11-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Free Member

Hi Guys...

Apologies if this has been asked before! I tried searching but couldn't find anything....I've been following the "How to Convert PAL DVD's to NTSC" (Link) and so far it's been such a great resource to guide me through the entire process.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/vid...t-pal-ntsc.htm

I have a quick question however, I've been following it to the T and at Step 7 "Encode back to MPEG for the now-NTSC video" when I try to recreate the M2V file, the file size that is generated is a lot lower than what I started with...

Step 1 - When I extract the DVD, I end up with a 4Gb file (VOB file)
Step 2 - More extract leads to a M2V file that is 3.8Gb file size
Step 3 - Pre Edit via Womble leads to a MPG file that is 4Gb
Step 4 - Demux and extraction leads to a M2V file that is 3.8Gb sized
Step 5 - Conversion of Video leads to an AVI file that is 130Gb in size
Step 6 - Not Important
Step 7 - When I run this step, I am left with a 753Mb file

Something tells me that .. that high a reduction in file size means I'm doing something wrong.

Can anyone shed some light on it?

Thank you so much for all your help!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-27-2014, 07:36 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Indeed, something sounds off there. It appears to be the encoding settings. The guide does not show the bitrate to be used, and that's for another guide for encoding with TMPGEnc Plus 2.5. I bet a low default bitrate setting was being used.

See also http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/video/convert-tmpg.htm

This is an easy fix.

We need to update all guides on this site, but have not had the chance to do so yet.

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs