Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-06-2018, 05:27 AM
Free Member

Hi!
So i recently found my old vcr and a number of tapes. The vcr is in good working order and plays 90% of the vhs tapes i found. However a few of the tapes do not display the picture or any sound when inserted in the vcr including an old home Christmas video. The time on the player remains at 0:00:00 when these tapes are inside and are played, re-winded or fast forwarded. The tapes still play in the vcr from beginning to end so i know its not jammed or anything. I disassembled some of the tapes to see if they were wound too tight or if there was any dirt and even replaced the reels from the original vhs' to another working one but the tapes remained the same when i inserted it again with no picture of movement of the timer. Also 2 or 3 of the other tapes that were previously working fine suddenly stopped playing like the others and showed no picture and the timer no longer moved on the vcr. Again the vcr is fine i presume its just certain vhs tapes that have stopped working properly so im sure the issue is with them specifically. Not sure what to do and would be eternally grateful for a solution!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-06-2018, 06:53 PM
Free Member

Quote:
...old vcr...The vcr is in good working order and plays 90% of the vhs tapes i found.
That is not assured, especially if old and it sat unused for years. That some tapes played OK recently and now don't indicates a potentially serious issue.
What make/model is it?
Has it been serviced since you "found" it?
Does it have automatic muting/blanking if it encounters a tape it cannot play?

Can you try the problematic tapes in a different VCR?
09-06-2018, 07:38 PM
Free Member

It is a Sanyo videoplus and nothings been done to it since i started using it again. Im not exactly sure what you mean by automatic muting/blanking but the timer on the vcr stays at 0:00:00 when these tapes are played/re-winded/fast forwarded in it. And i have another vcr a philips turbo drive which i disassembled to clean the vcr head to which only one of the tapes that stopped working in the initial one worked in this one briefly. The philips one is still kinda fault showing a distorted image but the tape still played with sound until the vcr went funny again. The other tapes had no picture/ sound or anything when put in the cleaned philips one. So still kinda confused what to do if its just the tapes fault that its not playing and what to do to it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
That is not assured, especially if old and it sat unused for years. That some tapes played OK recently and now don't indicates a potentially serious issue.
What make/model is it?
Has it been serviced since you "found" it?
Does it have automatic muting/blanking if it encounters a tape it cannot play?

Can you try the problematic tapes in a different VCR?
09-14-2018, 07:01 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
I don't recall Sanyo actually being a manufacturer, just rebadges from cheap Asian manufacturers. For example, in the 2000s, it'd have actually been a Funai. Not quality.

You're in UK, correct? Meaning PAL. You'd do yourself a great service by buying a good S-VHS JVC deck (with TBC) for about £200 to £300 range. Buy it, use it, resell it.

Because right now you're gambling, taking a risk, by using old junky VCRs from 15-30 years ago.
- At best, ff the machines work, the image will be crap anyway.
- At worst, you'll have tapes destroyed from a POS VCR.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-17-2018, 06:59 AM
Free Member

What brand and type are the tapes that don't play? Some cheap tapes are failing now. They just shed and block the heads instantly.
09-17-2018, 09:37 AM
Premium Member

Sanyo built their own decks in the 80s. For a while they only used the Sanyo brand on Betamax decks while VHS decks got the Fisher brand.
The following users thank NJRoadfan for this useful post: lordsmurf (09-17-2018)

Tags
no picture, player, vcr, vhs, vhs tapes