Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-22-2012, 02:44 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravial View Post
this is a PAL card
In the ATI All In Wonder Radeon series, there are no "PAL" or "NTSC" cards. Only the now-useless analog tuner was PAL or NTSC. Since digital transmissions have essentially replaced all analog transmissions, discussion of the tuner is now a moot point. All ATI AIW cards capture PAL, NTSC and SECAM via s-video and composite inputs. So don't worry about PAL or NTSC, as it's not a real issue.

Quote:
Second, I have none of the wires for this as you have described, I have only the card itself, and again I want to make sure this will not cause a conflict for me 'out of the box'.
If all you have is the card, then you're missing the hardware required to be able to capture analog video. While some of those inputs may look like s-video connections, they are not. Those are indeed DIN connectors, but used for the connective hardware that you're missing. You must have the purple/domino breakout dongle. And you'll either need a 4-pin auxiliary audio cable for internal wiring, of the loopback cable for external wiring. Some of the ATI AIW cards also require a VGA/DVI bundle, otherwise you won't have anything to plug a monitor into.

You can always type in "ATI purple" or "ATI domino" at eBay.com for the first wire.
For example, a current purple auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATI-Purple-C...item1c2b5c67f4
Or a domino for $5 shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/All-in-Wonde...item27c3f516a0

The input block is easy to find, and generally cheap. It's the other wires that are a pain to locate without having to buy another card (or several cards) to acquire. I do see one loopback wire currently on auction here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATI-All-in-W...item4837dc27e2

Note: Because some of these auctions linked on this post will be gone in about 30-90 days (I forget how quickly the closed auctions cache expires), I've attached some swiped images from those auctions to this post, so that others in the future can see what these wires look like. Also note that Site Staff have photographed wires in greater detail in other threads on the site, some of which have been linked to earlier in this thread.

Quote:
Third, When I installed, I went to support.amd.com I believe, and used their auto detector to configure, which it told me to use catalyst 10.2 blah blah I installed it, then I noticed I had 'sketchy' graphics when I moved a window around etc. then I noticed I still had an unknown device in device manager. I dl'ed the wdm drivers 10.2 after that, and it seemed to fix the problem. Only 10-15 minutes later (give or take) the screen started freezing, and then appeared to reset, as it turned black for a second, and then came back and seemed fine until it repeated 30-45 seconds later. It did this a few times and rebooted itself. At this point I uninstalled it and re-installed my radeon 9550se and went back to google. And now I am here. And if you haven't laughed your arse out of your seat by now, maybe you can help inform me on my 10 year old card! .... PS: I have P4 2.26Ghz on a MS-6788 board w/ 865pe chipset with 1.5GB pc3200 and the card is AGP on WinXP SP3
This all sounds like a driver issue. Rather than using the drivers on the AMD site, use the drivers provided here. Start with the 9000-series CD ISO. See where that gets you. In most cases, it's going to install just fine. I've used it on 9000, 9200, 9600 and 9800 cards without issue.

It could also be SP3 causing problems. That service pack was disgraceful with the amount of damage it caused to Windows XP. SP2 was honestly the best version of Windows XP. All SP3 did was add faux "security" junk, to make it act more like Vista -- which is by no coincidence one of the most hated aspects of Vista (and later removed in Windows 7).

Finally, it could be cooling issues. Be sure the card isn't overheating.

Quote:
I will start by dl'ing the 180 iso you have for it, and seeing if there is a manual! I can't believe after 2 days I cant even find a manual online for this thing... it's like ATI/AMD made it so this thing never existed...
I have a printed manual in my drawer. However, it doesn't tell you anything. That's why I've never wasted the time to scan it, and upload it as a PDF. It's about 25 pages of useless crap. It says nothing about drivers, ATI MMC, etc. It's mostly diagrams of the hardware, instructions on how to plugin in cables, and other nonsense than a 5-year-old would understand without even needing to see the manual.

Having the manual would just waste your time.

Quote:
Hi! Great thread here, spent two days googling for something with information like this >_<
I'm somewhat disappointed that this isn't ranking higher in Google, if it took that long to find it. I'd be curious what terms/phrases you had been using that failed to show results. (By simply listing them here, you'll potentially help others in finding this site, because Google will then index this site as containing those phrases. Or so I'd hope.)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ati-input-block-domino.jpg (15.8 KB, 107 downloads)
File Type: jpg ati-input-block-purple.jpg (8.4 KB, 99 downloads)
File Type: jpg ati-loopback-wires.jpg (11.1 KB, 132 downloads)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-24-2012, 08:14 AM
Free Member

Thank you for replying so fast. I had actually put in a lengthy reply the night after, but the server ate it and told me 'maintenance issues'... So I will keep this more direct and to the point.

I understand what you mean by analog versus digital and how it relates to format styles (NTSC/PAL/Etc). I just found it odd for two reasons; first most problems I have found on the net through my searching was with this particular (9700) card, and second this is the only site where I have seen it with a PAL label.

It appears I only need those extra cables if I wish to capture analog video. Ultimately, I just want a nice graphics card for my old outdated XP box. I may acquire these down the road, but they do not seem critical which was a concern I had.
I will definitely try the 9000 series install cd as soon as I have the chance. My question then would be should I leave it at that or is there another update I should apply to that to keep it closer to current? I guess we can answer that after I install the original drivers first and report back!

I too have wondered about the fan on the card, and I may look into replacing it. I also have seen issues on the net relating to AGP voltage (as from PSU and MB). If I still have issues after installing the 9000 series drivers, I will look into these.

Just an FYI, the manual is on the cd, at least now I can say I found it!

The search criteria I had revolved around "AIW 9700 PRO 128M" and had other qualifiers like "drivers" "manual" "install cd" (I think that is the one that landed me here) and some others I can not recall. I had come across another thread from this site with another search prior but did not find it had the information I was looking for.

Thanks again, and I will report back when I get the time to try this again!
09-25-2012, 03:16 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
I had actually put in a lengthy reply the night after, but the server ate it and told me 'maintenance issues'...
My apologies on that. See this post: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news...html#post23077. Continue that topic there.

Quote:
Ultimately, I just want a nice graphics card for my old outdated XP box... is there another update I should apply to that to keep it closer to current?
Try the Omega drivers. I've attached them for you convenience.

For reference, the "official" site is here: http://www.omegadrivers.net/index.ph...p-2k&Itemid=65
I say "official" because these are just homebrew drivers -- not something from ATI, AMD, etc.

I would avoid the Omega drivers if you use the card for video capture. They don't play nice. The drivers were developed more for pushing the graphics, for video game and other 3D graphics usage. In that process, the video functions of the AIW cards would get screwed up some. Any time the ATI AIW card is intended for video capture, stick to the manufacturer graphics drivers.

Quote:
Just an FYI, the manual is on the cd, at least now I can say I found it!
I'm actually not certain if it's the same manual as the printed version. I vaguely remember a Windows Help version on one disc, an HTML version on another. I don't offhand recall any PDF versions. As mentioned earlier, it's mostly useless documentation.

Best of luck getting this installed as desired.

Attached Files
File Type: rar ATI Omega Drivers WinXP v48442.rar (17.81 MB, 46 downloads)

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
10-15-2012, 04:45 PM
Free Member

Well, I finally had a chance to re-visit trying to install this card, and after a little screwing around, it became obvious the fan on the card was NOT up to par. I 'installed' a 'new' fan on the card, and it is now running without problems. I suspect this was the issue all along. I did however install the drivers from the cd you provided, to gain all the software/capabilities of the card in case I ever desire them. I will look into getting a domino and internal sound card connector, my sound card has two free slots, any idea of the part number or official name of this cable so I can try to locate it maybe on e-bay? I assume, based on the connector, it is similar to a standard 4 prong connector used to connect a cd/dvd device direct to the sound card, only I notice the ones I have will not fit, they are black ends, not white, and two wide to fit into the slot. I will refrain from using the omega drivers for now until I see how it does as is, but I appreciate you sharing that in case I need it for future use. Thanks again for all your help!

-- merged --

Let me say, I had some minor issues with the factory drivers on the 9600 disc you provided with some newer games, so I tried the catalyst 10.2 'setup' the amd auto-checker told me I should be using (you download a program from AMD website which scans your system, identifies your card, and says 'you should get this' - Which is confusing because the same page lists legacy drivers and almost looks as though to state you should not go above 9.3, but it then recommends 10.2). I also experienced some minor issues with this driver set, then I noticed Microsoft Update was telling me, hey bud, we have an update for your primary and secondary device drivers you need. So I dl'ed these, and rebooted only to find I was now on 480 res with 16 colors. And it offered absolutely no other settings - Go Microsoft!

ROTFL.

So I uninstalled all of it, loaded those OMEGA drivers you listed above, and now everything is 'cherry'. I am just posting in case someone else has some of the same or similar issues, maybe they can relate to this nonsense and it helps them out. Thanks again!
04-30-2013, 01:03 PM
Free Member

Does anyone know if it´s possible to get AIW capture to work in Ubuntu?

And, is it possible to use a AIW card capture while using another card as the display card (can´t get that to work), and this is on Windows XP 32 bit.

Just got an AIW card, and haven´t had one before, so i am not to knowledgeable.
05-10-2013, 08:22 AM
Free Member

I'm confused. This contains MMC 8.8 and was found to work perfectly, but I found another post in the download section that says 8.8 is "buggy beyond belief".

I've spent weeks trying to get my ATI AIW 9600 working. I got the 7500 working with relative ease, but the 9600 (which did work fine at one time) is being very stubborn. Numerous clean reloads of Windows XP SP1, SP2, SP3; Windows XP Pro with various service packs.

Is there a "compatibility matrix" that shows the MMC and WDM versions that are compatible with one another? I've been loading the original CDs I have, but I'm starting to suspect that I've lost the one that worked because I don't remember the install being this difficult.

Thanks.

Quote:
ATTENTION! ATI MMC 7.7 and 8.7 are the two most stable versions of ATI MMC.

7.9, 8.1 and 8.5 were alright on most systems.

7.6 and below are useless for MPEG-2 for DVD. The interlace is flawed, and the quality is not there. Options are lacking too. Almost all older cards can be forced to use 7.9 at minimum, or 8.7 if hacked properly.

8.6, 8.8 and 8.9 are buggy beyond belief. I suggest you avoid these versions at all costs on ATI All In Wonder series cards. Seems to be more failure than success. It may be okay for TV Wonder series cards.

That's my "official" statement, for whatever it's worth to you.

I use 8.1 and 8.7 on my two systems, and I have zero plans to upgrade. If it's not broken, why "fix" it?

The only "value" to the 8.8/9 series was 704x480 MPEG-2 ability, which is the supposed true output resolution of the card (in addition to the half-size 352), but we'll probably have to wait for ATI MMC 9.x series to see it work properly. Other functions from 8.8/9 did not work properly (in addition to install purgatory), and the MPEG-4 capture was useless because it dropped frames (CPU overhead too high).

My rating is for 8.7 ... because that's the best one, and ATI MMC is great software ... as long as you use a good version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Attached in this post is the ATI All-In-Wonder installation CD 180-V01084-100, which came with one of the 9000-series ATI AIW Radeon AGP cards, and features ATI MMC 8.8 and the Catalyst drivers of that era. This install CD was tested with an ATI AIW 9200 and an ATI AIW 9600 cards, and found to work perfectly.

This is a multi-part RAR file containing an ISO image.
If you're not sure what to do with the attached RAR files, then read this help post.

Simply burn the ISO to a CD-R or CD-RW -- not a DVD -- using ImgBurn.
Or as an alternative method, mount the ISO as virtual CD drive, using Gizmo Drive, Magic ISO or Daemon Lite.
05-10-2013, 08:27 AM
Free Member

KPkilburn, do you have to use the AIW card to capture?
Or can you use another Graphic Card as display and AIW to capture?
05-10-2013, 08:40 AM
Free Member

I have only one AGP slot, so I have to swap cards (e.g., when I'm reloading the OS, I removed the AIW and use the original graphics card).

For reference, I'm using an older Dell 4400 system. It worked fine at one time and I've changed nothing hardware-wise since the last time the AIW 9600 worked. I also tried to install the 9600 on my Dell 8200, but it didn't work. My AIW 7500 works fine in my Dell 8200.

I don't want to assume a hardware problem because the video display part of the 9600 works with dual monitors. At one point, I got some of the WDM components installed, but never completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerowalker View Post
KPkilburn, do you have to use the AIW card to capture?
Or can you use another Graphic Card as display and AIW to capture?
05-12-2013, 11:15 PM
Site Staff / Media Consultant

@Zerowalker

- It is not possible to use the AIW card in Ubuntu/Linux.
- You can't use the AIW while using another card as the display card.
- You're in the right place to learn about the AIW card, because we have lots of downloads on the digitalFAQ site.

@KPKilburn

MMC 8.8 works fine with the cards that came with it on the CD. If 8.8 worked perfectly, why not continue with that setup? When you swap ATI cards back and forth, the drivers can become erratic. The best thing to do is when you swap out one ATI card, the ATI drivers need to be uninstalled with the removal tool. The ATI drivers need to be reinstalled when the second ATI card is installed. Windows XP SP2 is the best one to use. A compatibility matrix is not possible, because there are too many variables.

Yep.

Last edited by LCP; 05-13-2013 at 12:04 AM.
05-13-2013, 08:32 AM
Free Member

Really, you sure?
I found out about some drivers for it, that works with the 32 bit.
But as i don´t have a VGA cable currently, i can´t try it out.

It would be nice, as my Soundcard doesn´t work with XP, and i want the best audio recording possible.
Else i would have to record twice, and will probably have a bit of sync problem.
05-15-2013, 10:28 AM
Free Member

I was just going by a post on this site that said "avoid at all costs". I'm not sure 8.8 even worked.

I have the following discs:

200+ DVD 180-G01445-200
Radeon Unified Display Driver 7.83
MMC 8.1
I can't seem to get this one to load because the "standard VGA drivers" aren't loaded for my card. It gives me errors that ".inf file not found". I don't see anywhere to load the standard VGA drivers. The system automatically loads Radeon display drivers.

When I manually load the drivers, I don't see 9600 as an option, not even "9600 series". Some seem to work for display, but I get the usual WDM Error 10 and yellow question marks.

100+ DVD 180-V01043-100
MMC 7.5
I'm pretty sure this came with my AIW 7500 because it loaded and worked fine with it.

109B 180-G01103-190B
MMC 7.1
Seems that this was for older Rage 128 cards?

100+ DVD 180-V01106-100MMC 9.06.1
AIW 9600?
I believe this was a "new" CD I ordered for my 9600. I believe it worked fine at one point (despite the discussions regarding MMC 9).

This is frustrating beyond belief, especially since I had it working at one time. I've done clean reloads of Windows XP SP1 and SP2 (and even had SP3 on it at one time).

I tried the MMC from Post #4 in this thread that specifically said it was for 9600.

Nothing seems to work. I'm not one to give up easily, and I believe I have an above-average knowledge of installing programs, etc., but it seems that something is really wrong. I don't want to assume hardware failure because the card works fine for display. I just can't get the WDM working.

Any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCP View Post
@KPKilburn

MMC 8.8 works fine with the cards that came with it on the CD. If 8.8 worked perfectly, why not continue with that setup? When you swap ATI cards back and forth, the drivers can become erratic. The best thing to do is when you swap out one ATI card, the ATI drivers need to be uninstalled with the removal tool. The ATI drivers need to be reinstalled when the second ATI card is installed. Windows XP SP2 is the best one to use. A compatibility matrix is not possible, because there are too many variables.
05-15-2013, 01:28 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPKilburn View Post
I tried the MMC from Post #4 in this thread that specifically said it was for 9600.
Make that #20.
05-15-2013, 01:53 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
Added by request: ATI MMC 9.10

To my knowledge, this is the last ATI MMC compatible with the AGP Radeon cards. Latter 9.1.x were for the PCI-E cards.
Downloads for ATI MMC 9.14 and 9.16 are on page 3 of this thread, in post #48.

Again, as per earlier posts, ATI MMC 8.7, 8.8 and 9.02 are the most suggested ATI MMC versions, for most PCI and AGP cards.
For the PCI-E cards, use ATI MMC 9.16.
This version is being added purely due to requests for testing purposes.
I'm not trying to be critical, because this site has a lot of great info; however, some things are contradictory. Above, it says to go with 8.7, 8.8. and 9.02, but elsewhere it says "avoid at all costs" 8.6, 8.8, 8.9 and "use no lower than 8.7 or higher than 9.02".

I've spent weeks (if not a month now) trying to get my AIW 9600 to work, so I really would like to avoid trying things that are problematic from the start.

So, from what I gather from other threads:

MMC 7.7 and 8.8 are the most stable (though another thread says nothing lower than 8.7)
7.9, 8.1, 8.5 are OK on most systems.
7.6 and below useless for MPEG2 for DVD.
8.6, 8.8, and 8.9 - avoid at all costs (though above says 8.8 is one of the "most suggested").
05-25-2013, 02:02 AM
Free Member

Okay i have got the ATI AIW card to work, i took out my Graphic Card, and i also had to changer slot to the PCI slot that was highest up, else i wouldn't get any picture, even at bios.

But now, all seems to work, Except the audio.
Now i am not sure if the Card supports audio input, but i think so, as it got RCA input.

Can someone clarify.
10-12-2013, 08:46 PM
Free Member

Hello, does anyone have the original cd that came with the ATI all in wonder 9600 agp 2006 series? I bought one on ebay but the seller didn't have the cd, and the drivers on the amd site will not work with MMC.

Last edited by neotank; 10-12-2013 at 09:27 PM.
11-08-2013, 05:17 PM
Free Member

does anyone have the cd that came with a AIW 7500 VE? - this is the PCI slot card.
ive tried 3 sets of AGP drivers plus the 6.11 from the ATI website and it wont install right.
i think because this is the 1 oddball with a regular PCI slot i need different drivers.

my AGP board died and AM2/AGP boards are tough to find now so i picked up the 7500 PCI card
11-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
We have it here, but will need to compare it to what's already here. Years ago, the discs got mixed up.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-08-2013, 05:24 PM
Free Member

i think the disk may be 180-V01060-100
11-08-2013, 06:59 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
These are the files/drivers needed for the PCI-e card lines -- x1800 and x1900, for example (also confirmed to work on x800 card)
Will post back with more details soon.

Will answer some recent unanswered posts as well.
I really screwed my x1900 AIW installation few weeks ago for my project of building a second machine.

I am ready for round 2.

I re-installed XP SP2

Do I have to install all the rar files attached to post #48 and if yes in wich order?

Also I remember that I couldn't do the installation because of the lack of microsoft framework 2.0 wich I have to install at the first place. Strange because I don't remember doing this went you help me to build my first machine.

My Need: I want to be able to capture huffyuv with virtualdub and mpeg with ATI software.
11-09-2013, 11:03 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mejnour View Post
I really screwed my x1900 AIW installation few weeks ago for my project of building a second machine.

I am ready for round 2.

I re-installed XP SP2

Do I have to install all the rar files attached to post #48 and if yes in wich order?

Also I remember that I couldn't do the installation because of the lack of microsoft framework 2.0 wich I have to install at the first place. Strange because I don't remember doing this went you help me to build my first machine.

My Need: I want to be able to capture huffyuv with virtualdub and mpeg with ATI software.
Hi again everybody,

I read so much bads stories about AIW installation that I don't know who to believe when time come to install.

Okay I did download and unrar all the files for X1800/X1900 cards in post#48.

Unrar files
1) 6-6_encoder_33678.exe
2) 6-12_xcode_38463.exe
3) 9-14_mmc_enu.exe
4) 9-14_mmc_uci.exe
5) 9-16_mmc_enu.exe
6) 10-2_legacy_xp32-64_dd_ccc.exe
7) 10-2_legacy_xp32-64_wdm.exe

Questions

1)Which files I need to install for my need state above in the previous post and in which order?

2)During installation do I need to restart computer at specific stage? or avoid doing some newbie error?

3)Should I install Framework 2.0 first? or just if ATI wizard tell to do so?

Thanks