Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-15-2017, 07:05 AM
Free Member

The model i have which is a panasonic DMR-E50 can record on dvd or passthrough ntsc, so yes.Works great on horizontal jitter.
The only problem is if you have commercial tapes you'll need a macrovision remover like grex
01-17-2017, 03:50 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
No.
What you propose sounds like a pass-through situation: VCR > VCR to process signal > capture
But VCRs don't have passthrough.
What are you trying to accomplish?
I have a Panasonic CVHS tape from early 90's. It was recorded in black and white LP mode. I think the camcorder didn't set properly so the video is super shaky and it needs to be stabilize. Under the VHS mark on the tape it says (PAL SECAM). My vcr is multi system(not world wide) but it doesn't specify the type of the tape, so I am not sure whether it's PAL or SECAM.

Can the Panasonic nv fs200 (or other suggested PAL vcrs) stabilize the video for me?

On the front of the Panasonic nv fs200 it says MESECAM. Does it mean, it plays MESECAM?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (42.2 KB, 28 downloads)
04-22-2017, 02:56 PM
Free Member

I have NV HS 950, FS 88, NV HS 900 and NV HS 1000. NV HS 950 is best.
04-24-2017, 09:18 AM
Free Member

Quote:
JVC D-VHS (PAL)

These decks have a lot of the same features as the prosumer S-VHS line, but also has an added ability to cure VHS tearing, much like the Panasonic DMR-ES10 DVD recorder does on pass-through.
  • JVC HM-DR10000U
As alluded to in another thread, there's a typo here. It's an EU model. There's also the one tagged EK but I assume there is no functional difference between them...
05-05-2017, 05:22 AM
Free Member

I found a JVC HR-S8007UM for sale so I asked the seller what are its supported standards, and he said it has an option menu to select either NTSC or PAL-M. It makes sense because its being sold in Brazil. I don't have too much evidence beyond this seller's word, but maybe this is enough to update the UM "Key to characters" for the JVC models on page 2.

I also found a JVC HR-J4020UB for sale, and it seems to support the same formats: NTSC and PAL-M (also marketed for Brazil, since I found a PT-BR manual for it); this unit has SQPB (Super Quasi-Play Back), meaning that it can play S-VHS tapes with a VHS output quality but cannot record S-VHS tapes itself. So there's also this new UB suffix to investigate.

In short: JVC's UM/UB = (in theory) Brazilian model, NTSC and PAL-M.

And for the non-S-VHS non-SQPB units, I own a JVC HR-J646M which also supports NTSC, PAL-M and since I own it and use it regularly (unlike the others I cited above), I can confirm it has an internal NTSC->PAL-M converter, to also be able to play NTSC tapes on PAL-M screens.

Just thought I'd share my findings on this obscure side of video standards and VCR models because it's really hard to find this info on the Internet due to its niche market. Perhaps this might help a fellow Brazilian trying to google for this kind of stuff. Wish I could help other South American fellows too with the PAL-N system, but it seems to be even more obscure than PAL-M, and I basically gave up trying to find info on it. Maybe their domestic units are suffixed with N or similar, that is if good units were ever produced for this standard...

Attached Files
File Type: pdf JVC HR-J4020UB LPT0933-001A.pdf (1.07 MB, 4 downloads)
05-05-2017, 10:54 AM
Premium Member

Tapes produced in PAL-N VCRs should play in any standard PAL deck as the on-tape format is the same. The only difference was the broadcast standard (basically 50Hz PAL over a 6Mhz channel instead of 8Mhz). PAL-M tapes are likely not compatible with anything but PAL-M and multisystem VCRs. At least they'll play in black and white on NTSC decks though.
04-22-2018, 09:23 AM
Free Member

Any opinion on the JVC s-vhs HR-S6600? Is it worth a buy?
08-21-2018, 04:24 PM
Free Member

Quote:
SECAM
Panasonic Multi-Format (PAL/NTSC/SECAM)
You might want to know, that the Panasonic DMR-ES35V is also an exellent DVD/VHS combo, which also gives a perfect stable video signal from a VHS tape for capturing, I use a Intensity Shuttle, from BlackMagic Design, which only accepts a stable video signal, PAL or NTSC, interlaced or progresive.
This Panasonic recorder has all analog output connections: Component, Composite, and S-video, has also a DV/iLink/Firewire input.
For use of the Component output, it needs to be set to progresive (YUV) other options/settings that that refer to RGB, need to be switched off, to be able to set the progresive mode of the component output.
This recorder is said to be able to record a resolution of 500 lines.....
11-26-2018, 11:38 PM
Free Member

As far as I can find the only S-VHS/TBC deck with 625/525 engine that plays natively any PAL/NTSC/MESCAM with no conversion is the JVC HR-S7600AM, Anyone owns other model with such features?
11-27-2018, 02:46 AM
Free Member

Here is a picture of what it is printed on the face plate:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1746.jpg (43.1 KB, 364 downloads)
01-04-2019, 08:47 AM
Free Member

Maybe a bit late to mention, but I noticed talk about the JVC HR S8500 when digging through this thread. It was suggested it would be like having edit mode on constantly due to not having the picture modes.

As I have the PAL version of it I want to note that it does have some image processing processing similar to them when not in edit mode. If edit is set to on it seems to disable pretty much any processing other than whatever the TBC/DNR function does. So it's similar, but essentially only allows on/off rather than having it more configurable.
01-04-2019, 08:52 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
Maybe a bit late to mention, but I noticed talk about the JVC HR S8500 when digging through this thread. It was suggested it would be like having edit mode on constantly due to not having the picture modes.

As I have the PAL version of it I want to note that it does have some image processing processing similar to them when not in edit mode. If edit is set to on it seems to disable pretty much any processing other than whatever the TBC/DNR function does. So it's similar, but essentially only allows on/off rather than having it more configurable.
No, never late. I like hearing stuff like this.

It sounds as if the 8500 behaves the same as the 7500 and 9500. And those are fine. I was somewhat against those models in years past, but after further goading by some members here and elsewhere, and their testing, and my own testing, the units are pretty decent after all. Latter units are a tad better, but not by too much. The most issue with the older units is that they're older, hence more worn.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-24-2019, 01:31 PM
Free Member

I believe the Panasonic AG-W2 and W3 may be rebadges of the Samsung models, rather than the opposite. The mechanism and internals of the Samsung SVW-7000W seems to have a fair bit in common with the newer Samsung decks I got, and doesn't look like any panasonic mechanism I've seen. That is unless the panasonic analogues have completely different internals. The remote from the SVW also works on my other Samsung decks.

IMG_20181017_150949.jpg

The AG-W1 seems to be completely different based on the images of online so it probably is panasonic-made.

08-12-2019, 03:22 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Matt_DE's post moved here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...w-capture.html
Continue that topic there.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-10-2019, 06:55 PM
Free Member

Lordsmurf,
Is there a reason why the JVC SR-MV40 isn't included in your recommended VCR list? I saw you sold one a while back so I figured you would have an opinion on it. I came across one locally and wanted to check with you since it isn't included in the list. Thanks!
09-11-2019, 12:37 AM
Free Member

Because he probably sold it as a pass through DVD player not for actual capturing VHS tapes.
09-11-2019, 05:48 AM
Free Member

Nah that's a SVHS model with TBC. I'm guessing he just forgot to add it. There are some JVCs missing on the PAL side as well, like 8600, 8700, 77**.
09-11-2019, 06:18 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
Nah that's a SVHS model with TBC. I'm guessing he just forgot to add it. There are some JVCs missing on the PAL side as well, like 8600, 8700, 77**.
8960 will do fine even for a Intensity Shuttle used here, no external TBC needed, only S-video available..
10-28-2019, 07:56 PM
Free Member

I'm wondering if it might be work adding a note about the NV-HS1000 in the guide. At least the older revision (EG, B) of it seems to have issues with dropout correction, it's really lackluster even compared to low-end consumer decks from the same era. Never seen any notes of the issue with the older NV-FS200 either. I noted in another thread that I managed to improve it slightly by tweaking a pot, which at least avoided black streaks on every dropout, but it is still very lackluster. Quasipal confirmed also having the black streaks issue in the thread and I've seen at least one more video on here with the same problem from another user. Never got any reply on whether the one they had that didn't have the issue was the newer revision (EGC, ECC, BYP) but I suspect it may be as the internals were changed a bit. Don't know this issue is due to a design flaw, a failing/underspecified component or some other reason. It's possible the issue is exaggerated a bit on the one we have due to head wear resulting in more dropouts than normal, but I don't know for sure.

A user over at VH seems to have had the same experience with the DOC having picked up an NV-HS1000 after following the guide, so maybe it's worth at least noting that it can have some problems.

The machine looks excellent on good tapes, but it's a bit unreliable due to the DOC issues.

Maybe also worth noting that it's not really a AG1980P analogue (unlike the FS200), it has completely different internals and a different mechanism.
01-06-2020, 11:34 AM
Free Member

Hello, I am looking for advice or some personal experience with professional S-VHS machine JVC BR-S611E. Is it worth buying compared to for example JVC HR-S9600 while in same price area? Professional one sounds like a steal for that money and it is close to my area. Almost too good to be true situation. I am looking for something to digitize VHS tapes on. Some of my own and of wider family members, neighbors, maybe for money if somebody will be interested later. No big projects, but I'd like to get most out of the tapes. I am for sure not interested in any recording or mastering capabilities or connectivity with any studio equipment, so basically only differences in picture quality, error correction capabilities and tape handling. Thanks. Vit Soucek