Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-01-2023, 11:39 AM
Premium Member

> if you are able to record that video on tape

tricky... How can you record SECAM on a tape, in this time and age? if you record on tape with canopus advc output, it outputs PAL/NTSC only.
Same with the few Panasonic DVD recorders I know.
Only methods I can think of will require 2 devices:
- 2 VCRs that can both do SECAM, record to PAL, then play and use the VCR's transcoder PAL>SECAM as input to the second VCR.
- ADVC/DVD recorder (PAL Out)---> [Cypress CDM] standard converter (PAL In-SECAM OUT)--->VCR (SECAM in --record the tape)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-01-2023, 11:46 AM
Free Member

Correct, not easy :-(

Let's search the right pattern inside existing SECAM tapes then. I have many, recorded from french TV when I was living in France. I can send some if needed.

A channel on S-VHS / VHS capture and AviSynth restoration https://bit.ly/3mHWbkN
05-01-2023, 12:08 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollo2 View Post
Correct, not easy :-(

Let's search the right pattern inside existing SECAM tapes then. I have many, recorded from french TV when I was living in France. I can send some if needed.
I will find some more but it may have to wait until the weekend
05-01-2023, 02:10 PM
Free Member

Also one option if available that will make it easier to see a difference is to use a capture device that handles vcr input especially poorly, like any conexant chip based capture card (Diamond VC500, Elgato video capture usb 2.0 etc). On those you tend to get a very bent image without any sort of stabilization. The ADVC boxes are a bit more robust so it takes a worse recording to make it more noticable on those.

My Video gear overview/test/repair/stuff yt channel http://youtu.be/cEyfegqQ9TU
05-01-2023, 06:54 PM
Free Member

Any digital colobar and grayscale test card should be qualified as a test material if converted to analog and recorded into the VCR, You should be able to see the vertical jitter in black and white transitions as well as chroma DNR effect in the red and blue tones.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
05-01-2023, 10:10 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Somebody needs to send me SECAM tapes that are "not bad" and "not good". Bad tapes won't help, retail/good tapes won't help.

I agree, line TBC for SECAM would have
(1) not had ROI
(2) likely overrun processing buffers

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-03-2023, 05:07 PM
Premium Member

@LS, why to you? He is the guy with the 9700ms, model about which we have doubts.

Later next month I may have time to duplicate and create some SECAM tapes. I think I may have what is needed for that. I can send some tapes here and there for whoever wants to test something about SECAM.
05-03-2023, 06:29 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbassiouny View Post
@LS, why to you?
Since I know you like anime. Slayers Next. "It's a secret!"

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-26-2023, 04:58 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Since I know you like anime. Slayers Next. "It's a secret!"
Oh, you edited your post. You didn't mention Slayers in the version I saw. I'm interested!

On a side note, I will try to duplicate/make some SECAM tapes and send them to interested testers, as soon as I get some free time (next week hopefully). I guess I should count both LS and Robinthehood in?
05-27-2023, 06:53 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbassiouny View Post
Oh, you edited your post. You didn't mention Slayers in the version I saw. I'm interested!

On a side note, I will try to duplicate/make some SECAM tapes and send them to interested testers, as soon as I get some free time (next week hopefully). I guess I should count both LS and Robinthehood in?

It was my intention to get back to this thread sooner but I got distracted by the utter chaos of my garage, I have found some other secam tapes but they mostly seem like the other one... not the 'right' sort... they are episodes of NPA with no adverts
05-29-2023, 02:13 PM
Free Member

Is this thread about SECAM or NTSC ?
06-08-2023, 05:30 PM
Premium Member

@Robinthehood, if you still can't see the difference, it is probably because there isn't. We are already 90% sure your VCR (actually all VCRs) does not have line tbc for secam even if tbc indicator light is on.

Here is a secam tape I have and a comparison between the non (line) corrected version, and the corrected version.

See the photos in the attachment + a video and observe the difference: the lines are no longer wiggling, the lines on the sides are straight and not curved, and there is no geometric distortion (the window frame is no longer curved, it is straight as supposed to be)

(the red line in the middle is just a separator I inserted, not an issue in the recording.)

If you want I can happily send you this tape (for free) if this is what will close the years-long debate about the 8700/9700MS.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Line-TBC.jpg (40.1 KB, 8 downloads)
File Type: jpg Line-TBC-focus.jpg (21.0 KB, 6 downloads)
Attached Files
File Type: mkv lineTBC correction.mkv (5.17 MB, 3 downloads)

Last edited by mbassiouny; 06-08-2023 at 05:58 PM.