Go Back    Forum > Featured > Marketplace

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-22-2017, 08:47 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deter View Post
Use a media player, so actually don't even play DVD's,
I get it now. Your Panasonic VCR to DVD recorder has a good tape player and good MPEG-2 encoder hardware included on it so why not use it. I think what threw me off was that you are in possession of top quality VCR(s) IE Panasonic AG1980 for getting the signal out of the tape and it is not being used in this case.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
Deter, the posted question was about capturing VHS, 8mm, and Hi8 tapes, and archiving them as DVD's for self, friends, and family.
Well I may have gone off topic with my question by asking about using DVD media as a temporary repository

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post

MPEG Layer II audio is not valid for NTSC DVD (Layer-II used only for PAL). Use Dolby AC3 or uncompressed PCM audio for NTSC.

Sanlyn Good Catch. Here I may have to go back to the school again. I used the guide here http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/vid...e-ati-mpeg.htm
to capture several tapes direct to MPEG-2 with MMC 8.5. Looking at the captured files I thought I saw the title MPEG Layer II audio assigned to them. I used WOMBLE to lightly edit and author a few DVD. As far as I know I never did recode the audio before burning with imgburn.

You make me think that I actually captured in 16 bit 48khz PCM in MMC. I will pay more attention next time
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-22-2017, 09:15 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bever View Post
Well I may have gone off topic with my question by asking about using DVD media as a temporary repository
No you didn't, it's a legitimate question. DVD disc is a viable archive medium, expected to last 40 uyears or so in a dry, moderate environment. The preferred blank media nowadays is Verbatim AZO DVD-R, available mostly on the internet, or Verbatim DVD+R/DL double layer, with single layer DVD-R preferred. These are the only type and brand of DVD media currently recommended for archival use. Anything else is taking a chance, especially with budget store-brand media known to be inferior from the outset. Geeks recommend 2 copies of each disc (one for backup). Verbatim DVD is tested to be more reliable than BluRay media.

Another viable method is 500GB to 1TB USB external hard drives, with Western Digital and Toshiba Canvio being the apparent favorites these days. The contents of about 120 DVD-R discs can be stored on a 500GB USB drive, which would usually be used as backup for DVD discs. DVD disc and USB drives can also be used to store lossless files and other video formats as "data" rather than authored DVD's.

@Deter, you can capture any video input to MPEG with Layer II audio on any computer. But you'll find that you can't do that on your NTSC DVD recorder, and formal DVD authoring won't accept layer II for NTSC burning to disc. Even if you could do so, most NTSC DVD/BluRay players will have audio problems with it. I believe Layer-II audio is still used, however, for MPEG-1 DVD's and VCD. Not certain on that score. It's been a few years since I even saw MPEG-1 except on rare forum posts.

Last edited by sanlyn; 01-22-2017 at 09:26 PM.
01-22-2017, 09:33 PM
Premium Member

bever,

What is coded on the DVD recorder, is grained in to the mpeg2 file. It is not the output of the machine it is the mpeg2 coder in the machine that improves the tapes. As Lord Smurf says cause of the LSI chip set the DVD recorders actually improve the recording. The MS100 has the most filters and does make the tapes look better. MV5 looks pretty close to what is played on the tape.

Have no coding issues, audio & video are always in sync. The MS100 is out of sync by 2 frames. Don't have to deal with motion issues, heavy macro blocking, and a million other problems.

My media player can upconvert the files also, cause of the HDMI it looks a little clearer and sharper than the s-video outputs from the JVC recorders.

Than you can edit the video, fix the video or whatever.

Last edited by deter; 01-22-2017 at 10:31 PM.
01-22-2017, 09:43 PM
Premium Member

The first need is for a decent VCR.

The other problem is playback for 8mm and video8 tape. Probably a transfer service would come in handy there, as a used camera with playback tbc would likely cost more than a lossless transfer service for a few '8'-series tapes.

Next would be a decent DVD recorder.

Last edited by sanlyn; 01-22-2017 at 10:06 PM.
01-22-2017, 10:31 PM
Premium Member

Want to close this thread special deal $375 with remote free shipping in the USA, this is my last unit to sell, giving $100 discount to close this thread

SOLD 4 UNITS ALREADY TO MEMBERS OF THIS VIDEO COMMUNITY.
01-22-2017, 11:26 PM
Free Member

I'd like to buy this, sent you a PM
01-23-2017, 03:45 AM
Premium Member

Hope you get all the units sold and everyone benefits.
01-23-2017, 06:07 AM
Premium Member

Please close this post and delete it all units have been sold, thank you jdonofrio for making my day.......
02-01-2017, 02:51 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Cleaned, closed.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Closed Thread