue somewhere, flagged for me to answer. Sorry about that, I wasn't ignoring you.

Good to hear you're still on Earth.

Avidemux can probably cut TS file. Did you try that? If not it, then look at TMPGEnc Smart Renderer.

I save a lot of modern shows as H.264 MP4. But I don't need or want discs. I can stream directly from my computer (Serviio) to my Samsung Blu-ray player or WDTV. Note that wired networking works best; I have a gigabit LAN. I can play DVD ISO directly from a USB drive plugged into the WD TV. So no need to waste time burning discs. Everything I transfer off tape is saved as 15mpbs MPEG-2 at SD resolution, and stored on drive. I can burn on BD if I want, but I rarely want.

It's amazing how things have changed from the 80s to 90s to 2000s to now.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: kctexan (09-22-2015)
09-22-2015, 01:24 AM
Free Member

You can use http://www.videohelp.com/software/H264TS-Cutter
Also, you can convert from TS to mkv, it will be smaller as TS has a lot of unnecessary data.
I used to convert mpg2 ts streams directly to dual layer DVD blurays (avchd), with cutting by a ts cutter. It was very fast, no encoding.