Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-20-2024, 09:11 AM
Free Member

In tandem with my JVC HR-S9600U, I used a Funai SV200 (Model No. WV806) DVD/VCR Combo in a few instances for my vhs captures. There is nothing special about this unit, and for certain it's not one that would be recommended here, but it just happened to be the one I already owned prior to researching proper vhs capture. I have two queries regarding this unit:

1.) I purposefully misaligned the SV200 to capture a VHS-C tape whose alignment was also off. I didn't do so with the S9600 so I wouldn't risk messing up the better of the two units. Although I got a proper capture of that tape as a result, I am having a terrible time realigning the SV200. I have neither a CRT nor an oscilloscope which obviously makes things worse. Doing it the very wrong way (pulling and pushing on the guide poles) is getting me closer back to a stabilized image than doing it the right way (slowly turning both poles with a flathead one by one). I was wondering if there was any other technique I might employ on this unit to before giving up on it altogether. I'm sort of fond of this model for general use outside of capture, so worse case scenario I guess I'll get another one.

2.) Before I'd further researched this topic, I was using the SV200 for all my captures. I held onto those captures to compare with the recent ones on the S9600. I've found that on some (but not all) of my tapes, specifically VHS-C ones, the audio on the SV200 is significantly clearer than on the S9600. Voices are more intelligible, and there's no sibilance distortion nor muffling of any kind, which many of the tapes suffered from when captured through the S9600. Is there any particular reason why this might be the case? Currently I am attempting to re-capture just the audio on these tapes through the SV200 and then sync the resultant WAV files with the AVI files previously captured through the S9600. This is when I was reminded of the bad alignment on the device. It doesn't affect the audio, but just for my own satisfaction I'd rather the whole unit be in working condition again.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-20-2024, 05:56 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthony View Post

.. 2.) Before I'd further researched this topic, I was using the SV200 for all my captures. I held onto those captures to compare with the recent ones on the S9600. I've found that on some (but not all) of my tapes, specifically VHS-C ones, the audio on the SV200 is significantly clearer than on the S9600. Voices are more intelligible, and there's no sibilance distortion nor muffling of any kind, which many of the tapes suffered from when captured through the S9600. Is there any particular reason why this might be the case? Currently I am attempting to re-capture just the audio on these tapes through the SV200 and then sync the resultant WAV files with the AVI files previously captured through the S9600. This is when I was reminded of the bad alignment on the device. It doesn't affect the audio, but just for my own satisfaction I'd rather the whole unit be in working condition again.
I'm a technician. Before anything I would check the A/C head face is clean, especially at the top where the audio section is. Then I would identify and carefully turn the azimuth screw a little - with a suitable non magnetic screwdriver -while listening to the audio, adjusting for maximum clarity and sharpness. The audio clarity using the Funai could possibly be improved even more by this method. Do not adjust other A/C head screws. Only the azimuth screw, and usually only a fraction of one turn. As with video height guides, use a fine tipped oil based marker pen to mark the original adjustment point.Just be aware the vast majority never even think of doing this or if they are aware it can be done, don't do it, hoping for a solution which doesn't involve opening up the VCR. But there is no other solution. For best clarity on linear tracks, head azimuth must be aligned to the azimuth pattern on the tape being played. Especially LP VHS linear audio is liable to be audibly misalgned to some degree. But if you're not able to perform this properly and safely, best not to attempt it.