02-20-2019, 04:49 PM
Free Member

IAfter capturing VHS video...Virtualdub

I cut unwanted parts and add other clips (same config) to get a longer video master and save it as avi. (process that takes time even if you use direct stream copy mode)

These long videos need to be edited later... and with the resultant generate h264 for viewing.
Many shots have very low light conditions and that is why there is a lot of grain that I will try to soften with some filters. (I listen recommendations)

The capture come from VHS NTSC, I did not change anything in the internal configuration of huffyuv. Naturally, the driver is set to YUV2.
I guess that after obtaining another smoothed master it would be time to make changes in the color depth for the moment of choosing the codec for viewing.

I would like the most experts to tell me if I have taken the right path to do what I want.
I would not like to run into preventable problems later. . Thank you.

-- merged --

Well, to be premium member looks like to be in the middle of the desert.

Last edited by lordsmurf; 03-05-2019 at 09:30 AM. Reason: If we missed a post, which can happen, just bump it after some time has passed, we'll get to it. -LS
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-05-2019, 09:29 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
That seems fine, yes.

- Capture NTSC as NTSC

Set input color depth to be YUY2 in VirtualDub.
You need to be careful with appending clips, but stream copy should disallow mismatched sources.
FYI: Stream copy output mostly takes time due to drive speed, the I/O. If using SSD, it'll be markedly faster.

- VirtualDub used to cut, stream copy output.
- Restore underexposed video, as best as possible. That probably requires Avisynth, for best results.

Remember to mask overscan.

Encode a cleaned copy to H.264. Lossy encodes need clean video, otherwise it will become soft and blocky, not enouggh bitrate. The encoder also matters. For H.264, I use MainConcept payware, or Avidemux freeware, though I'm liking Hybrid more and more (selur has done excellent job at creating it).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-05-2019, 10:40 AM
Free Member

Thank’s lordsmurf...
I’m gonna look for some info about avisinth because I have not used it. I thought that something like video neat would be necessary for that. avisynth fulfills that function?
By the way.... the dmr works great.
03-05-2019, 10:43 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Yes, got the PM on the DMR, just haven't had time to reply. Glad to hear it

Avisynth works much better than NeatVideo.
- Avisynth is like scalpel, and can be use with surgical precision.
- NeatVideo is like a hammer, and everything is a nail.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs