02-09-2005, 03:50 PM
Premium Member

I currently use Vegas 4 to edit my video. I was wondering - is it possible to edit an mpeg-2 without re-rendering it? All I'm looking to do is get rid of an extra few frames at the end of one clip, but I don't want to have to re-render it and lose some quality.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-11-2005, 12:12 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Vegas is an NLE (non linear editor). While technically any computer editor is an "NLE", few get the outright label. Most are just called "editors".

All NLE's can only input and re-encode output.

What you want is a simple MPEG EDITOR.

And to expand on that, what you want to do it mere splicing (think digital scissors/tape). Not really "editing" by normal usage either.

MPEG editors can splice WITHOUT any re-encoding required. It re-encodes the GOP where the cut is located (about 15 frames) and that's it. The rest of the file is untouched. Some can even add simple fades/transitions at the cut (that few seconds is also re-encoded as needed).

No MPEG editor is perfect. Keep this in mind. Certain MPEG files will lose audio sync on certain editors.

I use Womble MPEG-VCR a lot. I use my JVC DVD recorder as an MPEG capture device, than use the Womble tool to cut out unneeded stuff at the beginning, end, etc.

http://www.womble.com/download.htm

Don't let the weenie website design fool you. This is a powerful tool, and very popular. It has a 30-day trial, and is very well priced.

And then follow this guide:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/edit/mpeg2vcr/mpeg2vcr.htm
... and even though it says "removing commercials" it's really just a quick guide on how to remove unwanted footage from an MPEG file.

Another new option is VideoRedo.
This is suggested for Hauppauge capture card users.
Hauppauge files tend to lose sync easily.
That one can be found at www.videoredo.com

Womble also makes MPEG Video Wizard.
Just be aware tha MVW will convert audio to MP2 by default.
It does not cut AC3 (at least not in the version I have).
Also available at www.womble.com

All of these have trials too. Some are 15 day, some 30 day.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
02-11-2005, 02:29 AM
Premium Member

Womble looks perfect for what I want to do (which is just splicing, not even any other basic editing really).

Thanks!
03-13-2005, 02:48 PM
Premium Member

With my version of Womble, I have to change the sound option when saving my mpg, otherwise I get no sound (it defaults to AC3, but I get nothing, so I change it to mpg). It doesn't seem to be much of an issue, it's still saving fast, but I'm wondering if you've ever run into this before and if you think it will have any effect on anything (as long as sound is there, it's not too big a concern for me).
03-16-2005, 12:10 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

If your original file is correct, this can happen. Panasonic DVD recorders, for example, create corrupt (or "imperfect") AC3 audio files. I have seen this before, and that is the reason.

Your MP2 may not be a "clean" file. That's all I can think of.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!