Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-20-2013, 08:48 AM
Free Member

the 10000 is still very much a 1980's generation over-engineered tank.
very complicated with tons and tons of failing caps
no TBC makes it no good for tape transfers.
like KP said it is just to old - the best decks where made late 90's early 2000's

BTW the SL-HF1000 is not the best Beta - it does not have S-Video.
the 1000 may be popular with collectors, but it aint the best for transfers
there are only 3 Beta models ever made with S-video outputs:
the SL-HF2100 and the 2 Beta-ED models
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-21-2013, 12:59 PM
Free Member

I have a 10000U and I love it. The transport mech is pretty reliable as its based off the HR S7000U/8000U. On a CRT set, this deck looks fantastic. I have another 10000U where it won't playback the hi-fi signal. I fear the heads could be worn on that unit, but also the S Video input plug won't allow me to plug in on the back. Editing with this machine is smooth, much smoother than JVC HR S6900U's R.A. edit feature.
11-22-2013, 11:29 AM
Free Member

While S-video is associated with SuperVHS, the competing format for Beta, it's Separated Video of course, to those of us in the know, however, with just composite, the Beta format strove to outperform VHS, my old projector has BNC the industrial connector that only converts to composite anyway. I know the SL-HF2100 15th Anniversary Betamax is the one with S-video, but it had it's share of gimmicks, and the remote is nearly dispised from what I heard in reviews! It is kinda neat regardless. I want one, but I can't afford the still $2000 or more price tag to get one! EDBeta doesn't sit well for home use, but if you want a rack mounted behemoth editing deck, then perhaps, yes. My GCS-50 has it's advantages because it's built for professional dubbing, but I had used tapes that were falling apart in it, so the tapes I was more concerned with because of their age!
11-22-2013, 11:51 AM
Free Member

S-video is best for converting even regular VHS and Betas
ive owned a 2100 and it is better than any composite only beta ive tried.
the remote is not a big deal - i never use remote for doing tape transfers anyway
the EDV-7500 is no bigger than normal betas - the 9500 is the big one.
11-22-2013, 12:36 PM
Free Member

To reply to comments on the first page, I appreciate a Webmaster response, I consider the HR-S10000 the most feature laden JVC in one deck, but it has faults like just about every product ever made, I'm never content with just one, as it stands! I like Mitsubishi VHS as well, I had a U80 for a short time.
I probably have a 7000 and 6900 model JVC SVHS as well, can't recall, but I know I bought 2 10000 models because they have editing features with 4 channel audio, dubbing is very important for me, since like a number of people, I use VHS to record long form FM radio and music content. I also shoot personal video for extended periods, when you add it up, video diary style, much of it like a YouTube video but never winds up online, I plan to possibly use my boxes of Betamax just to convert from the camcorders, though it's a lot of stored content anyway you slice it. I do use Jog Shuttle when available, but it's iffy at times, but never caused me more problems with a tape, only issue was distortion in freeze frame, decks with digital freeze can work even better for these tasks. As for tape being in vogue in 2014, well, no, not really, vinyl has more going for it, perhaps, but it is analog, and in reality analog IS better then digital, but digital has been improved a thousand times over since it came out in the late 1980s as those 8 bit digital field memory circuits (I forget the exact name, but I believe the same circuits were added to LaserDiscs for A-B side changes and some minor effects unavailable because of CLV speed (the EP of LD)
11-22-2013, 02:38 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Slam View Post
my old projector has BNC the industrial connector that only converts to composite anyway.
BNC can also exist as separate luma/chroma (essentially s-video) as well. Even component. Just keep that in mind. Though in your case, yes, it does sound like a composite connection.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
11-23-2013, 03:16 AM
Free Member

BNC could work in an RCA style one plug per signal carrier, for analog component, there is digital of course, used if HDMI hasn't overtaken it already. EDBeta wasn't ever really available for consumers or even pro-sumers in my market, Minnesota, that I'm aware of. The projector I have is a SharpVision from 1995, a top E850U from that year. I had a newer one but it wound up pawned for a cash loan! Such is often the case, I had an EV-S7000 Hi8 and may still have the remote for that bad boy, it will work with Beta, IIRC, Sony remotes have three toggle position for 8mm, Beta and VHS? Some anyway. I found a link for what I believe is a S-VHS head at nearly $300 for the S10000U ; http://www.ued.net/ued/viewItemActio...de=JVCPDV2197A
12-07-2013, 12:39 PM
Free Member

I'm checking my email says I got a reply to this thread. Well, I still have two of these machines, and to me, they are JVC at the pinnacle, but the wear and tear is still on the most delicate components, I would say if everything lasted in professional dubbing gear quality, for prosumers as well, We'd have hardware that could last better in captivity. Storage of both tapes and the VCRS is being put to the test as we speak!!