Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Edit Video, Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-17-2022, 03:53 PM
Premium Member

Is Avidemux an acceptable solution from trimming raw captured video that recorded for too long during capture?

I put a 71.9GB file into Avidemux and chose these settings:
  • Lavcodec: DXVA2 (actually, I couldn't change this, I hope it is okay)
  • Video output: Copy
  • Audio output: Copy
  • Output format: AVI muxer
  • Muxing format: AUTO
When comparing the two original and trimmed files in the MediaInfo app (see attached), it all looks identical, except for the file size.

1. If new trimmed video plays well and opens in all the other apps (Hybrid, VirtualDub, etc.) do you think it is safe to delete the original (longer file with the extra blank video at the end)?

2. What app do you use to trim without re-encoding? Is VirtualDub1911 a better choice for for this function?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trimmed v original avi file.jpg (64.1 KB, 5 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-18-2022, 05:16 AM
Free Member

Quote:
2. What app do you use to trim without re-encoding?
VirtualDub 1.10.4 with its internal trimming capabilities, or an AviSynth script with Trim() command loaded in VirtualDub 1.10.4

Quote:
Is VirtualDub1911 a better choice for for this function?
I never used Avidemux for trimming, so I cannot answer. VirtualDub is very "simple" and has no hidden features, unknown procedures, internal codec, audio/video custom muxing parameters, etc. That's why I use it.

A channel on S-VHS / VHS capture and AviSynth restoration https://bit.ly/3mHWbkN
02-18-2022, 08:06 PM
Free Member

I like Avidemux because is is all there on the home page. You can't mess it up.

With Virtual Dub, you have to check the video menu for Direct Stream Copy and the Audio menu as well, just to make sure you haven't got an unwanted setting that is a hangover from the last time you used it.

Interestingly, Avidemux took 10 minutes to "copy" a 10gb AVI, whereas VDub took 3 minutes using "Direct Stream Copy". I'm not sure what to make of that. The bitrates and file sizes were almost identical for the Avidemux file and the original.

For the VDub copy, the files were identical sizes, to the bit. I therefore surmise that Vdub is doing a truer copy.

So to answer your question, Yes, check the edited bit then delete the original. And use VDub in Direct Stream Copy mode until somebody can explain the Avidemux issues.

BTW, your two videos are different lengths; that's why the file sizes are the different. Also, the bitrates are different.

Re Mediainfo, you can use the "Text" view to copy and paste the file info.
The following users thank Hushpower for this useful post: ThumperStrauss (02-19-2022)