Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Free Member

I have been reading the pages at:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/vid...soundforge.htm

Are there updated pages ? the processing options and FX presets do not loo like the screen shots, assume it has moved on since written ... I'm using ver10 ... hence the Q if anything newer.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-24-2013, 02:02 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Yes, those need a major overhaul this winter (Q4 2013 to Q1 2014). That's planned.
What is it you're trying to do?
While those guides are a good primer, the best help with specific audio problems is often via these forums.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
10-24-2013, 04:05 PM
Free Member

Just really starting to use it ... have a whole bundle of VHS tapes, converted to DV video, and want to clean up the sound ... so was interested in the VHS audio restore part.
10-24-2013, 04:27 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Upload a noisy clip, I'll quickly restore it, and tell you what I did. You can then tweak it more if you want.
Learn by example, hands-on.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
10-24-2013, 04:54 PM
Free Member

I'll dig out suitable clip ... Thanks

update --

OK ... extracted a clip from one video ... its a bit of cut & paste so you can hear the various problems.

Originally a VHS tape ... so not exactly HiFi. It was a military 'passing out' parade.

This is from a recently digitized video ... no audio work carried out yet.

Start of sample is typical Military band ... then from 12 sec point the 'inspection of the troops'
Here it's a combination of low level speech and high wind noise .... followed by another sample music sect at 30 sec and a 'Generals review' from 1:00 again low level voices but noise, esp wind noise.

If you want the video included happy to do so.... not sure what you wanted.

Attached Files
File Type: wav output sample1.wav (25.22 MB, 2 downloads)
07-27-2014, 07:20 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
There's not much that can be done here. You can try to remove some of the wind noise, but as a side effect, it removes the treble from the band music.

Some noise is present, at around 1:30, isolated in the attach noise print.

The "whipping" wind noise is often impossible to remove, as it overpowers the good audio, and dips into both the trebele and bass levels.

FYI: A lot of so-called "wind" tutorials you see online, at Youtube/etc, are not really dealing with wind noise like this. There's a huge difference between background noise and a whipping wind. Background noise is fixable.

Wind noise has to be prevented -- not fixed afterwards.

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)

Attached Files
File Type: wav output sample1 noise print.wav (144.1 KB, 1 downloads)

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-27-2014, 07:37 AM
Free Member

Thanks ... I can reduce level of the lot so treat it that way.