Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-11-2023, 04:53 PM
Free Member

Panasonic AG-1980 that was last known to be working, but sat on the shelf too long. When I insert a tape it immediately ejects. Any thoughts on what to check and how to approach this? Everything lights up and seems to work, so I'm hoping this is a minor problem.

If not, looking for recommendations on a reliable and affordable shop where I can bring/send for a tune up.

NO, it is not for sale! Don't Ask!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-11-2023, 06:16 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Dew sensor?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-11-2023, 06:30 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Dew sensor?
Thanks. Would be nice if it was so simple. How much disassembly required to get access to jumper it and see?

Should I be concerned about caps in this deck? Or any other failure points due to age? I can certainly handle a dew sensor but might be a good time in my (and its) life to have it serviced by someone more capable. I didn't realize these would be so valuable or would have loaded up on them when I bought this one 17 years ago. They were giving them away back then. I paid $85 for it.
11-12-2023, 10:24 PM
Free Member

Per the AG-1980P user manual (page 4) if dew is sensed the display should flash the letter "d" but that assumes things are working normally.

This old thread discusses some possibilities.
https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr...e-loading.html

Do you see any indication of the display?

You should be concerned about the caps in the deck, Symptoms include dim display and picture issues such as "barber pole" like noise.

The FSM documents some diagnostics that can be run in service mode.
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: slowkidslow (11-14-2023)
11-13-2023, 09:10 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
Per the AG-1980P user manual (page 4) if dew is sensed the display should flash the letter "d" but that assumes things are working normally.

This old thread discusses some possibilities.
https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr...e-loading.html
Really good information there, but I don't think I should be experimenting on this deck at that level of engagement. I'll have to try service from a professional.
11-14-2023, 06:02 PM
Free Member

The good news is that someone came over to buy the AG-1830 I was basically giving away because the power supply was shot and I asked him if he knew what he was getting into and he said that he serviced them for years. Asked if he was interested in a paying job servicing an AG-1980 and he might take it on. Enough of a conversation to tell he wasn't b.s.ing me so hope that I can get this repaired without having to pay cost of shipping back & forth even though Houston is not so far away.
11-18-2023, 09:43 AM
Free Member

If you can post a short video with the top cover off as you put the tape in, that'll probably be pretty telling where the hangup is. Most common thing I see is either loading motor coupler is broken or the pinch roller arm lubricant dries up and becomes like cement which freezes up the mechanism and it probably then tries to unload once it detects the mechanism isn't moving. Could also be the mode switch is dirty, but that's not nearly as common of a mechanism failure.