Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-22-2023, 09:16 AM
Free Member

My LG BC983W vcr seems to be stuck in a "Safe" mode, or probably child lock mode.

The only way I can turn the vcr on is by putting a tape inside and pressing play, which doesn't play the vcr but sends the VCRs signal to the tv. The only function that seems to work is the eject button, as none of the other front buttons seem to work, not even the power which I have to switch off at the wall plug in order to turn it off.

I don't currently have a remote for the VCR, is there a way I can turn off this mode without a remote?

I found a remote on eBay with a similar model number, is there a way I can connect / pair the remote to my VCR?

I don't have a copy of the user or service manuals for the VCR, and haven't been able to find one online.
I'm hoping someone has a copy they are willing to share.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg LG BC983W Safe02.jpg (44.9 KB, 2 downloads)
File Type: jpg LG BC983W Safe01.jpg (44.4 KB, 2 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-22-2023, 09:33 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,469 Times in 2,100 Posts
A lot of these low-end decks are worth fix, and not suggested for using even when perfectly "working".

If it's a deck feature, and the control is only on the remote, then you probably have to track one down.

Many times, a "similar" deck isn't as similar as you think, the remote will not work, parts internal are not shared (or even related).

A lot of these consumer VHS VCRs never had service manuals, as it was disposable e-waste when it stopped working. Repair was never intended. Just toss it, buy another.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-22-2023, 10:33 AM
Free Member

You can turn it off with a button on the remote. You don't need the exact one afaik, at least all my LG remotes seem cross-compatible with all my LG made decks, even with the ones that have different brands on them (other than possibly the RCT689 VCR/dvd-recorder combo). I have one that looks exactly like the model named just with a different brand/model number and both the remote for my LG V290 DVD/VCR combo and my older 2 head LG works on it. It might be possible to turn off with a button combo but couldn't find something that worked without the remote last time I tried on another LG that was locked.

My Video gear overview/test/repair/stuff yt channel http://youtu.be/cEyfegqQ9TU