Go Back    Forum > Featured > Marketplace

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-12-2016, 05:39 PM
Premium Member

From dealing with DIGITAL FAQ in the past, and selling VCR's in this market place before. The JVC 9900U is a top of the line VCR that is highly recommended. It is one of the BEST VCR's you can purchase. It is perfect for doing your VHS to DVD/Digital, record or even play tapes.

All transaction are done via paypal, the VCR will ship out with in a day of the purchase, send me a PM here on DIGITAL FAQ with your email address to send you the invoice.

Have a few of these units for sale, in which I went through and did VCR maintenance on. aka Head Cleaning, dust removal, normal wear and tear repairs. The units all work really well, everyone gives off a uniform picture unlike the AG1980 which differs machine to machine.

Cosmetically, these units were used is a professional shop, being stack on top of another, so they have a few
scratches and nicks on the outward case. However this doesn't affect the playback of the unit.

Selling off 3 of these units, the price includes shipping, if you live in Canada, the rate changes and will have to adjust the price.

All units work, load and come with a fully working remote as well. (You need a remote for these machines).

Unit #1, has the most scratches and nicks and selling at a discount, $350
Units #2 & 3, are Cosmetically in better shape, and play tapes GREAT, $450

(This is from dealing with many JVC decks over the years, be careful loading tapes in an out of the machines, the loading mechanism on the JVC decks are the biggest problem you face, unlike the AG-1980 in which you need to rebuild the entire machine.)

Best settings to use to get the best results

Video Stabilization - Off
Picture - Edit
Audio - HI-FI (Problem tape with bad audio use the norm feature)
Digital R3 - Hit or Miss, test out on each tape which looks better
Picture Calibration - Off
Superimpose - Off
TBC - make sure the light is on, it the green light on the front of the VCR

The HR-S9900U is the top-of-the-line JVC S-VHS video recorder. It features an advanced ghost reduction tuner, and a new video navigation feature to easily locate your favorite recordings. Super VHS with a 4MB Digi Pure System, 19 Micron Heads & "ET" mode provide JVC's best picture, and the high resolution recording with any tape. High resolution Super VHS and VHS

Super VHS ET Recording
19 micron width EP Heads
DigiPure Technology w/ TBC and 4MB Frame Memory
Dynamic Drum w/ TimeScan and Pro-Slow
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-13-2016, 08:59 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Good deck.

Your post has been approved. Please note that it may have been edited to comply with rules for posting in the marketplace. We hope you're able to sell your video/photos/computer item, or locate your want — all for free, and better than you could on eBay or Craigslist. Thanks!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-18-2016, 05:44 PM
Premium Member

Very interesting. Is it just the JVCs you have at the moment ? Are you an engineer ? The reason I ask is because I was wondering if I could order a different NTSC model from Ebay and have it sent directly to you for servicing or repair (I am thinking of a JVC pro S-VHS/DVD combi). I am based in the UK. Many thanks.
12-19-2016, 01:27 AM
Premium Member

These are the best JVC decks, I have an MV5, and only use the DVD recorder the VCR is worthless.

If you want a good VCR these JVC decks are the best. You need a stand alone unit.

Yes I can repair stuff, like my own JVC DRM10S DVD Recorder has a messed up laser, and I can't find another replacement part. Until than it stays broken...That is what you deal with old electronics. Have had trouble with some of these DVD combo units before, and again never used the VCR part.
12-21-2016, 07:09 PM
Premium Member

I think I saw a thread in which you once did extensive work on a Panasonic AG-1980. Are your JVCs in that category, like capacitor replacements, etc ? Btw, I bow to your overall wisdom on the combi units, but I think there are a few JVC models which bear the magic words S-VHS, TBC and Digipure - are those a no-go too ? Thanks again.
12-21-2016, 08:29 PM
Premium Member

Yes, I offered this service over on Video Help, over the years I fixed a few of the members AG 1980's. It does take more than a few months per unit. It is not as simple as just replacing caps, to get the machines in perfect working order. You basically rebuild the machines. It is high end, old school electronics. However the membership over the last few years never wanted to pay for rebuilding a unit. For me to sit, than buy AG-1980's, fix them and sell them, is a waste of time. Nobody will pay for the complete service. Like $800 to $1,000 a machine.

I had a JVC 7800 and SV1 and the other models as well, once you get to the 9000 series. It is a new game, these units are a step above those really good JVC VCR's. I have seen no difference in like the 9500, 9800 and 9900 they all produce the same type of picture. However to me, the 9900 seems to be the best, that is just my opinion.

As long as you take care of these machines, provide some service, good maintenance, they will run for a long time. Just happen to have a lot of these units at the current time, 7 in total, and selling three of for now. Yes maintenance and cleaning has been done to everyone of these units.

Besides loading issues with JVC decks; the electronic and setup in the machines are a lot more to the point. It does what it needs to do, and produces a top level picture. You don't have to go in and replace capacitors. The machines perform in a unified mode, meaning the same from machine to machine. Just recorded the same VHS video from the 9800 and than used the 9900 to patch an area and the playback was identical.

This is my current setup. On this listing I will sell a 9900 off my rack cause they all run the same.

MS100 JVC recorder
9900 JVC
Panasonic EZ27
MV5 recorder
9900 JVC
AG 1980
Panasonic Broadcast Deck

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image1.jpg (51.2 KB, 13 downloads)

Last edited by deter; 12-21-2016 at 08:48 PM.
12-22-2016, 02:39 AM
Premium Member

On this video sample, doing everything this website promotes

Using a JVC SVHS 9900
Recordings with DS100

For the work I do, have to make edits, so re-coded the mpeg2 One time, masked out the scans lines by using chroma keying. Cut the video, left it normal meaning, mpeg2, 720x480 29.97 frames per second, 384K audio. You have no drop frames, no videos errors, this tape is over 21 years old, recorded from the cartoon network.

You are not really going to get much better quality out of a 21 year old tape, recorded in SLP mode from regular TV.

Yes the AG-1980 is a great machine and on some tapes it does a better job than the JVC decks. That is in the eyes of the viewer. Both are top of the line VCR's. As stated you need to rebuild AG1980 units. Pulling a few caps and replacing them doesn't fix the VCR. You are talking about hundreds of dollars in repair costs, that is if you actually find someone who is willing and knows how to fix them. These JVC decks are good to go, no work needed....

Attached Files
File Type: mpg Sample.mpg (63.36 MB, 22 downloads)
12-24-2016, 01:05 PM
Premium Member

Sorry for the delay in response, and thank you very much for taking the trouble to post the sample (which looked great by the way). My only regret is that deep down, I know that if I buy a JVC from you, I'll never ever be able to justify getting an AG-1980 as well, but yes please, I would like to purchase the JVC machine if that is OK with you. If the $350 one is intact and as robust as the others, I'll maybe take that, otherwise I'd be very pleased to take one of the others (your further advice welcome). I'm in the UK and I'm assuming the machine is 110V only, so if you know of a good quality power converter that would be good, otherwise I'll find one anyway. If you could let me know shipping and how to proceed further please.

I've seen Lordsmurf's DVD recorder list, and the JVCs seem hard to source at this time (the JVC DR-MH300 seems like the one to have !). The Panasonic ES-20 also had the LSI chip and there seem to be plenty of those around - do you have any experience of that one ? I hope it would be okay as long as I stick to 2 hours or less, since Lordsmurf condemns it at the 4 hour setting.

No need to rush the order, since I assume you'll probably be relaxing over Christmas/New Year, so I'll wait at your convenience. Many thanks.
12-24-2016, 01:52 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemaman View Post
I've seen Lordsmurf's DVD recorder list, and the JVCs seem hard to source at this time (the JVC DR-MH300 seems like the one to have !). The Panasonic ES-20 also had the LSI chip and there seem to be plenty of those around - do you have any experience of that one ? I hope it would be okay as long as I stick to 2 hours or less, since Lordsmurf condemns it at the 4 hour setting.
The ES series has several quirks. I almost never use it to record, keeping it for passthrough work.
But, then again, the JVC LSI series have some quirks, too.

The DR-M100S is my favorite. I don't much care for HDD units, as HDD failure tends to tank an otherwise-good deck from functioning. I use a Zoran chipset RCA for off-air (not tape!) recordings, and the HDD lifespan always worries me. Most HDD recorders are bricks when the HDD dies, even if the DVD drive is still fine.

The JVC 9900 will be a quality deck. The 9600/9800/9900 are all nice.

The ideal trifecta is the AG-1980, the 9600-9900, and a SR-V10. They're all different enough to deal with about 99% of all tapes altogether.

And deter has always proven himself competent and pleasant to work with.

12-25-2016, 10:42 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
The DR-M100S is my favorite.
Thanks Lordsmurf, and Happy Christmas. And as if to prove your point, right on cue there is currently a JVC DR M 100SU on Ebay for $595.00 where they quote digitalfaq in the description.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-DR-M-100...oAAOSwc3ZUoL3N
12-25-2016, 06:17 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemaman View Post
Thanks Lordsmurf, and Happy Christmas. And as if to prove your point, right on cue there is currently a JVC DR M 100SU on Ebay for $595.00 where they quote digitalfaq in the description.
$595?

But then again, if the seller is honest, all bad caps have been replaced. I'd only pay that if he used solid non-liquid caps. If you have a lot of tapes, and need peace of mind that it will last, then I'd do it. But again, only if not wet caps. (And remember that solid caps make it less resilient to spikes, so it MUST be a good 1500W type UPS, not a wimpy "surge" or even wimpy UPS!)

If he used wet, or missed a cap, then a future repair need is likely. When those boards go, it's like dominos, maybe delayed. One failure cascades, sometimes slowly.

12-25-2016, 07:24 PM
Premium Member

Yes, the price is too high for me and the repairs are an unknown, but I just thought it was amusing they referenced this site. According to a database on an AVS Forum thread, the LSI chip continued into some Panasonic models as late as 2009 where it was relabelled to Magnum in some cases. The reason why I am considering a Panasonic (like ES-20 or EA-18) is a reluctant compromise because they seem more readily available and lower prices, but still have the chip.
12-25-2016, 09:43 PM
Premium Member

The MS100, has an extra filter in the machine that gives a very natural gloss look to VHS recordings, it makes them look better. It does kick the Audio / Video sync off by like 3 fields. Which you can get away with.

I have seen Toshiba machines kick them off by 7, and when people talk it looks like a Chinese Kung Fu movie.

Used the MV5 for years had 3 or 4 of them with spare drives. The JVC MV series in my opinion, is better than the Panasonic units with macro blocking. VHS & Betamax they are much better recordings.

Digital is a matter of opinion, to me it is a better image but the Panasonic is sharper. On the JVC MV5 you get slight overscan on the far right which you will not see on the TV but will notice on the computer. The bottom black bars records as a lighter shade of black, you only see this again on the computer. The Panasonic EZ27 crops the overscan, it also crops VHS tapes as a passthrough. It will cut scan lines at the bottom out. However you need to output the picture with lighter or darker black levels. Both these units have perfect audio / video sync. For video play back the Panasonic is a lot better with HDMI outputs with an up convert feature. The JVC units only ever record with. When recording I only use s-video.

The JVC DVD recorders are plagued with the "Loading Issue" , which can mean different things. Most important is to make sure they can record and finalized discs. However on memorex dvd -r, if you record the entire disc they will not finalize. Verbatim dvd-r, works best.

The MS100 if the drive is in good shape (no way of checking) is worth it and no loading issues per say. Theses are older machines and hard to find. Normally you will find some one just selling one off and it is 50 % 50 if you get a good unit. So test it out....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PanasonicEZ27.jpg (35.2 KB, 13 downloads)
File Type: jpg JVC.jpg (49.7 KB, 14 downloads)

Last edited by deter; 12-25-2016 at 10:00 PM.
12-25-2016, 09:53 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deter View Post
On the JVC MV5 you get slight overscan on the far right which you will not see on the TV but will notice on the computer.
That is, if you haven't bought or watched a new TV since 1998 and are clueless about disabling overscan. People have been dealing with SMPTE 4:3 704-pixel phenomena for years now without damaging their videos, so you might want to look into it. Let's start by getting our terminlogy up to spec. Tapes don't have overscan. TV's do.
12-25-2016, 09:57 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
Tapes don't have overscan. TV's do.
Semantics.
- The TV (HD or SD) overscans, yes.
- But the reason it overscans? The tape/signal has noise or missing data in those areas.

I've referred to that area as "the overscan" (in multiple contexts) since the late 90s. Same for many, many others. Rarely do they distinguish "overscanning" (process of TV) with "overscan area" (edges of signal, be it tapes or broadcast). It's simply "the overscan".

I've always hated "TV safe area/zone", as that's actually more confusing than "overscan".

Quote:
lighter or darker black levels.
The only DVD recorder that I've ever seen with almost perfect IRE is the Zoran chipset. Everything, even the LSI, are about -/+, but that's not horrible. Most of the Panasonic and Philips decks are like -/+10. The earliest Panasonic were like 20, and washed everything out really badly.

The JVC models also vary, even unit to unit.

The ATI Theatre 100-200 chipsets are about perfect as well. The Zoran is about as close to the ATI AIW as I'd ever seen, and it's the reason that I have the RCA Zoran-based HDD recorder for off-air.

12-26-2016, 03:20 AM
Premium Member

sanlyn.

Those pictures are from Digital recordings from HD feed to the DVD recorders, not VHS tapes. Record a bunch of video each year. Plus have tons of recorded Digital videos sent, so have witness all different types of capture machines and devices. We are getting way off topic about what this post is about. However how one converts your VHS tapes to digital is important. Everyone does it different. Lot of people just record massive AVI files to the computer than have to convert to another format. Personally feel the DVD recorder is the easiest and best way too get good mpeg2 coded video. People are buying VHS to DVD programs using USB ports and wondering why they get poorly coded video, dropped frames, audio / video sync issues, horrible macro blocking, poor bit-rates and ect. Than they use really bad VCR's as well.

5 or 6 years ago with the help of Lord Smurf, decided to record everything in FR80 mode to get the most out of a DVD-R. Lord Smurf was the expert who trained me, all of his advise for VHS was the best help. For all my VHS to DVD stuff use the LSI chip set in those DVD recorders be it the MV series or the MS100.

So if you want be of help in this post about the JVC9900, explain to people the methods you use to capture VHS recordings. I think that will help people. Cause someone buys a fully working AG1980 or a High End JVC 9000 series, now what?
12-26-2016, 11:04 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Cause someone buys a fully working AG1980 or a High End JVC 9000 series, now what?
Oh yes indeed. I have always wondered about audio drift, because once video and audio leave the VCR through independent cables, how can any level of drift be assessed or measured ? (Presumably drift is worsened by any extra devices in the chain like external TBCs or proc amps).

Deter, do you need further details from me to process the sale ?
12-26-2016, 12:07 PM
Premium Member

To order one of these VCR's send me a PM, with an email address and will send out an invoice via paypal. What I am doing right now, is once you get the VCR, test it for 14 days, if you don't like it, ship it back for a full refund, but you pay the return shipping.

About the audio video sync, that is why I wrote what I did above, cause the avg person doesn't pick up on this nor do they know how to re-sync audio streams, it is kind of a pain. The MV5 has perfect audio / video sync and same with the Panasonic EZ27.

Going through an extra device that doesn't carry audio could off sync it by a frame or two depending, I have not tested all devices have tested the same recording of broadcasts done by three different people on 3 different machines and matched up frame for frame. Have found audio video sync differences on the same broadcast.

The cables are also important, I just got a few S-video cables at Radio Shack they seem to be good for S-video. For audio just don't use cheap 50 cent cables. This is what I use, never had any issues.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image1.jpg (31.5 KB, 15 downloads)

Last edited by deter; 12-26-2016 at 12:18 PM.
12-27-2016, 06:25 AM
Site Staff | Video

- Yes, let's not hijack this thread. It's marketplace, to sell stuff.
- PM deter to buy.
- Same here, cheap s-video is often fine. Quality cables needed for composite, RCA, component.
- Audio sync is never 100% perfect, even on the tape. It's recorded separately, after all. Being off by 1-3 frames, in a hardware workflow, is not atypical, nor noticeable even to a trained eye.

Again, good VCR here, good person to deal with.

12-27-2016, 01:36 PM
Premium Member

And PM-ed ! Thanks very much.
Closed Thread