Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Edit Video, Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-18-2012, 12:37 AM
Premium Member

I went thru the same problem last year with MPEG-VCR, before a fresh re-install of Win 7 on same computer,so I thought I'd try it again,and still no good!!,So I e-mailed tech support about the problem,and whaddya know?? they have gotten "several" other complaints about the same thing! so they suggested a link to an older version,and "specifically" v3.14.7.2 . My first worry is clicking a link in an e-mail for a program!!,but I couldn't find any older versions on Womble's Site. So should I just install the latest version on my XP "Capture" computer for raw editing before exporting??? (I keep the XP Unit off-line and as Program-free as possible) BTW I had a hard time finding any mention of this problem anywhere! Thank You
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-19-2012, 01:09 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Works for me just fine in Windows 7 Home Premium.

I've been milking the same version of MPEG-VCR since 2004, almost exactly 8 years ago. Ain't broke, not fixing it.
I've attached my copy. (Note that you still need your own serial.)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg womble-win7-edits-screenshot.jpg (65.0 KB, 31 downloads)
File Type: jpg womble-win7-screenshot.jpg (64.3 KB, 28 downloads)
Attached Files
File Type: rar Womble Mpeg2vcr 3.14 6-25-04.rar (1.23 MB, 196 downloads)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: gaborHU (03-05-2020), rocko (07-21-2012)
07-21-2012, 01:42 AM
Premium Member

Ahh! so da Latest Ain't so Greatest!!!Seeee!!...I respect your advice Lordsmurf, and I always thought that an older version of a program might have problems running in a "modern" O.S.,... But as the old Sensai told Kung Fu..."There are many stones to slip on before you can successfully cross the river" (or something like that)....Anyway one more question..Do you run this version of MPEG VCR in XP mode on Win 7, or as-is??? Thanks
07-22-2012, 02:52 AM
Site Staff | Video

In my case, it wasn't even intentional. I'm simply using an old version.

The same version I've used since 2004 still works. It wasn't broken, so I was never tempted to "fix" it.

Well... almost....

MPEG-VCR is not very good on MPEG files longer than 2 hours. There are sometimes noticeable issues with audio sync, and I don't feel like testing each time I run a long file. It was detected well into 2005 and early 2006. By late 2006, I had switched to Womble MPEG Video Wizard, and later updated to the Womble MPEG Video Wizard DVD 4 which added some basic authoring abilities. It works well for menu-less discs; I'm not too keen on the menu quality. I can edit a 6-8 hour MPEG in MVW, and have no issues whatsoever. The current version is 5, but I don't have it. Again, v4 ain't broke, not fixing it.

MVW is also good for fixing the broken MP2 streams created by Panasonic E-generation recorders (pre-2006). Just save as AC3, and it re-encodes perfectly, fixing the broken stream in the process.

I only use MPEG-VCR on DVD recorder recordings that are less than 2 hours. I did tons of 30-minute and one-hour TV show recordings from about 2002 to 2008.

I just run it as-is in Windows 7. Both of them. No special run-as mode is required.

07-24-2012, 02:07 AM
Premium Member

Thanks Lordsmurf,I downloaded the Womble version, available in Premium Member's section,But can' I just use Virtual dub for most basic editing,ect..(While I'm Learning) and just forget abuot using Womble??..Just starting out,I get confused and frustrated with which software works best for Editing,Improving,Authoring and Burning,But Iv'e Learned from this site that ther is no EASY ALL IN ONE Program that's worth a Damn!!!
08-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Site Staff | Video

There's no easy all-in-one software because it's hard to merge so many divergent tasks and do it with any degree of quality. It's not much different from trying to build a vacuum cleaner oven blender. That's three tasks better performed by three separate devices.

Womble software is for editing MPEG files. That's it.
The "DVD" version of Womble MVW can also author. The template menus are crappy, so only use it for menu-less authoring.

VirtualDub is for restoring video and capturing AVI. It can also be used for very basic (cuts only) to uncompressed/lossless AVI files.

I see your request to make a better intro how-to guide, and that's on the fall agenda.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: rocko (08-20-2012)
08-21-2012, 12:15 AM
Premium Member

Thanks Lordsmurf, I Just stumbled onto this reply to my post! So I,m capturing 2 to 3 hour tapes,making 2.8 or more Gig MPEG Files,(Just let them run to end) Then I want to cut out unwanted footage with Womble MVW, Then Filter Shortened MPEG file with VirtualDub ?
09-14-2012, 11:11 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockovids View Post
So I,m capturing 2 to 3 hour tapes,making 2.8 or more Gig MPEG Files,(Just let them run to end) Then I want to cut out unwanted footage with Womble MVW,
Yes to this part (above).

Quote:
Then Filter Shortened MPEG file with VirtualDub ?
If you need to. Generally speaking, you want to capture to lossless AVI, and avoid lossy MPEG decoding, if you intention all along is to clean up quality in VirtualDub. The MPEG capturing methods are best left for video that looks clean enough to archive as-is, or store directly to Blu-ray or DVD without further work (aside from editing with digital scissors and tape).

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)

01-09-2020, 11:03 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Works for me just fine in Windows 7 Home Premium.

I've been milking the same version of MPEG-VCR since 2004, almost exactly 8 years ago. Ain't broke, not fixing it.
I've attached my copy. (Note that you still need your own serial.)
Posting this about 8 years since the last post.

I had problems with installing MPEG-VCR on Windows 10, it just kept freezing, but your version fixed the problem so all is well. (I did have my original serial number.)