07-21-2017, 05:41 AM
Free Member

Hello,

I have followed the instructions on this website on how to use Virtualdub in XP. I have a Sound Blaster Sound Card.

I have an All In Wonder 9200 and a recommended Panasonic VCR attached to it via SVideo and Audio. I installed the drivers according to the instructions on here.

The VCR is connected to the purple ATI connector which is plugged into the All in Wonder Video Input socket.

When I 'installed' and started Virtualdub it said a filter failed to load ( FFVDub.VDF ) so I removed that from the filters section and instead installed the last XVid Video Codec that works with XP SP2 so I could open an AVI file. Perhaps that was my mistake? PS every computer I have tried the Lord Smurf Virtualdub in fails to load that VDF. XP, Vista and Windows 7.

Before I go into Virtualdub I also tried using the MMC software and started configuring the 'TV Player' I think that is the right thing to do but it is confusing. It would be easier if there was a VHS to Digital option. However that resulted in an error message that "The TV Player failed to initialise the Disk" Could be because I am in a Pal region? It then asked me to do a test using the PC Check utility which I did and it said my sound card failed because it has an auto clock innacuracy of + or - 0.2? Should I accept this and buy another card?

I do the following:
File ---> Capture AVI
File ---> Set Capture File to choose a second hard drive for the capture.

At this point no information appears on the right hand side. Well the headings such as CPU usage do but no values appear.

Should I at this point go to Choose Device ---> ATI Rage Theatre Video? I've tried with and without doing this without any success.

Capture ---> Settings and change 29.970 to 25.000 as I am in a Pal region (Here it is weird. In the instructions I should see something called stream format with Video Standard, Color Space, Output Size etc but all I see is the frame rate).

Now in the audio menu I go Audio ---> Compression and try to change audio settings to uncompressed PCM format etc but no such option exists. There is a no compression pcm option but no option to change the kHZ or bits to 16 etc.

I go to Video ---> Overlay Mode but 'overlay' is greyed out.

I try to go to Video ---> Format but 'Format' is greyed out.

I can choose HuffYUV V2011-CCESP Patch Vo.2.2 no problem.

I click on Video and search for Compression Compatibility but cannot find it.

I go to Capture / Video Capture but it says 'unable to start video capture'

I am happy to go back to an image I took of the computer prior to doing any of the above (with just XP and drivers installed) if that is necessary.

Regards,

Paul
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-21-2017, 11:44 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
If you want a version of Avisyth 1.9.1.1 build 32842 that doesn't try to autoload anything, you can remove (actually, replace) the version you have with the universal executable. I used lordsmurf's years ago but never had any problem with it myself. This is done without removing any VirtualDub files or plugins. You probably noticed that VirtualDub doesn't have an installer. It "installs" a few registry entries the very fist time you run it, but it doesn't install anything else. You can remove those registry entries by running the VDub uninstaller. The uninstaller is located in the VirtualDub program folder as "auxsetup.exe". Double-click that file and select "Remove". This removes registry entries only, it does not remove anything else.

Get the original version 1.9.1.1 here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/vir...1.zip/download. Download that file into your current Virtualdub folder and unzip it. When the unzip asks if you want to overwrite existing files in that folder, say OK. The old .exe will be overwritten but all the other files and plugins will remain as they are because the "new" ones are identical and existing plugins will remain as-is. Then click on VirtuaDub.exe and the program will run as it did the fist time and create new registry entries. Note that this re-install shouldn't really be necessary, but it will clean out any VDub registry errors and make new ones.

With ATI drivers, it sounds as if you either used a non-recommended install procedure, or you allowed Windows to install its own drivers for the ATI card. What you should do is uninstall all of ATI's drivers and other software including MMC. There should not be any other graphics cards installed. The uninstaller will tell you to restart Windows. Let Windows reboot, but when your desktop appears do not let Windows run the hardware wizard when it detects the ATI card. Cancel the wizard. You will be using the default Windows VGA graphics driver, so your desktop will look rather strange. Proceed with running the ATI installer until completion, then restart your PC. Do not allow any Windows hardware Wizard to run anything else. Your desktop will appear normal.

Frankly I haven't installed MMC or the ATI player since 2002. I use ATI for lossless capture and have never needed MMC, but you can install it if you want. That ATI checkup is a bit obsolete, and i never trusted it because it can detect if capture divers are installed but it doesn't detect registry errors concerning them. My sound card is an old Audigy 2005, while in another PC I have an ancient Sound Blaster from 2001 for Windows 2000/XP. Both cards have operated flawlessly for several years.

If you still have problems with the capture setup, let us know. There is an updated VDub setup guide here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-settings.html.
07-21-2017, 04:30 PM
Free Member

Hi Sanlyn,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
If you want a version of Avisyth 1.9.1.1 build 32842 that doesn't try to autoload anything, you can remove (actually, replace) the version you have with the universal executable. I used lordsmurf's years ago but never had any problem with it myself. This is done without removing any VirtualDub files or plugins. You probably noticed that VirtualDub doesn't have an installer. It "installs" a few registry entries the very fist time you run it, but it doesn't install anything else. You can remove those registry entries by running the VDub uninstaller. The uninstaller is located in the VirtualDub program folder as "auxsetup.exe". Double-click that file and select "Remove". This removes registry entries only, it does not remove anything else.
Did you mean VirtualDub or Avisyth here? Or is Avisysth a part of Virtualdub?

With ATI drivers, it sounds as if you either used a non-recommended install procedure, or you allowed Windows to install its own drivers for the ATI card. What you should do is uninstall all of ATI's drivers and other software including MMC. There should not be any other graphics cards installed. The uninstaller will tell you to restart Windows. Let Windows reboot, but when your desktop appears do not let Windows run the hardware wizard when it detects the ATI card. Cancel the wizard. You will be using the default Windows VGA graphics driver, so your desktop will look rather strange. Proceed with running the ATI installer until completion, then restart your PC. Do not allow any Windows hardware Wizard to run anything else. Your desktop will appear normal.

When I installed the 9200 card and started XP Windows did initially install drivers for it. However there was no way to cancel. Unless you mean to click on the cross (X) for each part it says it is installing? I thought I had done that but might have missed one as there was 6 or 7 in quick succession trying to install.

For installing the ATI drivers I used the CD that came with card. It comes with 'Catalyst' which installs in the right order right? I couldn't see an option to manually go in and install them in any particular order.

Frankly I haven't installed MMC or the ATI player since 2002. I use ATI for lossless capture and have never needed MMC, but you can install it if you want. That ATI checkup is a bit obsolete, and i never trusted it because it can detect if capture divers are installed but it doesn't detect registry errors concerning them. My sound card is an old Audigy 2005, while in another PC I have an ancient Sound Blaster from 2001 for Windows 2000/XP. Both cards have operated flawlessly for several years.

Prior to your email I restored my image of XP and then installed the ATI drivers using the Catalyst again. This time I did a custom install and chose just the ATI Display Driver, ATI Control Panel, Multimedia Drivers and DVD Decoder. I did not install Hydravision, Direct X (as I have 9c already installed), Unified Components install, MMC, Author Script, ATI Remote Wonder or Guide Plus. Is that what you mean?

If you still have problems with the capture setup, let us know. There is an updated VDub setup guide here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-settings.html.

Ah ok I used a different guide. One that is in your Digital Video Guides section http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/vid...virtualdub.htm

I notice in the one you wrote that I should plug the large bit of the cable that looks like an sVideo but isn't (see attached photo) into the 9200 card and then plug the other end which looks like a normal 3.5mm plug into the Sound Blaster blue input is that right?

Regards,
Paul

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10pinradeonavincable.jpg (29.0 KB, 2 downloads)
07-21-2017, 06:49 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan View Post
Quote:
lDid you mean VirtualDub or Avisyth here?
I meant VirtualDub. "Avisynth" in the above quote is a typo.

ATI's drivers and capture software cannot be installed over any Windows versions of those drivers, and can't be installed properly over any other graphics card that might be installed. If your motherboard has a default onboard grahics card with drivers installed, those also have to be removed. The only graphics software that should be running before ATI is installed is the default OEM VGA driver, which will make your desktop look like an old CRT screen when it starts and which loads automatically if no graphic card software is installed. If the hardware wizard runs, it should be cancelled as soon as it appears without responding to any of its questions. I believe it does have a "Cancel" icon when it first appears.

You are correct in that MMC, the remote, the video player and Hydravision don't have to be installed for Virtualdub capture, and if you have a new XP SP2 install then the DirectShow runtime is likely newer than the one that comes with ATi.

Connect the black audio loop into your sound card's "Line In" input, using the thin 1/8" stereo SONY plug shown in the image. None of the other cables will be able to fit in your sound card.
07-21-2017, 07:16 PM
Free Member

Quote:
I meant VirtualDub. "Avisynth" in the above quote is a typo.

ATI's drivers and capture software cannot be installed over any Windows versions of those drivers, and can't be installed properly over any other graphics card that might be installed. If your motherboard has a default onboard grahics card with drivers installed, those also have to be removed. The only graphics software that should be running before ATI is installed is the default OEM VGA driver, which will make your desktop look like an old CRT screen when it starts and which loads automatically if no graphic card software is installed. If the hardware wizard runs, it should be cancelled as soon as it appears without responding to any of its questions. I believe it does have a "Cancel" icon when it first appears.

You are correct in that MMC, the remote, the video player and Hydravision don't have to be installed for Virtualdub capture, and if you have a new XP SP2 install then the DirectShow runtime is likely newer than the one that comes with ATi.

Connect the black audio loop into your sound card's "Line In" input, using the thin 1/8" stereo SONY plug shown in the image. None of the other cables will be able to fit in your sound card.
Hi Sanylyn,

Thanks again.

I have tried that but when Windows starts (and this is for the sound card as well as the graphics card) there is no hardware wizard popping up with an option to cancel.

What happens is that Windows XP starts to automatically install its own drivers. It does show which drivers it is installing and there is a cross on the right top of each notification which I can click and close but I don't think that is actually cancelling the installation?

There is no option to stop it. I did try and install the SoundBlaster drivers in safe mode but that didn't work. No card detected. I can install the drivers for it on top of the Windows drivers but that is probably not a good option either right?

I am in the process of doing another clean install of XP (it is the genuine disk and in good condition).

I could try and install the ATI drivers in safe mode?

Or somehow force XP not to install the drivers itself.

Regards,

Paul
07-21-2017, 09:21 PM
Premium Member

ATI will not install in Safe mode. Neither will most other graphics cards.

If you're installing Windows from scratch with a full load of all that hardware at one time, don't expect much cooperation from Microsoft. Are you saying that you have a motherboard that has no builtin sound card and no onboard graphics card? A Windows install CD comes with drivers for a great many device such as Sound Blaster cards and various graphics cards. However, it does not install those drivers during a normal install -- rather, those drivers aren't installed until Windows is able to display the desktop for the first time, and if there are no graphics drivers installed then the default VGA diver will be used because Windows will have no other means of displaying the desktop. At that point you should see a hardware that can be cancelled. But once you let that new hardware wizard run and Windows installs its default ATI 9200 drivers (they are actually the same builtin drivers for the 9000, 9200., and 9600 default cards), Windows will always associate those registry entries with its own drivers automatically.

Be mindful that if you also mount your sound card at the same time, Windows will do the same thing with your Sound Blaster as it does with your 9200, and at the same time. By mounting all your hardware at once you're letting yourself in for a startup landslide of Windows built-in install apps.

Are you saying, then, that when you first run a brand new Windows install, it installs its own 9200 drivers without running the "New Hardware Found" wizard and without asking if you want those drivers installed?
07-21-2017, 09:30 PM
Free Member

Quote:
ATI will not install in Safe mode. Neither will most other graphics cards.

If you're installing Windows from scratch with a full load of all that hardware at one time, don't expect much cooperation from Microsoft. Are you saying that you have a motherboard that has no builtin sound card and no onboard graphics card? A Windows install CD comes with drivers for a great many device such as Sound Blaster cards and various graphics cards. However, it does not install those drivers during a normal install -- rather, those drivers aren't installed until Windows is able to display the desktop for the first time, and if there are no graphics drivers installed then the default VGA diver will be used because Windows will have no other means of displaying the desktop. At that point you should see a hardware that can be cancelled. But once you let that new hardware wizard run and Windows installs its default ATI 9200 drivers (they are actually the same builtin drivers for the 9000, 9200., and 9600 default cards), Windows will always associate those registry entries with its own drivers automatically.

Are you saying, then, that when you first run a brand new Windows install, it installs its own 9200 drivers without running the "New Hardware Found" wizard and without asking if you want those drivers installed?

Be mindful that if you also mount your sound card at the same time, Windows will do the same thing with your Sound Blaster as it does with your 9200, and at the same time. By mounting all your hardware at once you're letting yourself in for a startup landslide of Windows built-in install apps.
Hi Sanlyn,

No what I did was:

Remove the ATI graphics card and Sound Blaster Card.
Reinstall XP (having first disabled onboard sound in the bios)
Uninstal the built in graphics drivers in Device Manager.
Instal the graphics card and restarted the computer.
Cancel what I could (again there was no option to cancel completely)
Uninstall anything ATI in Device Manager
Install the ATI Software
Restart the Computer and then shut it down again
Install the sound card
Restart and cancel what I could
Uninstall sound drivers in Device Manager
Install the official SoundBlaster drivers
Restart the computer

Now I am in the process of capturing a VHS using your guide rather than the other one.

So far so good. Will send a short copy of what I was able to do later today.

Thanks again

Paul
07-22-2017, 05:00 AM
Premium Member

Good wok.

Actually a great many legacy NVidia cards had the same install issues, not just ATI. Remember that PC operating systems weren't specifically designed for just any and every piece of hardware available, so that's why you have some sticky install issues with many multi-version products like graphics cards and printers, etc.
07-22-2017, 05:45 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Good wok.

Actually a great many legacy NVidia cards had the same install issues, not just ATI. Remember that PC operating systems weren't specifically designed for just any and every piece of hardware available, so that's why you have some sticky install issues with many multi-version products like graphics cards and printers, etc.
Yeah it was quite a challenge and I appreciate your help