Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-20-2018, 09:42 AM
Free Member

I have recently seen two FS200 VCR's with failed picture. Goes dark and full of noise.

I have found a fix, and can repair this issue. If you have such a VCR and want it fixed I can repair your PCB and return it to you for £50. Its quite an involved job and basically some odd value very small capacitors need replacing.

If you have a failed or failing FS200 drop me a line. All FS200's will eventually get this issue unless something else fails first.

I'm pleased I found a fix as I was concerned for both my mint FS200's too.
The following users thank Quasipal for this useful post: lordsmurf (09-19-2018)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-18-2018, 10:08 AM
Free Member

How do i drop you, quasipal, a line?

Do you service Panasonic FS200s for anyone. I also have one and it could do with it servicing and checking out.

It currently is working so maybe it comes under the heading "if it ain't broke don't fix it". However to know its running well would be very encouraging.

How do i get in touch with you?
09-18-2018, 03:19 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHSREFRESH View Post
How do i drop you, quasipal, a line?

Do you service Panasonic FS200s for anyone. I also have one and it could do with it servicing and checking out.

It currently is working so maybe it comes under the heading "if it ain't broke don't fix it". However to know its running well would be very encouraging.

How do i get in touch with you?
If you send me a private message I can then send you my contact details.

I'm always happy to help anyone on this forum if I can and can take a look at your VCR.

FS200 is a good deck. Well worth preserving.
The following users thank Quasipal for this useful post: lordsmurf (09-19-2018)
09-19-2018, 06:49 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasipal View Post
I'm always happy to help anyone on this forum if I can and can take a look at your VCR.
Always appreciated.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-15-2021, 04:59 PM
Free Member

Hi Quasipal

Don't know if your still around mate but I have just sent you a pm regarding a small issue with a fs200 I just purchased, wondered if your still repairing these machines?
04-15-2021, 05:37 PM
Free Member

PM noted. I can fix most issues but parts suppliers have pretty much dried up, so some faults needing heads or capstan motors will require parts that are no longer available new.
04-16-2021, 11:04 AM
Free Member

I have just posted it back can't be doing with people who can't even test it when selling an item. How and why eBay let people sell items as used when not tested! It's a contradiction on selling when they have a used option and a for parts only when you know it's not working. If you don't know it's not working and you can't test it they should be made to sell as for parts only.
04-16-2021, 12:23 PM
Free Member

Yes and no, Some sellers are outright liars some really don't know how what they are selling works, So if the VCR powered up and plays back a tape they think it's working, So as a buyer you have to ask technical questions and come up with a description of the VCR condition based on those answers. The truth with vintage electronics is that not everyone should be buying them, they are not brand new electronics that you would go to the store and buy, It's like classic cars, if you don't know about them and how their internals work don't buy them or have someone with knowledge assist you in getting one and getting it serviced.
The following users thank latreche34 for this useful post: Quasipal (04-16-2021)
04-16-2021, 01:25 PM
Free Member

That's it exactly. And I run classic cars too. As a friend said to me (his passion is audio cassette decks) is to consider ALL tape decks having at least one problem at this point even if they have sat unused in their boxes.

The main issue is dried up grease. This affects all old mechanical items like cameras and such, it has turned to a stiff and resisting paste which will just work to stop things that are supposed to be free and capacitors are like batteries, they go bad and leak in time.
04-16-2021, 04:18 PM
Free Member

I work with computers and I know how electronics work and I know how a business like eBay works they don't care about what gets sold as long as they make money, but they won't make money if sellers don't agree to test items properly.

It's not rocket science with most electronics, it's not hard to find a VHS tape to test the unit, it's not hard to put the tape in and notice straight away there is a problem when it's making a noise like this one is doing. It was a 1st mistake for me with this unit because it was the 1st time I have never asked the seller to test it before I put a bid in, so I hold my hands up for this 1st mistake it was a rush purchase. I shouldn't have purchased it by the sellers description of the item but like I said it was a rushed (chanced) purchase

Quote:
Panasonic NV-FS200 SVHS Video Recorder VHS.NO REMOTE. Condition is "Used".
WAS IN FULL WORKING ORDER A FEWS YEARS AGO
HASNT BEEN USED SINCE..
DONT HAVE ANY VHS TAPES
Now if this hasn't been used for years and the seller doesn't have any tapes to sell it then the seller like many others should have said in the description (item being sold as parts only due to not being able to test the item) this should be a standard format for eBay listing. Even under eBay's item specifics it says

Quote:
Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.

Condition:
Used: An item that has been previously used. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or an item that has been returned to the seller after a period of use. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections.
So the seller is actually abusing eBay's own selling laws and contradicting what the above says and should be penalized in accordance to eBay's own laws.

I should have more knowledge with the inside of VCR's with the years I have been working with them, it's just me not having the time because of the work I have to do with PC's, but if I learned years ago how to fix them I would have done it myself. The last 10 years or so I haven't found anyone in the UK who will deal with my own fs200 machine they just won't take it on, not much up with it just that I can't afford my main VCR to go down, hence me being too quick purchasing stuff from eBay on the cheap instead of purchasing from 2 known retailers in VCR's it's my own fault.

Will take this as my last lesson in not to rush into things and buy one from a respected seller.
04-16-2021, 06:14 PM
Site Staff | Video

Most eBay (video gear) sellers are either (1) incompetent, or (2) try to cover incompetence by lying and using weasel terms/words.
Very few sellers are intentionally deceptive. (Example = that a-hole in Houston TX.)
Very few sellers are competent.

So "working" and "tested" are often just BS. The person simply does not know if truly working correctly (ie, not qualified), and makes often-wrong assumption about it working correctly.

Lack of testing is an obvious sign.

Again, about 85%+ of all VCRs on eBay are obvious trash. That other 15% can vary from problematic (largest % of the 15%), to actually functioning well (slim %, mostly from that slim % of competent sellers). Price also has no relation to quality. In fact, you'll often find the most costly units are part of that 85% trash %. It's just greedy sellers trying to sell their trash for cash. Literally.

A great example is that "for part" TBC-1000 for $1k. Seriously, WTF? For $1k, you either (a) need to test, or (b) realize it's worth a tiny fraction of the ask. I wouldn't touch that thing for more than $100, as a TBC-1000 can be irreparable (and I've seen at least 4-5 in recent years). If the TBC mainboard is failed, the only "parts" are the metal case and some wires. When the mainboard is gone, 99% likely the VP299 is as well. I recently thoroughly documented the TBC-1000 with photos (multiple units, very detailed info), for a forum post that I'd like to do when I have time.

Craigslist and eBay are no different for cars. Buyer beware, assume the seller is BS'ing you.

04-16-2021, 06:30 PM
Free Member

Some good points raised. One often overlooked aspect is what was the deck previously used for.

If for 'just under the TV with light use' that will still have been powered up for over a decade with subsequent dimming of displays and heat damaged components.
If for video editing the display will be likely ok but the mechanism will have taken a battering and clutches and motors will be now playing up.
If sold as 'used in commercial premises' that can mean used as a video duplicator or CCTV for thousands of hours of drum wear.

VCR's were bought for a reason and taken out of service after they had fulfilled that.

In my experience the absolute best chance of success is to get one that was used to record audio as part of a system. So light use, less chance of being left on and someone cared enough to make it part of a system rather than an under the TV utility.

Alwaysask if possible, if they don't know, that's an instant price reduction in my book.
04-16-2021, 08:11 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
(1) incompetent
That's all you needed to say about 99% of eBay sellers and it's 100% true.

Quote:
Always ask if possible, if they don't know, that's an instant price reduction in my book.
I have offered sellers £50 quite a few times because of this and explained to them why should I bid for an item when you can't even test it for me!! they either decline the offer or ignore it and still take it to auction knowing that it will be sent back, I just don't understand their mentality when all the buyer will do is send it back this not making them any money, eBay will always refund the buyer when an item has been sent back with the not working option they have to because eBay can't check them so have to honour the buyer.

There's quite a few shops in Europe I might give one a try but no idea how these guys are? the other one in the Netherlands comes across way too much for me. I have always checked the positrone shop does some nice prices but just don't know how reliable these shops are.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/dragonxdr...p2047675.l2563
https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/positrone...p2047675.l2563

Ps @ Quasipal

I will still probably send you my working one soon as I have caught up with the recordings I am doing at the moment, I will pm you mate if this is ok. You might as well do this to mine and have a look at the TBC I think it's working but not 100%.

Last edited by lojelo5; 04-16-2021 at 08:35 PM.
04-19-2021, 12:01 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Always ask if possible, if they don't know, that's an instant price reduction in my book.
Even then, they may BS you.

If I ever get a PAL Panasonic deck, I may ask to have you, or hodgey, or somebody, check it out before shipping it overseas. Buy from eBay/wherever, send it there first for a pitstop check. Unless I buy from somebody really reputable (if anybody has any). The main issue is these decks are getting more obscure. In NTSC, finding AG-1980 in any condition is getting to be a PITA. While JVC has always been slightly better to acquire in PAL (not sure why, it just is), Panasonic is about the same NTSC or PAL. Before I started refurbing JVCs myself, I did that for others quite a few times.

04-19-2021, 03:28 PM
Free Member

Hey lordsmurf

Question mate, it's about the similarity between the TBC's in the Panasonic nv-fs200 & AG4700 do they use the same card? I haven't looked at where the card is on the 4700 but if these are the same could one be switched from one machine to the other!!

Edit, ok it's in the same place but I can't get the top off it to look at the board will need to take it out fully so I can remove the top and see what card is in there.

Last edited by lojelo5; 04-19-2021 at 03:45 PM.
04-23-2021, 02:47 PM
Free Member

Got 2 recordings here of the same video both done on my FS200 the one that needs some attention.

I will say the quality of this video is poor anyway picture quality and sound was bad from when it was released, I am just sharing these 2 because of the problem I am seeing at the moment I am seeing way too much noise on the picture.

1st one was done last December you can see it's not too bad
https://1fichier.com/?ril5r0ziftknsjpns9sl

This one was done a week ago way too much noise
https://1fichier.com/?ufrmu96yot24op8s4ghs

The above is why I need my machine looking at asap, I'm not touching it now until I get it looked at (just hope Quasipal sees this)
04-27-2021, 05:11 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lojelo5 View Post
Got 2 recordings here of the same video both done on my FS200 the one that needs some attention.

I will say the quality of this video is poor anyway picture quality and sound was bad from when it was released, I am just sharing these 2 because of the problem I am seeing at the moment I am seeing way too much noise on the picture.

1st one was done last December you can see it's not too bad
https://1fichier.com/?ril5r0ziftknsjpns9sl

This one was done a week ago way too much noise
https://1fichier.com/?ufrmu96yot24op8s4ghs

The above is why I need my machine looking at asap, I'm not touching it now until I get it looked at (just hope Quasipal sees this)
I'm seeing more FS200 and FS88 with problems this past two years. A shame as it's a good deck.

I have been able to resolve this issue by replacing capacitors in the video circuit but there are also some 50 Volt bipolar capacitors under the head drum which are impossible to in the size needed and fitting modern equivalent means the drum cannot have the lower PCB attached. Hopefully not those, they are failing on late 80's decks at the moment. Those result in low signal and poor tracking.

I can take a look for sure, and I have messaged you.
04-27-2021, 08:50 AM
Free Member

The NV-FS88, FS200, HS1000 etc have 35V 2.2uf bipolar caps on the Cylinder drive C.B.A, is it those you're talking about?
I wonder if it would be possible to use ceramic ones in place, or would those have too low impedance or other characteristics making them sub-optimal?

At least, they did use the same pcb and chip for that part on most decks from around that time, so if nothing else one could maybe salvage parts from a lower-end model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lojelo5 View Post
Hey lordsmurf
Question mate, it's about the similarity between the TBC's in the Panasonic nv-fs200 & AG4700 do they use the same card? I haven't looked at where the card is on the 4700 but if these are the same could one be switched from one machine to the other!!
They use some of the same chips but they differ a fair bit. If they use the same outputs maybe in theory it would be possible to rewire and adapt it as the connections to make it work as they communicate with simple high/low voltage rather than serial like on newer decks. It would probably be a very daunting task though.

EDIT: They have some different inputs used so probably not.
04-27-2021, 02:53 PM
Free Member

Quote:
I'm seeing more FS200 and FS88 with problems this past two years. A shame as it's a good deck.

I have been able to resolve this issue by replacing capacitors in the video circuit but there are also some 50 Volt bipolar capacitors under the head drum which are impossible to in the size needed and fitting modern equivalent means the drum cannot have the lower PCB attached. Hopefully not those, they are failing on late 80's decks at the moment. Those result in low signal and poor tracking.

I can take a look for sure, and I have messaged you.

Thanks Quasipal, I've sent you an email explaining more about the fs200 hopefully it's something simple like a few caps need changing.

@ hodgey

Thanks for that info mate much appreciated no point in trying then especially when the 4700 is working perfectly fine.
05-03-2021, 06:27 AM
Free Member

Good morning everyone.
My name is Nicola, I write from Italy and I love old video recorders.
I recovered a Panasonic NV-FS200 which has a problem: connecting it to a TV with a scart socket on AV1, no video signal but audio present.
If I connect VCR to RF coaxial antenna, video signal is excellent in color, audio is also present.
If I connect to AV3 (S-video and rca audio), video signal present but in black and white, audio is ok, same if i connect to AV4 IN from a videocamera .
Direct cable S-Video/S-Video from TV to Vcr signal video b&W .
How can I solve the problem? Thank you for your answers