Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-15-2023, 08:27 PM
Free Member

I have an ASUS BW-12B1ST drive installed in a Windows 7 PC. It will read and write BD data discs but if I put in a BluRay video disc it doesn't even recognize the disc in the machine. I have looked over issues with this drive but it is usually the fact that it won't PLAY a disc, not that it won't recognize it. Firmware is version 1.03 to the best of my knowledge - is this a firmware or software or OS issue? The fact that it will read and write a BD-R disc makes me think it's not the laser. The discs are not UHD, they are 1080P.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-16-2023, 09:22 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
BD drives have 3 laser diodes (BD, DVD, CD).

Lasers can be fickle in how they read different surfaces, pressed vs. dye, or even between dye types. Normally, if it struggles to read ROM discs, it will completely fail at burnedor blank discs. But not always.

Most optical drives have a limited lifespan, 2-5 years. It's pretty terrible, and makes blank DVD claims of "100 years" look even more ridiculous. I've said it for 15+ years now, optical media is likely not archival, because we won't have any extant drives to read it. VCRs still work after decades, but CD/DVD/BD drives rarely make even half a decade.

I will not eliminate OS issues here, but given how screwy the drive can be, I'd want to test it on another system.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-19-2023, 04:07 PM
Free Member

Thank you, Lord Smurf, for the information. Moved the drive to a Windows 10 PC and it worked like a charm. I guess no support in Windows 7. Didn't want to upgrade that particular computer back when it was free because I had so many video programs on it that I wasn't sure would work if I upgraded and it wasn't online anyway.

Tags
bluray drive, bluray video disc