Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-22-2023, 02:42 PM
Free Member

I am purchasing a JVC 7611 with TBC though it does not have a remote I have many JVC professional VCRs with remotes that are NTSC will these remotes work with the 7611?

Also I live in Canada and our power is 120 volts will I need a step up convertor to 220 volts?
01-22-2023, 02:51 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waloshin View Post
I am purchasing a JVC 7611 with TBC though it does not have a remote I have many JVC professional VCRs with remotes that are NTSC will these remotes work with the 7611?

Also I live in Canada and our power is 120 volts will I need a step up convertor to 220 volts?
No special remote needed. Use standard JVC MBR, the LP20303 safest.

No special (step) power needed. Just get a plug shape adapter, convert PAL/Europe prongs to USA, about $5-10 on Amazon or eBay. The power specs of the unit probably do say 50/60 100-240, aka a worldwide power supply. Even if not, ignore any PAL-only 220/240 specs, on these JVC S-VHS decks on these generations.

I use a 7611, simple plug shape adapter, wonderful deck. Mine came from VCRshop. And I use the JVC remotes I already had, came with 3800/7600/9900/etc. All fine.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-22-2023, 03:20 PM
Free Member

The strange thing is, the JVC 7611 manual on manualsLib has a picture of this vcr that are taken from the vcrshop website… (4 digit number sticker on top) Shame about those high prices at vcrshop for desperate people i guess...
01-22-2023, 04:38 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-Jan View Post
The strange thing is, the JVC 7611 manual on manualsLib has a picture of this vcr that are taken from the vcrshop website… (4 digit number sticker on top) Shame about those high prices at vcrshop for desperate people i guess...
Nonsense.
Twice.

The 7611 deck predates VCRshop, and VCRshop doesn't use stock photos. Those ripoff manual sites scrape information from places like VCRshop, this site, manufacturer sites, and others. Most of those sites have added watermarks, missing pages, wrong info, etc. It's nothing more than a shoddy scraper. So I'm not shocked whatsoever if content was taken from multiple sources, mashed together, and you got fooled by it.

VCRshop prices are a bargain. He sells refurb'd decks, not some random crap from eBay, a thrift market, or a boot sale. Right now, PAL S-VHS decks are somewhat abundant. But someday that will change (as it has with NTSC), the prices will move upwards (and no, not due to mere supply/demand).

You admittedly use low-end cheap combo decks, lousy VCRs with DVD players/recorders, not quality VCRs of any kind, so I'd suggest this isn't a conversation where you're qualified to give any input.

01-22-2023, 06:45 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
No special remote needed. Use standard JVC MBR, the LP20303 safest.

No special (step) power needed. Just get a plug shape adapter, convert PAL/Europe prongs to USA, about $5-10 on Amazon or eBay. The power specs of the unit probably do say 50/60 100-240, aka a worldwide power supply. Even if not, ignore any PAL-only 220/240 specs, on these JVC S-VHS decks on these generations.

I use a 7611, simple plug shape adapter, wonderful deck. Mine came from VCRshop. And I use the JVC remotes I already had, came with 3800/7600/9900/etc. All fine.
Good to know that I do not need a step up power supply. Glad to know I can use my remote which is the one you have listed.
03-29-2023, 07:23 PM
Free Member

Greetings! I am converting my VHS tapes and I have the JVC HR-V510 model at hand. Is it any good? I could not find information if it has TBC. Any opinions, should I look for something else?
03-30-2023, 03:42 AM
Free Member

The v510 should be a decent deck (sqpb, best features, hi-fi) but no tbc, only s-vhs decks have one (the higher end models)

Last edited by lordsmurf; 04-23-2023 at 05:28 AM. Reason: See my reply below. -LS
04-08-2023, 03:55 AM
Free Member

In post No 3 many of the PAL models have "EK". I see many VCRs on VCRShop have "EU". Could somebody please explain the significance of the EK and EU, and is one better than the other?
04-08-2023, 05:16 AM
Free Member

The last 2 letters is a designation of what marked it was sold in. Suspect EU is central/northern europe (sans france) and EK is british isles based on features but not 100% sure. Difference between EU and EK will mostly be tuner and broadcast stereo system support which isn't really relevant for capture though one potential relevant thing is that the variation sold in the British isles often lacked MESECAM support. The designation wasn't always super consistent though.

On e.g the HR-S9700 the EU model you can see the feature table in this service manual. Unless you plan to use the rf modulator/tuner the only relevant difference is the lack of MESECAM support on the EK model.

Models with e.g AM , MS and U suffix are going to differ much more so have to check more carefully on those.

My Video gear overview/test/repair/stuff yt channel http://youtu.be/cEyfegqQ9TU
04-08-2023, 05:28 AM
Free Member

Thanks Hodgey, that's great.
04-08-2023, 05:42 AM
Free Member

I know for sure AM Multi-system NTSC/PAL/MESECAM, MS SECAM, U NTSC US model. I believe European models have differences on how to handle other formats such as NTSC (PAL60, NTSC 4,43) and MESECAM, but not sure.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
04-08-2023, 06:02 AM
Free Member

Thanks Latreche, I'm looking for a bog-standard PAL box so all those should be OK.
04-22-2023, 11:48 PM
Free Member

This list is great, and so glad I've found this site. Made an account just to say thanks!

I don't have tons of experience with any sort of tape players (unless I count my reel-to-reel...) but I at least have a little bit of knowledge of "video stuff" due to my arcade/retro-game hobby. I have a lot of Sony PVM/BVM and Panasonic CRT monitors which I have learned to service, Extron RGB interfaces/scalers/matrix switches, and some modern upscalers/capture devices.

I don't have a massive amount of tapes to digitise but I'm building a sort of "playback/archival/preservation" rack where my goal is to have at least one good quality playback/recording device for each major obsolete media format so in the event I ever would like to play, digitise or copy my old media to the same or another format in the future I will be able to do so with ease.

I was surprised to see no Sony VHS devices in the list. Is the reason for this simply lacking features such as no TBC? For my rack project I was exclusively looking for rack-mounted/factory rackmountable equipment (which the Sonys seemed to satisfy) and from some quick searching noticed a lot of the recommended JVC/Panasonic suggestions did not have rack ears. So, I'm best to stick to only those in this list and then put them in a tray mount? Are there any rack equivalents or ones I missed/overlooked?
04-23-2023, 01:55 AM
Free Member

Sony was not clear about how they implemented their TBC functionality and certainly never called it as such, They've been always sectretive about their designs, That uncertainty from the consumer kept their brand off the suggested list, I'm pretty sure that some of their machines have some sort of time base correction since they did employ digital processing and memory buffers in some of their VCRs but there was no button to turn them on or off for comparaison purposes. hence there is no way to know their effectivness.

04-23-2023, 04:17 AM
Free Member

The majority of the listed models are prosumer decks meant to sit in someones living room rather than designed with rackmount in mind, though some of the more editing-focused ones did to an extent.

There are some Sony SVHS VCRs with TBC, the SVO-5800 definitely has it, while the SVO-9500MDP and SVO-9600 with an add in card that states "corrects jitter" among other things. The 9500 you can see Jason Scott of archive.org using several of to digitize on his twitch stream with subsequent uploads to archive.org if you want to get an idea of how those work. Not seen much samples of the other too, though some people on videohelp have praised the 5800. These are all SP-only professional marked decks though.

In the Japanese marked there are some Sony consumer-oriented SVHS decks that advertise TBC, such as the WV-DR7/WV-DR9 and Wv-D9000 SVHS/DVCam combos, and the SLV-R7 (which looks to be a fancier variant of the SLV-R5 we got elsewhere.) and probably some more. Not much info in engish on any of these. The Japanese market had a number of bonkers over the top VCRs which we only got cut down variants of elsewhere.

My Video gear overview/test/repair/stuff yt channel http://youtu.be/cEyfegqQ9TU
04-23-2023, 04:20 AM
Free Member

@ kardus: VHS was a typical consumers format, only as option used in studios, keep also in mind, that there are many newer VHS consumer VCR's perform better than those old bulky VHS studio models,
The most recent scalers and converters are mostly made for game consoles, which have a steady signal already, unlike an analog vcr, some vcr's or camcorders claim to have some sort of stablilisation, which is sometimes just enough for the not so picky consumer capture devices, if you have a lot of money, and find that rare & costly good working TBC, you are in luck, my personal opinion is, that it is a lot of work and knowledge to use a computer to capture analog video, once having a steady video signal, (f.i. by use of a consumer passthrough device with VHS refresh feature) then using a dedicated (no cheap china) analog to digital (SDI/HDMI) converter, one can have a good transfer, where the "think" stuff is already done, like the video levels etc… and record to an invisible lossless format, like Prores422 onto monitor/recorder (or add on SDI/HDMI pc-card, no usb..)
You have an easy workflow that way also for bulk transfer, if that is what you need, if you have enough of spare time you can try using an computer, but the learning curve is steep is my opinion, i know other people completly disagree with my opinion, i don't care, that's another story for different reasons

Last edited by Eric-Jan; 04-23-2023 at 04:38 AM.
04-23-2023, 05:16 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
The last 2 letters is a designation of what marked it was sold in. Suspect EU is central/northern europe (sans france) and EK is british isles based on features but not 100% sure. Difference between EU and EK will mostly be tuner and broadcast stereo system support which isn't really relevant for capture though one potential relevant thing is that the variation sold in the British isles often lacked MESECAM support. The designation wasn't always super consistent though.
You are 100% correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
The v510 should be a decent deck (sqpb, best features, hi-fi) but no tbc, only s-vhs decks have one (the higher end models)
Generic lowest-end PAL consumer VCR. Not a good deck at all, way too low end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kardus View Post
This list is great, and so glad I've found this site. Made an account just to say thanks!

Quote:
Extron RGB interfaces/scalers/matrix switches, and some modern upscalers/capture devices.
Be careful with Extron gear, some BS is out there, claiming features/abilities not actually present, for functions never intended.

Quote:
I was surprised to see no Sony VHS devices in the list. Is the reason for this simply lacking features such as no TBC?
The main reasons are that
- Not intended for consumer sources whatsoever, so no VHS, especially not LP and SLP/EP mode.
- Most Sony S-VHS decks are ancient, lacking features, and failing en masse (and have been for decades now, reason why so few are now seen).
- The Sony decks were intended for niche uses, such as using in hospitals, surveillance, or with pro turnkey Sony edit setups. So heavily used by non-video people, aja another reason units were abused, and mostly failed.

In the Sony S-VHS decks that were created for hobbyist/pro "prosumers", and using some % of consumer sources (ie VHS), where playback line TBC is essential, no such TBC was included. It was just overpriced, and you paid for the Sony name brand, not the features and function.

I believe a single Sony deck had TBC, but it's so rarely seen.
(Around 1998/99, I vaguely remember that Sony being on the shelf, at a flagship major-metro Circuit City store, next to an Aiwa S-VHS, and several JVCs. At the time, I was considering adding a non-JVC deck, but trying to resist pricey Panasonics, then ~$2k MSRP. I took a test tape with me. I left with another JVC.)

Quote:
For my rack project I was exclusively looking for rack-mounted/factory rackmountable equipment (which the Sonys seemed to satisfy) and from some quick searching noticed a lot of the recommended JVC/Panasonic suggestions did not have rack ears. So, I'm best to stick to only those in this list and then put them in a tray mount? Are there any rack equivalents or ones I missed/overlooked?
JVC racks exist. The gear I sell in the marketplace isn't picked-over eBay junk sold by recyclers, but comes from more professional settings. It's often gear pulled from racks, from facilities ending analog work, or closing entirely. Most all TBCs and S-VHS have racks, it's simply harder to locate in the 2020s, seeing as how that was a 90s/00s need and use. Over the years, I tried to sell them cheap, then tried togive them away for free. No takers. I now just trash or recycle them.

Right now, I have a JVC rack in the garage. If you want it, just cover the shipping, and it's yours. It's in nice condition too, no real scratches. It wasn't even dirty until I set it out there. But I'd clean it back off for you. We can discuss details on the rack, the models it's made for, via PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
That uncertainty from the consumer kept their brand off the suggested list,
That's exactly it. The suggested list for models that are guaranteed to work, though condition of course matters more now (good model + bad condition = bad unit). Anything that is screwy to use simply is not suggested. The list is meant to help others, not give them more problems. Yes, some items are omitted by oversight, but some are purposely not listed. In fact, after the forum upgrade, I want to create a list of NOT suggested items, with reasons.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that some of their machines have some sort of time base correction since they did employ digital processing and memory buffers in some of their VCRs but there was no button to turn them on or off for comparaison purposes. hence there is no way to know their effectivness.
I think you're referring to the old VTRs here, the medical and whatnot. And that's all correct for those. The units "do stuff", because the intended users were non-video persons. As we all know, reading is often hard, instructions are just more padding in the box. To protect their own brand reputation (ie, items work, and well, for that intended use), it had to be dumbed down for dummies. And not having buttons, menus, all cheaper to not implement.

Quote:
The majority of the listed models are prosumer decks meant to sit in someones living room
No, never. Prosumer decks were intended for hobbyists, and professionals (tertiaries, backup, portables, smaller shops, etc), not Joe Sixpack that sat his duff on the couch with a bag of Cheetos.

Quote:
rather than designed with rackmount in mind, though some of the more editing-focused ones did to an extent.
It was really just a case of smarter design, smarter at knowing their audience, and smarter at cost savings (everything from materials costs to shipping costs). These units did not need rack ears, but racks were optionally available as needed.

Quote:
There are some Sony SVHS VCRs with TBC, the SVO-5800 definitely has it, while the SVO-9500MDP and SVO-9600 with an add in card that states "corrects jitter" among other things. The 9500 you can see Jason Scott of archive.org using several of to digitize on his twitch stream with subsequent uploads to archive.org if you want to get an idea of how those work. Not seen much samples of the other too, though some people on videohelp have praised the 5800. These are all SP-only professional marked decks though.
... and intended for special settings, heavily recording-only, sometimes linear editing.

A setting like medical is disgusting, so many (hopefully) dead germs/bacteria/allergens on and in those things. It's a petri dish. I've turned down medical VCRs, even for free, for decades now. No way. Nasty. Unless I know, with documented proof, what it was used in a non-medical setting. Normal VCRs are risky enough as it is (mold spew).

Quote:
In the Japanese marked there are some Sony consumer-oriented SVHS decks that advertise TBC, such as the WV-DR7/WV-DR9 and Wv-D9000 SVHS/DVCam combos, and the SLV-R7 (which looks to be a fancier variant of the SLV-R5 we got elsewhere.) and probably some more. Not much info in engish on any of these. The Japanese market had a number of bonkers over the top VCRs which we only got cut down variants of elsewhere.
And NTSC-J, so IRE/pedestal doesn't match North America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-Jan View Post
i know other people completly disagree with my opinion,
It's because your opinion is based on a tiny sample size, where luck can massively skew your results. Furthermore, your samples to date have been extremely lackluster, even to other newbies/laymen. Again, I'm glad you found a solution for yourself, but many others won't be anywhere as pleased, and in fact your solutions won't work for them whatsoever.

Also notice this is a thread dedicated to recommended VCRs. Not other random cheap items. Stay on topic.

04-23-2023, 06:44 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
And NTSC-J, so IRE/pedestal doesn't match North America.
The NTSC vs NTSC-J difference is what's on the tape, the VCR normally won't have any effect on it, it's just going to pass whatever variant was recorded on the tape out. Though in this case the VCR has TBC/Digital processing that actually does interact with the sync pulses in the video so could get the level slightly off depending on how it's designed. Unless it's actually clipping (though that seems like it would be more a thing with NTSC-J tape on standard NTSC) it should be an issue though.
04-23-2023, 07:11 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
The NTSC vs NTSC-J difference is what's on the tape, the VCR normally won't have any effect on it, it's just going to pass whatever variant was recorded on the tape out. Though in this case the VCR has TBC/Digital processing that actually does interact with the sync pulses in the video so could get the level slightly off depending on how it's designed. Unless it's actually clipping (though that seems like it would be more a thing with NTSC-J tape on standard NTSC) it should be an issue though.
Internal processing. That's exactly it, as is often the case. Almost everything internally processes to some degree, and has since the late 80s. Most processing is bad, in a macro sense of all VCRs ever made. Not including the VCRs on the recommended list, or course, though many of those also have lousy settings that harm (JVC R3, Sharp picture mode, Calibration).

04-23-2023, 12:22 PM
Free Member

In the later years of VHS, Sony basically let other manufacturers use their technology under other brands in other markets around the world, Asia, Europe, Africa, They kept selling few high end consumer models mostly in North America and Japan, I remeber when I use to live in North Africa I see Aiwa, Funai, Toshiba, Philips, Sanyo, Thomson (French). Basically JVC, Sony and Panasonic were rare and very expensive because they were imported by individual immigrants.