Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Free Member

Hello,

Reality tell me that PAL pros amp and image enhancer are hard to find and with S-video

Do I lost "more" if I decide to use pros amp that have only RCA output/input vs not using them but keeping the signal from the VCR in S-video cable till capture?

I have strange question

Regards
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
It's not a strange question at all. In fact, it's quite intelligent to consider this.

Yes, you usually lose picture quality by switching to a composite signal ("RCA") instead of leaving luma/chroma separated. Remember that s-video stands for "separated video", and not "super video" or "SVHS video" like some people mistakenly believe. Leaving the signals separated prevents crosstalk noise, such as dot crawl, or increased chroma noise and color bleeding. Cramming all the video into a single signal is inferior. That's why coax is lousy (all audio + video) compared to RCA/composite (RCA red/white for audio + composite yellow for video), and again why both are inferior to s-video. S-video is further inferior to component ("RGB", or more accurately: luma, chroma-R and chroma-B), because the chroma signals are separated in component.

Try to use the best path as often as possible.

Sometimes composite in a workflow is unavoidable, due to conditions on the tape, or with other hardware in the workflows. In those cases, make the best of it. Using intermediate VCRs can also help, using them as 3D Y/C comb filters, to denoise/purify (decrapify) the composite signal.

As with a lot of things video, there's no direct answer: "Yes, do this." or "No, do that."
It really just depends on the situation.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
It's not a strange question at all. In fact, it's quite intelligent to consider this.

Yes, you usually lose picture quality by switching to a composite signal ("RCA") instead of leaving luma/chroma separated. Remember that s-video stands for "separated video", and not "super video" or "SVHS video" like some people mistakenly believe. Leaving the signals separated prevents crosstalk noise, such as dot crawl, or increased chroma noise and color bleeding. Cramming all the video into a single signal is inferior. That's why coax is lousy (all audio + video) compared to RCA/composite (RCA red/white for audio + composite yellow for video), and again why both are inferior to s-video. S-video is further inferior to component ("RGB", or more accurately: luma, chroma-R and chroma-B), because the chroma signals are separated in component.

Try to use the best path as often as possible.

Sometimes composite in a workflow is unavoidable, due to conditions on the tape, or with other hardware in the workflows. In those cases, make the best of it. Using intermediate VCRs can also help, using them as 3D Y/C comb filters, to denoise/purify (decrapify) the composite signal.

As with a lot of things video, there's no direct answer: "Yes, do this." or "No, do that."
It really just depends on the situation.
Thanks lordsmurf,

Since I got you on the hook

Can you tell me if I may have more IQ from a S9600EU vs S7600EK, I mean that I know that dynamic drum is not in the 7xxx serie but since you warned me about filters (9500 vs 9600), I don't want a yes or no answer but more you feeling about it...
01-11-2012, 10:39 PM
Premium Member

The NTSC HR-S7600U has the dynamic drum, don't know if that is the case with the PAL versions. The 7600U is basically a 9600U with 2MB DigiPure (vs. the 4MB found in the 9600). JVC stripped down the 7800U and later 7xxx models.
02-01-2012, 05:12 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mejnour View Post
Thanks lordsmurf, Since I got you on the hook
Can you tell me if I may have more IQ from a S9600EU vs S7600EK,
I don't want a yes or no answer but more you feeling about it...
I feel that the 7x00 and 9x00 function and look more or less the same. The SR-V10U is based on the 7900, and I've seen issues with mono audio (clicking in audio) that isn't present on the 9600-9900 decks. Then again, the same tape works fine in other SR-V10 decks, so I don't know.

Video is fickle.

I'd have no problems using a 7600 or 9600 -- both work for me.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs