Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Edit Video, Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-26-2015, 05:58 PM
Premium Member

Lord Smurf recommended AviDemux (AD) program to cut unwanted segments from a video file, then save the edited file (like you would with a WAV sound file on Sound Forge). I downloaded AviDemux and am happy to report it works great! My captured files are in .ts format, and AviDemux allows me to save my edited file in the same .ts (or other) format. From carefully monitoring edited files, they seem to have the same high quality as the original .ts file.

The only problem I see is cutting all the way to the very last video frame. AD cuts to the frame prior to the final frame, so you see just an instant of the unwanted video. Other people are having this same problem, according to forum posts, so maybe it's just an "undocumented feature," but it's no big deal. To have all that unneeded video removed is wonderful! Means I can add more videos to a data Blu-Ray. Thanks, LS!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-27-2015, 02:39 AM
Remembered

Quote:
My captured files are in .ts format,
Short Ts I work with TsSniper .. and VideoReDo TV Suite V.5

3 days ago I received in one piece with a TechniSat Digicorder ISIO C 3 Movies [with much publicity].
Jacques Tati.....[ my avatar image]

The TsDoctor has me read all 3 films individually and signs removed cleanly.

Here's an example ... Movie 3 [original = not recoded]

Attached Files
File Type: txt J.Tati.txt (4.6 KB, 4 downloads)

Last edited by Goldwingfahrer; 12-27-2015 at 03:15 AM.
12-27-2015, 10:27 AM
Premium Member

Thanks, Goldwingfahrer. Many of my TS files are over an hour, and can range from 5 to 12 Gb or larger. If I'm reading your post and some various Googled sites correctly, the TechniSat Digicorder is a DVR, and TsDoctor is a program. I finally found the download link for it, so may have to give it a try. According to a map I found at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-T , DVB-T is used in Europe, whereas ATSC is used in the U.S., where I live, so not sure TS-Doctor will work for me, but I'll keep researching. Have a good 2016!
01-03-2016, 04:19 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
That must have been a while ago! I don't recall the advice. However, it is accurate.

Like MPEG editing/cutting, there's several ways to do it -- and most cost money. Avidemux is a free method to chop up your TS files, and works perfectly for your intended end results.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-03-2016, 09:18 AM
Premium Member

Avidemux deletes unwanted video just fine, EXCEPT for the very first and very end. Just cannot figure out how to do that. It's a known issue.
01-03-2016, 09:24 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, realize that most video programs have an issue with the start/end. It's mostly due to the audio/video discrepancy. Be it Womble or TMPGEnc, I often have to shave off one frame to make the final file behave.

You've just never experienced this before. Welcome to video. Again.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-03-2016, 03:42 PM
Premium Member

Well fortunately, it's no big deal. The very beginning of most all of my videos is a description of the upcoming program, so the having the file start with that is fine. The very end frame is after the very end of the program, so that's no big deal, either. I'm just VERY glad to have a way to chop out what I don't want and save the result, without it taking but a few minutes. I can do the same thing with TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5, but those files take HOURS to make. So, all in all, I'm VERY happy with my process now. If I could just get more time to watch them........
01-04-2016, 11:58 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kctexan View Post
I can do the same thing with TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5, but those files take HOURS to make.
TMPGenc Authoring Works expects input video to be strictly compliant for DVD, BluRay, AVCHD, etc., or other intended format. If it takes hours for your video to go through, it's a sign that your video is being re-encoded for strict format compliance. TMPGenc isn't the only authoring program that insists on strict formatting. However, the app will let you get awa y with authoring/menus for some AVCHD formatting (such as non-compliant GOPs) that otherwise aren't valid for BluRay.

My highdef and standard def .ts captures via HD PVR are smart-rendered with TMPGenc Smart Renderer or VideoReDo-HD. Never had a problem.
01-04-2016, 06:36 PM
Premium Member

Yeah, I'm sure I need to adjust my settings somehow. But since I now just burn .TS and other format files directly onto Blu-Ray discs, I get 5-6 hours of video files per disc, and at about 60¢ a disc, that's about 10¢ an hour for 1920X1080 resolution files, and I can't ask for more than that.
01-16-2016, 09:13 PM
Premium Member

Had the issue with Avidemux not deleting the final frame of a video. However!!... when I actually play the finished, edited video file, in a separate player, like VLC, the frame is gone! There's just a black frame. So, I'm very happy, because the file looks exactly like a want. Happy weekend!