Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-22-2014, 07:03 AM
Free Member

I am trying to capture old videos in real time using a CANOPUS AVDC-100 video converter which takes the analog to digital, into a Firewire cable and then my MacPro. The late 2008 tower is all souped up with new SD Drives, lots of additional disks dedicated to video files. I have tried adobe Premier Elements, Premier Pro, iMovie and Blackmagic Intensity Pro. The Intenity Pro card is installed correctly.

If I watch the video on the capture screen and am not importing anything, the video keeps playing despite any glitches or scene changes, If I set CAPTURE to "record" then any slight problem in the tape or even most scene changes switch the capture to "pause" and I then have tp save that clip before continuing. I cannot sit in front of the computer for the 100's of tapes I need to transfer. I have the preference settings under "capture" with all four boxes UNCHECKED, including the one that states " abort capture on dropped frames" which again, is NOT checked. Can anyone suggest another setting that would KEEP CAPTURE ON, no matter what the tape is doing?

Do I need to buy something like an AVT-8710 Time Base Corrector to fix this issue with older tapes?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-22-2014, 09:35 AM
Free Member

1st off get rid of the canopus device - it is DV only and DV inst good for VHS captures
capture is best done on Windows with an ATI capture card (macs are not good for capture)
and yes you definitely need a TBC either the AVT-8710 or a Datavideo TBC-1000

see this thread about DV (which is what canopus devices use):
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-lossless.html
The following users thank volksjager for this useful post: lordsmurf (02-25-2014)
02-23-2014, 09:47 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksjager View Post
1st off get rid of the canopus device - it is DV only and DV inst good for VHS captures
capture is best done on Windows with an ATI capture card (macs are not good for capture)
and yes you definitely need a TBC either the AVT-8710 or a Datavideo TBC-1000

see this thread about DV (which is what canopus devices use):
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-lossless.html
I started that

I took a lossless sample and converted to DV. You would be shocked how much is lost. Consider that VHS quality compared to todays standards is pretty crappy. Then reduce the color sampling to a quarter quality.

I have an Intensity Pro Shuttle, which is pretty much the same hardware. Use that on 8-bit .avi at minimum with either the Blackmagic software or one of the supported programs. I recommend Blackmagic's software because it is very simple. You click capture and it does its job. File sizes will be much larger than DV, but even if you convert to x264 or Mpeg2 later, you will still have a much better video than DV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVNorm View Post
If I watch the video on the capture screen and am not importing anything, the video keeps playing despite any glitches or scene changes, If I set CAPTURE to "record" then any slight problem in the tape or even most scene changes switch the capture to "pause" and I then have tp save that clip before continuing. I cannot sit in front of the computer for the 100's of tapes I need to transfer. I have the preference settings under "capture" with all four boxes UNCHECKED, including the one that states " abort capture on dropped frames" which again, is NOT checked. Can anyone suggest another setting that would KEEP CAPTURE ON, no matter what the tape is doing?
Not sure which program you are using, but if you are using the Blackmagic software, you can uncheck in preferences not to stop on dropped frames, but, if you are getting dropped frames, get a TBC and a better VCR.
The following users thank premiumcapture for this useful post: lordsmurf (02-25-2014)
02-25-2014, 03:17 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
The secret formula for quality capturing is:

An ideal capture setup is:
- good S-VHS VCR from JVC or Panasonic, see http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ing-guide.html
- good TBC, see http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...time-base.html
- good capture card, preferable ATI AIW, see also http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ti-wonder.html
- or good LSI Logic chipset DVD recorder, the JVC especially, see also http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ipset-dvd.html
- s-video connections for everything

The Canopus ADVC is not a quality card for NTSC -- PAL only. (I always cheat and look at forum member IPs. You're in the USA, so you're NTSC.)

This is what I wrote on that other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
NTSC is 4:1:1, and not good.
PAL is 4:2:0, like DVD, and looks fine.

The 4:1:1 quality loss is noticeable, especially on modern large HDTVs. Understand that DV was invented during the Pentium III era (almost 20 years ago!), and was compressed so much because the signal couldn't keep up with hardware of the era. It's not that much better than analog formats of the time. It's just that analog and digital have different flaws. The color of S-VHS and Betacam was much better, but DV had better clarity. DV was never intended for video conversion -- only shooting. An already-lossy VHS tape had lossyness compounded by DV.

4:1:1 should have never been used, as it quarters color quality. 4:2:2 and 4:2:0 half it. (Instead of quartering color, 4:2:0 halves the half in an interval. Neither is ideal, but this method is better.)

So it all depends on where you are!

USA DV = poo
Europe DV = alright

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Tags
importing analog, video capture