Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-30-2013, 03:55 AM
Free Member

Hey LS

I know I have not been on the forum in ages!
I have just been busy with outside life for a while.
I had surgery, we moved, switched jobs etc....

Anyways I have a home audio question and I knew you'd be the one who could help me.
I have a Blu-Ray Player that has Optical Audio Output.
The Player is connected to my TV via HDMI.
My TV is a Sony Bravia (Model KDL-40V3000).
I just got a Denon Sound Bar.
My TV Has Optical Audio Output too.
This is what the TV Manual says....

"Dolby Digital Audio from the HDMI input will be Output as PCM"

Does this mean I am better off to connect my soundbar to the Blu-Ray directly, or will the TV pass the audio through?
Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Colin

fortunec00kie

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-30-2013, 04:00 AM
Former Site Staff | Computers

DTS has a higher dynamic range, than Dolby Digital which is higher than PCM.

The TV will just pass the audio through just fine, but as shown above, PCM doesn't quite have the same dynamic range that Dolby Digital has.

Personally, I would suggest trying both ways and see which sounds best to your ears. It may turn out that it sounds the same to you and doesn't make much of a difference.

-JMP

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Check out my latest Editorial.