05-21-2021, 12:43 PM
Free Member

Hello

I start to copy some of my family VHS, and as probably many before me, I come to the point where I need to make some heavy investments .

My current setup
Philips combo DVD ( with s-video and composite out) - I know crap
BlackMagicDesign Intensity Shuttle - for capture
PowerPC - RTX Ryzen and all good stuff

Software:
I use Win10 Blackmagic Resolve(Free) and VirtualDub (some AI software for denoise)

Now my first problem I can buy one of these VCRs

JVC HR-S7711EU

Below VCRs from an old Panasonic service technician so should be in pristine condition.
Panasonic NV-HS950
Blaupunkt RTV-925
Panasonic NV-FS100

or I can invest in software for better denoise and edit (I'm from Europe so TBC are like $$$$$$, not an option ;()

let me know if I can get any better by buying a "new" VCR or software look at the picture and tell me how bad or good they are.

Left Raw and Right with deinterlacing
rawanddebTest.jpg

Left RAW and Right NEAT VIDEO FILTER ( Just fast settings nothing fancy)
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

And last AI DeNoise video after deinterlacing
rawandNeat.jpg

I don't have a big budget only 400$ so let me know in what direction should I go Software or Hardware and which should I buy.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-21-2021, 01:43 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Get the VCR.
Then learn Avisynth, most powerful restoration tool + it's freeware

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-21-2021, 01:47 PM
Free Member

If you can read german language, I would read this tutorial from a german video forum:
https://gleitz.info/forum/index.php?...en-und-andere/

I can only recommend the Shuttle if you record via HDMI using a DVD recorder as a TBC replacement and an HDMI splitter to bypass HDCP encryption.
However, setting it up is not easy. If this is too complicated for you, you should get another capture card.

I would buy the Blaupunkt RTV 950 (with TBC), a Sony/Pioneer DVD-Rcorder from the last generation (LX60,560, Sony 680,RDR200....), Panasonic EH65 or EH495 all with HDMI out.
Or a JVC DR-MH300 which needs no HDMI splitter to remove the hdcp protection if you don't want to capture copy protected tapes.
05-21-2021, 02:14 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Get the VCR.
Then learn Avisynth, most powerful restoration tool + it's freeware
Could you point to one from the list I gave?

@Bogilein - I would also buy 950, but I can't find it from some trusted source. I will use a translator and try to get as much as possible from the link you pasted.

Thank You all for such a fast response.