02-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Free Member

Just bought myself and 8710 TBC.

Converting SVHS PAL tapes ... do I just leave the unit as is 'plug & play' or should I be setting anything specific on this.

Did try a site search but didn't come across settings.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

I can go into the buttons one by one in the near future. They've been mentioned in some past posts here -- mostly discussions of the built-in proc amp functions.

The AVT-8710 TBC is really a "plug-and-use" type device. Give it power, plug in your video input and output, and you're done. The signal is filtered merely by being inpiut/output from the device -- there's nothing to "turn on".

It will auto-select the video format (PAL, NTSC), but you're best selecting this manually -- just in case. Sometimes it gets confused in auto mode.

The other settings are more or less self-explanatory: Brightness, Contrast, Color, etc. They are very weak, making only minor adjustments as compared to a full true proc amp. But if all you need is minor adjustments, then this works fine.

Welcome to the site. If you need anything else, post away.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
02-05-2010, 03:12 AM
Free Member

As I will be editting in Sony Vegas, assume I can leave fine 'tuning' to there.
Having seen so many times that I should be using a TBC ... just wanted to check if there was anything I need set up to get best capture (frame synch etc)
02-05-2010, 07:32 AM

Some things are best filtered in the analog/pre-digital domain. I would suggest you do as much color correction BEFORE the capture is done (before the video hits that Canopus DV digital converter box). The AVT-8710 timebase corrector doesn't come with the best proc amp for altering color, contrast, brightness, etc -- but it can be better than nothing at all, if small tweaks are needed.

The frame synchronizer is part of the TBC, and it's all automatic. There nothing to adjust, turn on, etc -- one of the few idiot-proof video devices, easier than a VCR even!

You'll be fine, I imagine!

The following users thank admin for this useful post: Tafflad (02-05-2010)
02-12-2010, 03:49 AM
Free Member

Started to using 8710 ...for it first time and very strange results.
Let me give an example -

VHS tape has an opening sequence of black, then some title text, after about 10 sec , a then second title screen, followed 10sec later by gradual fade in of video.
If I play the tape .. this works fine.
When I digitized it without TBC .. i.e just through ADVC300 - fine

However when I digitized today with the 8710 in the path, the resulting capture has the first title screens OK, but when the second screen comes in the first stays .. so ends up with a text overlay mix.

If I look at frames individually they are correct, but when I play the DV file it’s screwed ….. weird ?

The rest of the video seems to have captured OK … but see no improvement over ADVC300 on it's own.

Thinking it was something stupid … I cleaned video heads, and ran capture again … same thing?

Is there something I need to do here …………….. could there be interaction between 8710 & ADVC300 ? or is it something else?

Do I need to turn anything off on the ADVC300 ?
There is certainly something weird going on ...
Here is an output screen grab which shows the problem Scene 1, Scene 2 and the output which has merged them ..

exampleA.jpg

While creating screen grabs I noticed another weird thing that I guess is related
I assume to interlacing.
I took the same 'merged' screen grab and resized it ... when I resize it by 50%the overlaid text disappears... nothing special just a simple 50% resize in paint.

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

Last edited by admin; 02-12-2010 at 12:46 PM. Reason: images cropped and attached to forum post
02-12-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
If I look at frames individually they are correct, but when I play the DV file it’s screwed
This is either a player issue, or the overly-aggressive DNR in the Canopus 300 box (turn it off).

Quote:
The rest of the video seems to have captured OK … but see no improvement over ADVC300 on it's own.
Improvements are not meant to be visual. The external TBC is made to stabilize the signal for accurate capture.

Quote:
the output which has merged them
What you're seeing is interlacing. Read more about interlacing on the video capturing ("for dummies"-style) intro guide to understanding your source at http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/vid...nd-sources.htm

Paint is apparently smart enough to do a deinterlace on downsize. Did not know it could/would do that!

The following users thank admin for this useful post: Tafflad (02-12-2010)