Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-16-2009, 07:02 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Sometimes you need to use multiple filters, yes. Just don't use so many that the audio starts to sound "digital" from over-processing.

OK is correct, not save.

Restoration is about making it better, not making it perfect. I could probably correct that file better, but given your skill level, it may prove harder. A guide is already here on pre-processing a noise sample to the head of a file, for further Goldwave work. That's one idea. Trying more SF filters is another. A pop/click filter in the "aggressive" preset in Goldwave can maybe help remove crackling caused by tracking errors or damaged HiFi track, though it'll never be as perfect as simply having perfect tracking to being with.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Free Member

I just used High Restore F, Remove Hiss, Hum & Whine..it seemed to sound alright..I could tell a good difference at the start of the video. When I hit ok on the filter, and the box disappears and it does the blue bar at the bottom, when it's done, I just do regular "file, save as" to save the new audio I just did, right?
I assumed that's what to do, but just wanna double check to make sure
06-16-2009, 12:38 PM
Free Member

To go with my last post, I just saved the new audio I just did (file, save as) and I went to my videos, where it's saved, and I see that the new audio I just did is there, I saved it as "new audio"(it's wav) and next to it is another file, "new audio.sfk"
When I go into TMPEG AC3, since that's my next step, which file do I bring in? The new audio which is .wav, or the .sfk one?
Do I do anything with the .sfk one, or should I just delete it?
06-16-2009, 12:50 PM

SFK is a temp file, delete it. You can set up SoundForge to auto-delete those temp files, in the software options/preferences. Go to OPTIONS (you know, File, Edit, etc etc ... Options is up there, too). Go down to bottom, to Preferences.

Go to the FILE tab, and check these boxes. Apply/OK and you're done.

Won't happen anymore. Still delete old ones already made, however.

soundforge-tempfiles.jpg

Yes, on other question, filters is just select/preview and then OK on good one. Blue bar while processing, then when done, time to save (or save as) to WAV file. If overwriting existing, save. If for some reason you want both an unprocessed and processed versions of audio, save as to new one. I can already guess you might ask me what to do here. There's no right answer. But I have terabytes of hard drive space, I can "save as" all day long. Sometimes I just save, though.

07-23-2009, 01:55 AM
Free Member

In the Soundforge guide, at the end of it, it says
Soundforge Filter: This is the 80% value curve based on peaks that I suggest for all DVD-Video applications. Go to Process-Normalize to initiate the filter
And in the picture, on the dropdown box at the top next to the word preset, it says Default DVD 80%
Well, in my dropdown, that's not there...how do I get it?
Also, once I do get it, do I leave it as the Default DVD 80% all of the time?
07-23-2009, 07:57 PM

You must not have copied over all of the filter presets.

Re-read the instructions at http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/vid...soundforge.htm on how to import the presets.