Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Free Member

another attempt, just let XP sp2 install the drivers on auto.. virtual dub works but video is no where close to quality compared to any capture method used until now (worst). so MS drivers are probably crap.. I am capturing PAL_B via Panasonic NV_HS1000 and it does a whole lot better with 600pci i used a few days ago..
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-09-2011, 01:38 AM
Free Member

driver issue solved. Finally the drivers from iso 180_V..... worked. what caused those to install? 1 of 2 probables.
installed 8.1 catalyst and wdm from amd.com or the more likely .net 2.0 install which is a prerequisite.

then i tried a test capture avi, huffyuv 2.11 using mmc 9.02 702x566, pal_b - horrible quality
huffyuv 2.11 using mmc 8.7 702x566, pal_b - average quality
captured using nv-hs1000 with TBC/AI on and Sharpen at mid level. svideo (monster ultra thx 1000).

lot of color bleed on both, lots of noise on 9.02, less noise but square's on 8.07. picture quality on both less than a straight capture from aiwa mx 100.

unless I am doing something wrong, quality is far worse than ati 600 pci which was worse than 650 usb combo. i got 650 to work 1 time and it crashes with virtualdub/vcr, so need to go back to drawing board with 650 usb and make it work.

kp/ls/admins, I know the above results are surprising, from what i have followed here on forum. With AIW 9600 pro I was expecting better results than 650 usb combo.

Any suggestions? TIA
09-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by interactive View Post
PC - Intel 478, 2.0 GHZ, 1 GB Ram, 40 GB HDD, AGP. (dell gx260 from my garage :-))
A lot of people would poo-poo such a hardware setup, but that's an excellent capture box. You could use more hard drive space, but everything else looks perfectly fine to me. I have a similar system, and it works perfectly as desired.

Quote:
Replaced original FX 5200 with ATi AIW 9600 Pro, plugged in cables and purple box. Downloaded drivers from here.
Noted.

Quote:
That iso CD which is recommended for 9600 cards may not be ideal for 9600 PRO or there is something in 32 bit XP SP2 which conflicts... or maybe the way I am setup (right now in textbook mode).
No, it should work for XP SP2 32-bit/x86 version.

Quote:
reload from image is a 5 minute task.
I'd like to hear more about this.

Quote:
another attempt, just let XP sp2 install the drivers on auto.. virtual dub works but video is no where close to quality compared to any capture method used until now (worst). so MS drivers are probably crap.. I am capturing PAL_B via Panasonic NV_HS1000 and it does a whole lot better with 600pci i used a few days ago..
That sounds like it's a setup issue with VirtualDub.
I'd like to get some more details on what exactly about the quality is less than desired.

Quote:
driver issue solved. Finally the drivers from iso 180_V..... worked. what caused those to install? 1 of 2 probables. installed 8.1 catalyst and wdm from amd.com or the more likely .net 2.0 install which is a prerequisite.
That .NET Framework is a nuisance for many, many programs. I have trouble with it b0rking my Internet Explorer setup, my screen grab program, a demux program, as well as several audio programs. The biggest nuisance is how the 3.5 Framework can break things that worked fine under 2.0. At the same time, some newer programs won't work with 2.0. So I find myself reinstalling frameworks from the distributable files every few months, as I go back and use programs that are infrequent tools. Annoying, to say the least. I've done my best to keep certain tools on certain computers, for that very reason.

Quote:
lot of color bleed on both, lots of noise on 9.02, less noise but square's on 8.07. picture quality on both less than a straight capture from aiwa mx 100.
Color bleed is often made worse by composite cables.

Quote:
unless I am doing something wrong, quality is far worse than ati 600 pci which was worse than 650 usb combo. i got 650 to work 1 time and it crashes with virtualdub/vcr, so need to go back to drawing board with 650 usb and make it work. kp/ls/admins, I know the above results are surprising, from what i have followed here on forum. With AIW 9600 pro I was expecting better results than 650 usb combo.
Yeah, none of that sounds right.

Quote:
Any suggestions? TIA
Based off the available information, I don't have any further specific suggestions. I'd almost have to take the system apart myself, and the test the hardware (swap it out) with known-good hardware, until the problem was isolated. Obviously, that's not an option. But it's almost what I'd have to do at this point. There's only so much that can be done, in terms of textual instructions.

There's always the chance your computer monitor is showing bad results. Maybe you should upload some of these bad captures, to get a second opinion on whether the quality is good or bad.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: interactive (09-22-2011)
09-22-2011, 01:21 AM
Free Member

ok, good to know that the computer "was" ok. :-) gone now. but a new one is ready, MSI PT880/3.2 GHZ Pentium 4 HT, 2 GB DDR400, same AIW 9600 Pro, WD 10k OS drive (160 gb). (Capture drive Samsung 2TB). Not leaving anything to chance here this time. Will take me a couple of days to get AIW going as I did'nt document all the steps from last time. Will post back results.

and LS since setting capturing effort invloves lots of trial and error, I simply create an image of my vanilla XP SP2 install on an external drive and then reimage the system as it gets dirty with tryouts. (drivers installs etc.) For this the easiest way I like is to use "Acronis Boot Cd". (mine came free with a Kingston SSD drive). Takes about 3 minutes to create XP image as a file. and restores that image (about 8gb) in under 5 minutes, so I can get to my fresh install by the time coffee is done or as many times in a day without a fresh XP install (about 40-60 minutes). Once I have a working install, I create an image of that too.
09-22-2011, 04:04 PM
Free Member

Do you have the Drivers for the ATI x800 series video card ? Also what MMC version is compatible ? Thanks ,
09-22-2011, 10:01 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by interactive View Post
didnt see a capture option anywhere. .
There's nothing labeled as "Capture" with ATI. The ATI card was largely marketed as a digital VCR replacement in the early days, and later was given the moniker of "computer PVR" (like a satellite or cable company DVR). As such, the capturing portion of ATI Multimedia Center is known simply as "TV". So look for the TV icon in the ATI programs under your Start menu, maybe as a desktop icon (with some versions of ATI MMC), or as the TV button inside the launchpad or system tray menu (when right-clicked).

So it may be there after all.

09-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Free Member

JLegnon

I am sure you will find someone saying yes to your question.. sounds funny but i resourced my video cards based on what drivers were available here on site.
09-24-2011, 09:10 PM
Free Member

Hi,

I have this ATI RADEON 9600 128MB AIW PAL AGP on an XP machine and I want to capture video from VCR tapes. However, Windows Media Encoder does not find the capture driver to allow for video capturing, it only finds the audio.

The only drivers I can find are from the AMD site : AMD Catalyst™ Display Driver

I have tried installing both Catalyst Software Suite and WDM Integrated Driver but Windows Media Encoder still doesn't detect the capture driver to enable encoding. I have tried the card before and it worked fine, I had the original installation CD which is now lost.

Thank you for your time,
10-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Site Staff | Video

These are the files/drivers needed for the PCI-e card lines -- x1800 and x1900, for example (also confirmed to work on x800 card)
Will post back with more details soon.

Will answer some recent unanswered posts as well.

Attached Files
File Type: rar 10-2_legacy_xp32-64_dd_ccc.part1.rar (32.00 MB, 509 downloads)
File Type: rar 10-2_legacy_xp32-64_dd_ccc.part2.rar (32.00 MB, 448 downloads)
File Type: rar 10-2_legacy_xp32-64_dd_ccc.part3.rar (11.81 MB, 350 downloads)
File Type: rar 10-2_legacy_xp32-64_wdm.rar (21.32 MB, 389 downloads)
File Type: rar 9-14_mmc_enu.rar (27.25 MB, 387 downloads)
File Type: rar 9-14_mmc_uci.part1.rar (32.00 MB, 407 downloads)
File Type: rar 9-14_mmc_uci.part2.rar (9.04 MB, 368 downloads)
File Type: rar 9-16_mmc_enu.rar (26.74 MB, 383 downloads)
File Type: rar 6-6_encoder_33678.rar (1.77 MB, 351 downloads)
File Type: rar 6-12_xcode_38463.rar (11.43 MB, 364 downloads)

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: AwesomeMarioFan (04-26-2018), Haga (04-27-2023), lerpierre (08-01-2015), Nickatron (04-14-2022), Steve (02-18-2012), TheBigNostalgic (11-01-2017)
11-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrl View Post
I have this ATI RADEON 9600 128MB AIW PAL AGP
One of the CD images on this thread should be exactly what you need. There's also several collections of files from the old now-gone ATI.com site, which would accomplish the same feat. So give some of these a try, and then post back if you're still having problems.

02-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Free Member

hi

i have a dell dimension 8300 XP MCE and was wonder if anyone has the installation cd for the ATI All In Wonder 9000 Low Profile card. I have managed to get everything working except the tv tuner. i keep getting "files needed to display video not instaled.
i have been using Media Center Diagnostic Tool to make sure i have all the decorders and such.
one i can not get to pass is Meets D3D9 Caps requirements. i keeps coming up false.
the other content protection comes up not supported.
i would appreciate it if there was someone out there that could help me.
i recieved the computer for free and wiped it before i captured all the info on the ATI software(stupid me)
thanks
02-13-2012, 06:11 AM
Site Staff | Video

Hi atticus78, welcome to the site.

Have you already tried the various discs and setup files attached to posts on this thread? There are files split across a number of posts -- the files are not only in the first post on page 1.

I'm also not entirely sure if XP MCE (Media Center Edition) is fully supported by ATI All In Wonder cards. That version of Windows XP varied in several ways, and support for the ATI AIW cards was officially for Home/Pro non-SP, SP1 and SP2. Even SP3 isn't covered for some of those older cards, and is hit or miss (mostly miss, based on what I've seen).

It could also be an issue related to the specific version of DirectX's Direct3D (D3D9) installed on the computer. Not all versions were supported.

The TV tuner also uses WDM drivers -- completely separate from the graphics/display drivers. So be aware of that. A lot of people successfully install the graphics drivers, or Windows XP installs those drivers automatically, and people are confused when the TV capturing does not work. It's because the AIW card is honestly two separate cards on a single board -- a Theatre 100/200 video capture card (which never existed outside of the AIW setup), and a Radeon graphics card (the non-AIW cards). Both "cards" need the drivers to be installed to function.

The Media Center Diagnostic Tool is going to be mostly worthless.

02-13-2012, 11:03 AM
Free Member

i cant seem to get anything to work. all i want to do is to be able to watch tv with media center, and play movies and music. i have no interest in trying to record any tv. i have tried all the software you have posted on this thread, and nothing seems to work. the tv is the only thing that wont work.
i have tried the downloads from the ati website and i get "error please change to standard vga"
thats a whole other set of problems trying to vgasave off and standard on.
anyway, here's the specs of the vid card and my operating system
ATI N1708 All-in-Wonder 9000Pro Graphics Card
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 SP3
i also have the ehome remote and reciever package, and the ati recording cables
there has to be some way to get it to work, because it worked before.
the other idea i had was to find the dell dimension OEM windows xp MCE instalation cd or a restore cd of some kind.
i have tried driver update software and it tells me the card it ati mobility 9000. that is clearly wrong.
thanks for your help anyway.
if you have any other ideas on how to get it to work that would be great.
i wonder if i have to reinstall windows xp MCE zero with no updates or sp, maybe that would work.
thanks again.
02-16-2012, 06:47 AM
Free Member

i just recently discover that ati all in wonder 9000 64mb low profile was actually a vid card that was created strickly for the dell series, so there is no instalation cd for it.
still have trouble trying to get the tv tuner to work.
02-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

This is one of those scenarios where you'll have to try undocumented and possibly unorthodox approaches to getting it to be recognized by the computer. You'll just need to try various ATI AIW drivers/installers, and see what happens. The other alternative is to give up, and opt for another video card.

I'd also mention that the tuner on an ATI All In Wonder card is analog. So unless you have analog cable (which is fading away more and more), or in the middle of a city that still has some low-power analog transmissions, the TV tuner won't do you much good. Everything is digital now -- all DTV (and HDTV) on the ATSC transmission standard. Most video capture cards that have tuners are now useless in terms of the TV tuner. The cards are popular and well-liked for their ability to capture videotapes in high quality.

So this entire endeavor of yours may be in vain.

Look at using a Hauppauge ATSC USB TV tuner instead, for about $50-75.
Those are available on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/mn/search/?_en...ps,k:hauppauge atsc tuner

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
02-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Free Member

Hello guys,
I read carefully all the messages because I remember that we can have problem depending of order of installation of programs.

I finallly succed to install windows XP pro SP2.
I got the Radeon X800XT AGP with all originasl installations CD.
Can I use them for the capturing task without problem!
I read that Catalyst is the result of merging 3 softwares.

Can you just give me a sequence of what I need to do first to the end...so I don't screw the final installation process.
Right now I have
  • catalyst 180-V01095-100
  • Mediator 7
  • Pinnacle V 9
  • visual communicator web
I think I just need Catalyst?
Then HuffYUV lossless AVI codec?

Thanks in advance
__

Should I start a new thread? Sometime I got confuse when to do it or not! Thanks
02-20-2012, 08:51 PM
Site Staff | Video

This is all junk: Mediator 7, Pinnacle v9, etc. Don't install it.

You only need
(1) the ATI software -- Catalyst drivers + ATI MMC for capturing MPEG
(2) the Huffyuv codec, and
(3) VirtualDub for capturing AVI
__

There's no need to start a new thread on "evergreen topics" like this one (forum stickies).
It's non-sticky/non-evergreen normal posts that should only be bumped by the original contributors. Make new posts in those situations.
I realize this can be confusing, so Site Staff will move/split posts or threads as needed.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Mejnour (02-20-2012)
02-20-2012, 09:43 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
(1) the ATI software -- Catalyst drivers + ATI MMC for capturing MPEG
Sorry my ignorance but ATI software!? I suppose to have it in my CD or you are talking about the zillions rar files at the beginning of the thread?
02-20-2012, 09:45 PM
Site Staff | Video

Either way --
(A) the disc you have, if it's on there, or
(B) the files from this thread -- though NOT necessarily the ones in the first post, as files are attached on all 3 pages so far.

02-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Either way --
(A) the disc you have, if it's on there, or
(B) the files from this thread -- though NOT necessarily the ones in the first post, as files are attached on all 3 pages so far.
Okay I got confused because my disk label 180-V01095-100 is written on it ATI CATALYST.

Installation manual says that during installation HYDRAVISION will install automatically unlesss I do a custom installation. I guess we don't want this...