Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-18-2019, 03:50 AM
Free Member

Thanks for clarify this.
I have read you go the SDI Capture way. Yeah this could be a upgrade to the HDMI capture. Unfortunately I haven't tried it. My main capture card is the Canopus NX.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-02-2020, 02:45 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
Got an rca to hdmi dongle here, and it looks absolutely horrible, but it seems not all those that are sold are quite as bad, seems a bit hit and miss though.
If you desperately want a direct-to-mp4 solution, maybe something like this would work, at least you will have some idea of what you are getting.
Interesting device this ClonerAlliance Cloner Box Pro
In the video
7.21 Capture from MiniDV. It will deinterlace and capture to a full 60 fps. It cannot capture 4:3 in 720p og 1080p but adds pillarbox
14.00 capturing from VHS, but glitches, audio not good. It supports PAL but converts from 50 to 60 fps

Because of the pillarboxing, the possible glitches and bad audio I think it is not a good option for capturing analog 4:3 video. But the idea of a device that captures, deinterlaces and upscales is tempting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
It's no news to us that internet players can't handle interlace, can't handle telecine, don't resize well, and can't handle non-square formats. So for 4:3 originals, folks like YouTube with their pretty dumb online players require that you get your capture into progressive double-frame-rate mode with QTGMC, resize to 960x720 (Avisynth's spline64 algorithm and nnedi3-rpow2 do a neat job of upsizing), then add side pillars to make the 16:9 1280x720 frame they usually require. YouTube will resize and down-sample the bitrate for several choice sizes before mounting, so do a clean job (because they'll use the quickest and dirtiest methods they can and certainly won't make any improvements for you).
I have uploaded 960x720 to youtube, with no side pillars. Like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEI9BFXmeNc
You mention double-frame-rate. Should I use the double framerate generated by QTGMC? Right now I add the SelectEven() command to get back to 25 fps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogilein View Post
If you use a dvd recorder in passthrough mode for the jitter correction and as tbc replacement (like many of us do) there is a analog to digital conversation on the input signal and if you use the S-Video/Composite connectors for the outputs, there will be a digital to analog conversation. When you use a dvd-recorder with hdmi output you can save this digital to analog conversation. You can grab the digital file. The Blackmagic card was the only one who could capture this file in YUV2 uncompressd via the HDMI Input of the card. There is no upscaling or deinterlacing. You only grab the digital file in 720x576i resolution. Testing has only made with PAL equipment.
I have a Panasonic DMR-EX77 with HDMI output.
Right now I capture analog like this VCR > ES15 > Hauppauge USB 2 live > PC
I understand a HDMI capture workflow would then be
VCR > EX77 > Blackmagic > PC
This workflow seems to be tested and recommended by some in the internet. But as you say no upscaling or deinterlacing. So not an advantage unless the quality is better.

A stand alone S-VHS/Scart to HDMI converter with integrated upscaling and deinterlacing would be nice. But the conclusion seems to be that these HDMI converter/scalers are just not good enough quality.

Last edited by jnielsen; 01-02-2020 at 03:36 PM.
12-19-2020, 05:46 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
The problem with those workflow links you posted is that they use a crappy VCR with composite output only, then input it into the DVD recorder and convert it to S-Video and then convert it to digital, upscale it and de-interlace it, total butchery, If they believe in that workflow they should have used a S-VHS VCR that can extract the Y/C signal from tape without further damage. ...
Dear Latreche34,
I already have JVC GR-AX68 VHS-C camcorder and JVC HR667 VCR which I intend to use in a similar workflow as follows: VHS-C camcorder / VCR > Panasonic DMR-ES10 as a passthrough > Kramer FC-400 as a TBC > Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle external capturing device > notebook for further editing/conversion of which I have not yet decided the details.
My 1990’s camcorder / VCR naturally have composite outputs only. Therefore, the signal will be converted to S-Video by the DVD recorder and sent to S-Video input of Kramer FC-400 and further via S-Video output to the capturing device for digital conversion – the scheme you were very critical of. Was it because of the subsequent upscaling / de-interlacing, because of ‘crappy VCRs’ or both ? Is using a not Super VHS VCR an absolute crime? I remember seeing the (Lordsmurf’s?) remark that sometimes a good VHS VCR could be better than a degraded S-VHS. I just came across a used JVC-HDR7600EU S/VHS (as an example), which sells for around $200 on the local market. Mine is a home animal, the one for sale is of unknown state (declared ‘good’ and ‘working’). It is claimed it has a built-in TBC. If I opt for this device will DMR-ES10's TBC become obsolete? Is it actually worth doing (switching to Super-VHS and to that model in particular)? Thanks in advance for the reply. Other members' replies also welcome!
12-19-2020, 06:59 PM
Free Member

If you mean the HR-J667, those models are pretty decent as far as standard VHS hi-fi VCRs go and share a fair bit of the chips and mechanics with the SVHS variants from the same lineup such as the HR-S7600 (though they don't support SVHS and lack S-Video and TBC/DNR function obviously). Combining it with an ES10 is a decent low-budget setup IMO.

You don't strictly need the TBC unit if you already use an ES10 or similar but it can sometimes be useful. They do give a stable output signal, though they can output copy-protection if it thinks the input signal has it which can trip up some capture cards, and they turn off the S-Video and composite outputs if they see no input signal (which can happen during playback if you have a tape that was recorded to without any video input on the VCR.) I have yet to check if the same is true for the component output.
The following users thank hodgey for this useful post: Subarit (12-20-2020)
12-19-2020, 08:58 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subarit View Post
Other members' replies also welcome!
Note: This post has overlap with another post: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-fc-400-a.html
See advice in both.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-20-2020, 02:50 PM
Free Member

Quote:
If you mean the HR-J667, those models are pretty decent as far as standard VHS hi-fi VCRs ...
Sorry, was not aware there exists a JVC with a similarly looking model number - HR-J667. Mine is HR-D667MS spelled with a 'D', which is just a plain VHS format.

Quote:
You don't strictly need the TBC unit if you already use an ES10 or similar but it can sometimes be useful...
I am afraid I do need it: today I experienced playing back a VHS-C cassette recorded in 1997 which sat in a box for a decade or two. Tried to capture the video with a Blackmagic USB 3.0 device from my camcorder for testing purposes. While the picture in the viewfinder was visibly quite good and stable the image on the screen, sourced by the capturing device, was flickering each 2 to 5 seconds as if some frames were missing and replaced by black screen. The device refused to capture video with the onscreen warning saying that this was due to multiple frame drops. There were warnings on this and other forums that Blackmagic requires a clean signal (like most capturing devices ?). Tomorrow I'll try and do a test in a studio with an ES10 passthru and an EZCap USB capturing device.