Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-13-2021, 12:00 PM
Premium Member

Hi,

I have 3 different JVC SVHS VCRs (with line TBC), but the three of them do not seem to offer the same quality of captures. I am trying to pick the best device out of the 3 to do my other captures.

I did some comparisons on my own, opened the videos in AVSpmod and compared some frames and picked one but I would like to hear a second opinion.

Do you guys mind giving your opinions on these captures.

I have attached 2 clips, each capped from the 3 devices, with TBC on and off.

for people who have experience with JVC decks: In addition to the question of which out of the 3 is better, how do my captures compare in general to what you would expect from a high-end JVC deck?

Setup: VCR-> Hauppauge live2 -> Virtual dub lossless capture.

Thanks in advance

Attached Files
File Type: zip VCR1off.zip (41.71 MB, 10 downloads)
File Type: zip VCR1on.zip (87.75 MB, 8 downloads)
File Type: zip VCR2off.zip (60.34 MB, 5 downloads)
File Type: zip VCR2on.zip (60.08 MB, 7 downloads)
File Type: zip VCR3.zip (75.06 MB, 7 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-13-2021, 02:16 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
What are the models?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-13-2021, 02:56 PM
Premium Member

I didn't mention them for 2 reasons:
- They're not US models, so I doubt people here would know them... but they were all made between 1999-2003, and the 3 have same functionalities.
- I was afraid users might be biased based on specs/model

I thought the comparaison is model-independent? so mentioning them would be irrelevant (I might be wrong ?), + who knows if any of these is not performing like it should... so for example if model X is generally better than model Y, there is still a possibility that my unit of model Y is not performing well/as intended... (that's what I think but feel free to correct me if I am wrong)
06-13-2021, 09:50 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
I can look blindly at VCRs, but sometimes knowing the model helps me watch for known defects of the model. Blind advice from a tiny clip will be far more prone to errors, it's less scientific. A/B testing isn't good when both are unknown variables.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-14-2021, 04:44 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbassiouny View Post
Hi,

I have 3 different JVC SVHS VCRs (with line TBC), but the three of them do not seem to offer the same quality of captures. I am trying to pick the best device out of the 3 to do my other captures...
Even if they were exactly the same make and model, with consecutive serial numbers, it's irrelevent now.

An otherwise excellent condition machine but with a dirty tape path or one small fault can make the audio and video playback terrible, even non existent. An inexpensive machine in top condition can run rings around it.

It comes down to each unit's condition right now at this moment. This is the last thing most people want to hear but sadly it's true.
The following users thank timtape for this useful post: mbassiouny (06-14-2021)
06-14-2021, 04:47 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtape View Post

It comes down to each unit's condition right now at this moment. This is the last thing most people want to hear but sadly it's true.
I know, this is is exactly what I said in my reply number #3 http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post78041 even if my vcr 1 is the best of the 3, the condition and age may make it worse than the 2 and 3 which are normally worse.
06-14-2021, 05:17 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbassiouny View Post
I know, this is is exactly what I said in my reply number #3 http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post78041 even if my vcr 1 is the best of the 3, the condition and age may make it worse than the 2 and 3 which are normally worse.
Yes you did and I support what you said.
The following users thank timtape for this useful post: mbassiouny (06-14-2021)