Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-19-2024, 10:19 AM
Free Member

The s-video input on the TBC-1000 I bought yields somewhat dark video. Everything else seems to work fine that I've tested, including using the composite input in combination with outputting s-video. I believe I've isolated the problem to the s-video input or video that is processed via that input. I am thinking of having it repaired by someone who already did some work on the unit (outputs) but would really like to avoid the hefty shipping costs. Wondering if someone in the Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo, Michigan area can take a look and/or repair it. The unit's in great shape otherwise and I'd like to have it fully functional for transferring and reselling.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-19-2024, 10:43 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman73 View Post
I am thinking of having it repaired by someone who already did some work on the unit (outputs) but would really like to avoid the hefty shipping costs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman73 View Post
The unit's in great shape otherwise and I'd like to have it fully functional for transferring and reselling.
I am probably just reiterating what you're already thinking, but wanted to say it just in case, and for others who may ask the same thing but may not realize the high standard required in this situation to avoid causing any damage.

I know there are several members who have posted about repairing these, but the one I remember off-hand is DiopterDoctor as I've seen multiple posts/threads by him showing and detailing his work, and members confirming successful repairs. Dealing with someone like him is the only route to go in my mind. Maybe by chance he, or someone equivalent, will happen to be located close to you.

Personally, unless you get lucky with someone being near you, the only thing I'd do with an old & valuable unit like that is shipping it, insured & extremely well-packed, to a known professional with proven TBC-1000 diagnostic & repair results. $200, $300, $400 USD, the cost just is what it is. Best done sooner rather than later, as the prices of both the shipping and the labor charge for repair are only going to continue rising as they all continue to be hit with the costs of rising inflation.

recommended vcr+line tbc ---(Y/C)--> recommended frame tbc or "tbc-ish" ---(Y/C)--> capture
04-20-2024, 09:34 AM
Free Member

Drive time/gas involved is more likely to cost more than actually shipping it. I believe DiopterDoctor recaps the TBC-100 card inside and generally bypasses/removes the proc amp and may also run different cables from the inputs and outputs.

Since it sounds like your goal is to keep (and not modify it) to use/resell it, this project would most likely just be recapping. Recapping is more involved if you don't bypass the distribution amplifier because that has a lot of caps on it that you otherwise wouldn't need to change - and that does have quite a few caps on it.

I'd fully recap your unit (and otherwise leave it unmodified) for $250 including return shipping, and I am in mid Michigan. I'd expect turnaround time would be 1 week. It's not really worth driving and meeting because of the extra time/gas expense involved there. It would cost much more in gas/time than the likely sub $10 shipping to ship it within the state. I'm guessing it will fetch at least an extra $250 when you go to resell it because almost none of the units being sold (listed on ebay anyway) were never recapped and I've not seen a single unit of these that have good caps because they used pretty poor ones to begin with. I use only Nichicon, Rubycon, and Panasonic branded caps sourced from Mouser.com.

If interested, PM me.
04-20-2024, 09:41 PM
Free Member

aramkolt,
The shipping cost via priority mail flat rate box with what I would consider adequate insurance ($1500) was about $50 or $60 each way last time. I don't know how I could pay less than $10 shipping and have that kind of protection but maybe you can tell me.

-- merged --

mrmuy97
Thanks for the recommendation. I will try to contact DiopterDocter (apparently Diopter_Doctor).
The following users thank dantheman73 for this useful post: lordsmurf (04-21-2024)