03-26-2016, 10:23 PM
Free Member

Hi all,

I'm about to stock up on some BDRs, and for the purposes of my dual backup procedure, (making identical backups on two different brands of miedia), I'm wanting to purchase some Sony BD Rs. To what I know so far about the medium, apparently the silvery (with slight blue) recording side is better quality then the chocolate brown.

So just wondering please if someone could tell me what colour the recording layer of these Sony BD Rs is?

Thanks.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-27-2016, 12:35 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
BD-R color doesn't matter anymore than CD-R color did. It's all about the quality of the media. At most, color can tell you what type of dye was used. Due to costs and lack of need of BD-R, I'm not 100% up to date at all times, as I was with CD and DVD media, so I can't rattle off the dye names off the top of my head.

BD-R media is not as testy as DVD was. It's more like matured CD media. Most discs do actually burn and read fine. I'm not sure why this is, but it's likely due to tighter specs of the format. DVD was somewhat loosey-goosey. I often joke that DVD burners would probably try to burn pancakes. As long as it was flat and round, and had a media ID, it was good to go.

The biggest issue is LTH and HTL burning ability. Lots of drives still work poorly with the cheaper LTH.

At one point, Sony BD-R was MEI (Matsushita/Panasonic) media. Sony also had their own media ID, but they don't make their own media, so the actual manufacturer is an unknown (more Panasonic?). It's sort of like when Daxon farmed out the SONYDxx DVD code.

I've also read that Sony uses MBI, but I think that's a typo -- MEI, MBI. But Sony has always used MBI in small amounts, including CD and DVD, so it's possible.

With Sony, it's hard to know what's in the spindle until you scan it.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: radio2prfm (03-27-2016)
03-27-2016, 03:21 AM
Free Member

Thanks. this will be for archiving, and again, to what I can make out, LTH is to be avoided. Apparently LTH is a technology where the discs are made on existing DVD R manufacturing equipment.

On the other hand HTL BD R manufacturing incurs a higher start up cost, due to the manufacturing equipment being completely designed for the format.

These were some of the sites I checked during my research.

Not all blu rays are created equal
http://blog.digistor.com/not-all-blu...uality-matter/

Distinguishing HTL and LTH discs
http://www.blu-raydisc.info/licensee...censeelist.php
03-27-2016, 03:26 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Just be aware that the Digistor site may not be unbiased. They sell media/drives/etc, and it's not the best rebadger.

The other site is the BD association, and official associations have never been reliable for accuracy.

Anything you read there needs to be verified from a trustworthy 3rd party (like us).

But, what have read is true: LTH on DVD equipment, HTL means higher costs.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-27-2016, 04:37 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Just be aware that the Digistor site may not be unbiased. They sell media/drives/etc, and it's not the best rebadger.

The other site is the BD association, and official associations have never been reliable for accuracy.

Anything you read there needs to be verified from a trustworthy 3rd party (like us).

But, what have read is true: LTH on DVD equipment, HTL means higher costs.
Yep, I know, information regarding discs over the internet is very mixed. Often takes reading four or five websites on a particular disc or issue to compare notes, for sorting out fact from the paranoia, barrow pushers and snake oil sellers.

I've just spent the last six days trying to sort out the facts from the fluff of M Disc, but I'll leave that one for another day.
09-04-2016, 05:05 PM
Free Member

I have a question regarding BluRay media which I think could fit in this topic, if not please let me know and I'll start a new one.
I'm looking to buy some BluRay discs in order to save some data in them, although I might use them as Video BluRays (if that makes any sense). Anyways, I'd really like them to last as much as possible, not to degrade in half a year or so.

I want to know if any of these are any good for those purposes. The first one seems to be made in Japan and the second is from Taiwan. I'd say both are HtL.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-Verbatim-...UAAOxyrrpTh2Bg

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/...u-25-gb-6x-_JM

Also, there is any difference in terms of quality if the media is printable or not?
I have recently bought a Pioneer BDR-209BDK burner. How good is it?
09-05-2016, 03:06 AM
Free Member

Panasonic disks are the best for BD-R and archival use based on their consistently good burns. This topic has been discussed many times at MyCE forums which you should have stumbled upon in your research. LTH is to be avoided.
09-05-2016, 04:50 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengork View Post
Panasonic disks are the best for BD-R and archival use based on their consistently good burns. This topic has been discussed many times at MyCE forums which you should have stumbled upon in your research. LTH is to be avoided.
In the place I live it's impossible to obtain those Panasonic BD's you're talking about, even if I bought them through internet, import taxes would meke them extremely pricey.
That's why I included those two links in my last post, because those are some of the options I got.
And so I want to know if any of those is good, and why.
09-12-2016, 07:06 PM
Free Member

I'd appreciate if someone gave me useful info regarding my question. Or point out someone who can.