05-15-2017, 04:00 AM
Free Member

Hello, i need your help one more time.
Finally i managed to get a very good unit of jvc hm-dr10000eu Works great so i am very happy.
But when i tryed to plug it in the tv, surprise, the scart socket in my tv only have composite signal, so the picture quality is not the best, and the tv have not s-video imput.
The tv has some hdmi imputs, and as analog imput the scart, a composite minijack 3,5mm and component adapter too.
I dont know if it is posible to get some adaptator from s-video to composite signal.
I found some adaptators in amazon that transfer analog signal to digital signal.
i dont know if this adaptators have tcb or maybe is not needed when the analog signal is converted to digital signal.
The main idea is to get the best picture quality possible.
As you can see i am very confusing. so i hope you can help me.
Thanks
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-15-2017, 09:43 AM
Free Member

So when you switch AV1 OUT on the back of the VCR from COMP to Y/C you lose the image completely? Also, you're sure the SCART cable itself supports Y/C?

An adapter from S-Video to composite will not produce a better picture than just connecting composite SCART from VCR to the TV.

If you're not able to get Y/C over SCART, your best option is to convert the S-Video output to HDMI somehow. The cheap Chinese converters you see on Amazon and eBay do a poor job as far as colors, scaling, and deinterlacing. Usually they force 720p/1080i/1080p output, offering no option for native output. This means they always have to deinterlace, which IMO is the most complex part of the conversion and the easiest to get wrong (besides TBC, I suppose).

Buying an older professional scaler may be an option, if you can score one used for cheap. But I think the best bet would be a DVD recorder with S-Video input and HDMI output. In particular, an older Panasonic model that offers multiple output resolutions for you to test which works best: 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i.

Or if you don't own any A/V receiver & speaker setup, consider investing in one and then buy an AVR that can do this conversion at every resolution. Though S-Video inputs on AVRs are getting harder to find, as well.
05-16-2017, 05:53 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post
Or if you don't own any A/V receiver & speaker setup, consider investing in one and then buy an AVR that can do this conversion at every resolution. Though S-Video inputs on AVRs are getting harder to find, as well.
What is a AVR, i dont know this tool.

Thanks for all
05-16-2017, 02:44 PM
Free Member

Audio/Video Receiver.
05-17-2017, 02:10 AM
Free Member

Thanks.
I understand that This AVR is a central where i can put plug many imputs like old vhs and betamax players, consoles etc and can send the signal in native resolution and can upscaler the signal, like a switch and upscaler at the same time this is right?

Has that AVR some image treatment or only can recieved and send the signal?.
I understand that a good quality AVR has no lost picture quality like cheap chinese, right?, i dont want to see the s-vhs like bluray this is impossible, but at least i dont want to loose picture quality
Please correct me if i am wrong.
I see many models, like Pioneer, Harmann Kardon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon etc.
Can you recomend me a good one.
it is clear that the unit will be second hand, because i cant find any new one with s-video and hdmi.
Thanks and please correct me if i am wrong.
I have no experience in this AVR
05-25-2017, 05:22 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
These days, quality VCRs are generally only for converting video to digital. Trying to input them into a modern a/v home theatre setup requires conversions, some of which can degrade quality.

I have some of the best VCRs ever made -- and I'd never bother trying to plugin those into my HD setups. It won't be pretty.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs