Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-12-2023, 05:42 PM
Free Member

Sorry too lazy to start a new thread but anyways figured I ask everyone for their two cents on this. The JVC is still working but after checking some tapes I’m noticing some weird spots where there’s some jitters. But what’s weird about these is when the video is streaming from the VCR to my TV the color will go out of wack for a second when these jitters appear. However when I capture the video the color doesn’t fluctuate but the jitters remain. Today I tested four tapes. Some old, nome newish. Three of them I noticed this within the first 10-15 minutes, the other I watched for about a half hour and spotted nothing. Is this the built in TBC acting up, does the alignment need readjusting, is it more likely the tapes??? Hard to post examples for this because again the color fluctuation doesn’t occur during capture.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-12-2023, 05:49 PM
Free Member

Posting would still show the jittering which may explain the color problem.
02-12-2023, 07:07 PM
Free Member

Here's a clip of two sample clips joined together. The first you can see some jitter right at the start. The second the jitter is near the end and a bit of rainbowish fraying occurs as well. Part of the reason why I chose to speak out on this is cause it doesn't happen indefinitely. At best maybe every few minutes but nonetheless its caught my attention.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Dmr...usp=share_link
02-12-2023, 10:19 PM
Free Member

If you are referring to the slight frame jump up and down, That can be fixed by an external frame TBC.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
02-12-2023, 10:28 PM
Free Member

I was thinking that but what Lordsmurf informed me it sounded like I was mistaken with that.
02-13-2023, 12:08 AM
Free Member

What do you mean?

02-13-2023, 08:07 AM
Free Member

I had asked him (not in this thread) about the general differences between a built in TBC and an external TBC and mentioned that it was to my understanding that the external one could correct jitter to some degree. He said that was wrong.
02-13-2023, 10:02 AM
Free Member

No, He was referring to line TBC, Frame TBC is what addresses frame timing issues, But not all frame TBCs fix that type of frame jump, some don't even detect it since it's about 4 or 5 lines jump.

02-13-2023, 10:11 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
For starters, don't misuse the word "jitter".
- Technical/jargon "jitter" refers to wiggly video, which is what a line TBC corrects
- Slow or rapid vertical bouncing, essentially "layman jitter" (normal use of the words "jitter", not jargon), refers to video that is missing part/all of initial scan lines, and is often corrected by frame TBC. As mentioned, not all frame TBCs do this correction, mostly not-suggested models.

This is not too different from tearing, which is why VCR line TBCs can have issues.

Your PM asked questions, made assertions, not mentioned in the post. And that was a mix of correct and incorrect.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-13-2023, 11:30 AM
Free Member

Well to be fair that was partly why in my PM I said “vague nutshell” meaning not entirely correct but not entirely incorrect either. So am I assume you agree with the notion the external TBC could potentially improve this???

-- merged --

So more or less there’s nothing I can do about this or the VCR has to be looked at??? Because I’ve had this unit for a few months now and never noticed it doing this before. This is why I’m bringing this to everyone’s attention.

-- merged --

Leaning more towards probably nothing that can be done. Just watched about a half hour of a tape with the TBC turned off and noticed nothing so more than likely the issue lies with the line TBC. Hopefully the Frame TBC I’ll end up using may improve this. Probably not when it’s mentioned that most of the TBC’s that might improve it aren’t recommended anyway.
02-14-2023, 04:39 AM
Free Member

Does the vertical jitter happen at roughly the same spots each time? This vertical "jumping" is how the TBC in the JVC consumer SVHS decks reacts to some types of issues on tapes and seem to be an inherent flaw of them, so on it's own that isn't indicative of anything being wrong with it. The external TBC units can help reduce it a bit in some cases but only to a degree. For tapes with a lot of jumping something like a panasonic dvd-recorder for the TBC function might work better.

Of course if the tape path is misaligned or there are other problems with the deck, that can make things worse.

My Video gear overview/test/repair/stuff yt channel http://youtu.be/cEyfegqQ9TU
02-14-2023, 07:44 AM
Free Member

No the vertical hitter happens somewhat randomly. In fact at one point when I saw it happen I rewound the tape the play the same section and it didn’t happen. I do have a the ES10 and ES15 Panasonic DVD recorders. The reason I don’t like to use them is cause they occasionally skip frames.

-- merged --

Here’s a new problem. I get zero signal when trying to use S-Video with this unit. Tried two different cables with two different DVD recorders and no signal whatsoever. Composite works. Tested S-Video with one of the recorders with my Panasonic AG1980 just incase the cables were bad. One S-video output gave me no signal, the other did. So the problem most likely lies with the JVC. Any thoughts???
02-20-2023, 02:05 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crissrudd4554 View Post
So am I assume you agree with the notion the external TBC could potentially improve this???
It depends on the cause and severity. But frame TBC can correct this, yes.
Keyword = "can", not will.

Quote:
So more or less there’s nothing I can do about this or the VCR has to be looked at???
I don't see where that assertion was made. It could be the baked tape image, or the signal, or the VCR, or capture device.

Quote:
Because I’ve had this unit for a few months now and never noticed it doing this before. This is why I’m bringing this to everyone’s attention.
Realize that "never noticed it" means nothing. Many people overlook issues until they don't. That's just human nature. You could not notice something for months, then get irritated. The brain sometimes has a long lag, long delay, to acknowledge issues.

So, for that reason, the VCR should not be eliminated. Though as per above, nothing really zeroed in on it either, other issues are more likely.

Quote:
Leaning more towards probably nothing that can be done. Just watched about a half hour of a tape with the TBC turned off and noticed nothing so more than likely the issue lies with the line TBC. Hopefully the Frame TBC I’ll end up using may improve this. Probably not when it’s mentioned that most of the TBC’s that might improve it aren’t recommended anyway.
The line TBC inside VCR isn't 100% perfect. That's NOT a reason to not use it, but rather understand it won't work well 100% of the time. I may fail with some tapes, though it will be a tiny minority (maybe 5% at very most?). Anything more, and it is a VCR issue.

This is where external line TBC is needed, such as ES10/15, though some other devices have various qualities at times (more niche, weaker or different, interesting).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
TBC in the JVC ... an inherent flaw of them,
I don't think it's a flaw, or a limitation. But rather the tape issues fall outside of the median bounds of the device. Some errors get more fringe. Attempting to correct a fringe can knock it away from effectiveness from the median. If the TBC was adjustable, then it could probably be tweaked to address this. Or if it could be tweaked, and still failed, then maybe a flaw. But as it exists, I don't think it's fair to call it a flaw.

Quote:
The external TBC units can help reduce it a bit in some cases but only to a degree. For tapes with a lot of jumping something like a panasonic dvd-recorder for the TBC function might work better.
Of course if the tape path is misaligned or there are other problems with the deck, that can make things worse.
All correct, of course. I'd add that even ES10/15 type can fail on severe errors (including errors that don't "look that severe" but are signal-wise; visual != signal)_

Quote:
Originally Posted by crissrudd4554 View Post
I do have a the ES10 and ES15 Panasonic DVD recorders. The reason I don’t like to use them is cause they occasionally skip frames.
Yep. Posterization, luma, AGC, whole list is quality hits. It's great for net improvements. But sometimes you don't get that net gain, and just further harm the image.

Quote:
Here’s a new problem. I get zero signal when trying to use S-Video with this unit. Tried two different cables with two different DVD recorders and no signal whatsoever. Composite works. Tested S-Video with one of the recorders with my Panasonic AG1980 just incase the cables were bad. One S-video output gave me no signal, the other did. So the problem most likely lies with the JVC. Any thoughts???
To me, you seem to be rushing from one issue to another, in a panic. You need to slow down, read.

For example, that last TBC "issue" wasn't an issue at all, but rather user error, as a feature (genlock) was turned on. Genlock isn't TBC, and it can screw with the signal. The TBC is fine. However, we're now pivoting to a different TBC(ish) that you may find more useful for your situation, so the outcome of your mistake is a happy accident. So that's a win. Take it. However, others may not end happy.

You've mentioned quite a few VCRs and DVD recorders. Is that all random buys from eBay? And I'd assume hasty buys? As I've mentioned many times, eBay is a video dumping ground now. I'd used eBay since the 90s, and bought video gear into the early 10s (before my health issues). I look at eBay now, even the late 10s, and am aghast at all the crap on their. Damaged, broken, or lied about ("working" and "tested" = too often blatantly obvious nonsense). You have to be savvy about eBay, don't be a victim. And I'm telling you that even trying to be savvy there is now almost impossible. Not just video gear, but other areas like photo or hobby collecting.

So sssssllllloooowwwww down.

Be a scientist here. Diligent, process of eliminations.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-20-2023, 02:39 PM
Free Member

Wouldn't exactly say I'm "rushing" but simply trying different methods merely for curiosity's sake. Every VCR is different whether its in great shape, bad shape, good model, bad model, TBC, no TBC. Same with capture methods. Everything's gonna give different results. But when I have to remind everyone I'm not exactly the most mechanically inclined thats where my questions draw from. I'm still fairly new with this unit so part of the reason I asked about no S-Video signal and the TBC issues is simply feedback from others who may or may not have had this problem before. All around the JVC works fine. But given that I've been trying to steer away from composite in the last couple years in favor of S-video and given this is sorta my go to VCR at the moment for capturing and I already have a thread regarding issues with it it was just a natural choice to ask.

I'm sorry that I cannot fix or detect what is wrong with VCR's. If a suggestion is being made to "adjust this, adjust that" I need to be directly pointed where it is and what to do. Its not laziness, its simply lack of knowledge.