Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-03-2023, 12:54 PM
Free Member

I've seen this statement come up numerous times by LS and many other members, that JVC and Panasonic players differ from each other, but how exactly? Is it the mechanics? Picture differences? Not owning a Panasonic unit myself, I can't really compare them on my own.

Also, is it true that for the VHS-C tapes it's better to use a Panny VCR? I recall a mention that the JVC decks may eat your tapes.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-02-2023, 07:35 AM
Premium Member

@sunk, see LS' answer here
Quote:
JVC and Panasonic decks act different. More noise passes on the Panasonics, and the unity/0 sharpness is false (which enhances the noise). But the tradeoff is the Panasonic can work better when you have EP tapes (ie, not really a PAL issue), or upscale is a concern (the false boost sharpening may assist, in tiny incremental use). In PAL lands, I don't really see much need for Panasonics, unless it's just a bargain (and condition equal to the JVC at the time).
from https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...re#post2693978

Last edited by lordsmurf; 07-02-2023 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Quoted text here. -LS
07-02-2023, 08:57 AM
Free Member

Yeah, I saw it. Looks informative, but I still have questions regarding VHS-C tapes.
07-02-2023, 09:01 AM
Premium Member

The difference in PAL is not huge based on my very limited experience ( a couple of VCRs from each brand).

I did put vhs-c tapes (using an adapter) in both, never encountered an issue. I know others who always use JVC for VHS-C.

I personally think (but I am not sure), the information about JVC may eat your vhs-c tape is more like "there is a much lower chance" it will happen with a panny, but JVC will not always surely eat your tape. State of the VCR matters a lot in this particular use-case.

Here is what I would do if was you:
I have a JVC, vhs-c tapes, not panny, no adapter.
I will ask myself, is finding the answer worth 200-300€ to buy a Panasonic? No. I will just buy a good adapter, try with my JVC, if it works, I am happy. If it doesn't now I am sure there is a reason to pay money.

This is not advice, I am not saying you should do like me, but just sharing what I would do.
07-02-2023, 09:33 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Certain EOL JVCs do decent at EP/VHS-C tapes. It depends on factors, and gets very model specific, not just generic. The generics are accurate, the exceptions are exceptions.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-03-2023, 02:01 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunk View Post
...Also, is it true that for the VHS-C tapes it's better to use a Panny VCR? I recall a mention that the JVC decks may eat your tapes.
Unfortunately, unless maintained, any VCR can eat our tapes. Many things can go wrong. Even just left for a long time well stored but unused, VCR transport problems can develop. Rubber and felt parts deteriorate. Adhesives dry out and fail. Lubricants dry out and go sticky. Switch contacts tarnish. Plastic parts can go brittle and break. VCR's are complex mechanical devices. We're stuck with used, ageing machines. Unfortunately regular skilled maintenance, assuming parts availability, is the only guarantee of long term reliability, avoiding tape damage.

Last edited by timtape; 07-03-2023 at 02:33 AM.