Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-06-2024, 08:42 PM
Premium Member

When I set the Output PAR to 1x1 and check the box Convert output to PAR and the box says CUSTOM
The encoding won't even start.
I have had enough for one day I give up
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-06-2024, 08:46 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Try to leave at defaults. For testing, disable crop. One step at a time to troubleshoot.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-08-2024, 01:57 PM
Free Member

if ffmpeg is used to decode the source try replacing the Hybrid/64bit/ffmpeg.exe witht he attached on.

Attached Files
File Type: 7z ffmpeg.7z (22.78 MB, 0 downloads)
The following users thank Selur for this useful post: lordsmurf (02-13-2024)
02-13-2024, 12:04 PM
Premium Member

I cant remember where i found this in this as i have been crawling all over the forum.
I applied these setting to the best of my ability and I at least got the Aspect Ration proper 4by3 now
But my quesiton is do you think am i missing any settings?
Do you want screen shots?
This is wearing me out I have been working on this for days

Quote:
Converting NTSC VHS avi to mp4 with Hybrid

These are the steps I followed to convert a deinterlaced NTSC VHS avi (captured with VirtualDub) to an mp4 (x264).

- Base > Audio > 'Auto add (all)'
- Audio > Main > Audio Encoding Options. Leave defaults or set audio format (aac) & bitrate appropriately.
- Base > Select file (top right)
- Base > Video: x264
- x264 Tab:
-- Encoding Mode: Constant Rate Factor (17-22)
-- Set AVC Profile/Level based on resolution (3.1 for 480p @ 60 FPS) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanc..._Coding#Levels
- Crop/Resize Tab:
-- 1. Picture Crop: 8 off each side (704x480)
-- 2. Convert output to PAR: MP4 NTSC 4:3 (10/11). http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post81730
-- 3. Resize: 704 x 480 (May need to uncheck auto adjust)
- Filtering > (De-)interlace/telecine Tab:
-- auto deinterlacing handling > none (this assumes your footage does not need to be de-interlaced)
- Base > Set output
- Base > Click the man with the shovel to convert.
The following users thank tobylars83 for this useful post: ThumperStrauss (04-04-2024)
02-13-2024, 12:11 PM
Free Member

Quote:
-- auto deinterlacing handling > none (this assumes your footage does not need to be de-interlaced)
No, you clearly don't know what it does, so leave that option as it is.
If your source is detected as progressive Hybrid will not deinterlace.
If your source is interlaced and the output encoder is set for interlaced encoding Hybrid will not deinterlace.
If your source wrongly detected, let Hybrid know the correct scan type, by using 'Overwrite scan type to'.

Quote:
Do you want screen shot?
An unprocessed sample of the source is the only thing that makes sense. Screenshots would only make sense if you want advice using an image editor.
Quote:
But my quesiton is do you think am i missing any settings?
can't recommend anything without a sample of the source.

Cu Selur
02-13-2024, 12:20 PM
Premium Member

Selur
Thank you for entering this thread. You are correct I am very new to Virtual Dub and Hybrid. I want to learn it but I have spent soooo much time trying to sort through all the advice and cant figure out what my setting should be. I used a colleciton of screen shots of Hybrid setting provided to me buy LS but I am not getting 4:3 out put from Hybrid. At this time i have 100 VHS and VHSc tapes i have captured using VirtualDub with setting suggested to my Lord Smurf. I understand that each file can require different handling but i am struggling to grasp the basic settings of hybrid at this time. Quick background on me. I used to be one of those hobbyists that did basic capturing with inferior equipment.
I saw the light after running into problems that way. I have invested signifcant money to acquire two different TBC and two different Capture Device and two vcrs from Lord Smurf over the last year. I have also had 2 Windows 7 computer built with input from LS.
I am confident i will figure this out and grasp it but I really need help getting the basic ground work laid. My lack of familiarity with Vdub and Hybrid and the learning curve has really discouraged me but I move forward.
I will go gather the scren shots and attachments and be back with them in a bit.
once again
Thank you
t

-- merged --

HYBRID LS SETTINGS SHOTS.zip
Here are the screen shots of hybrid settings i used and I will have to upload the caps next

-- merged --

84 XMAS TEST VD FPM HYB.mp4
This is the resulting file after running through hybrid

-- merged --

84 XMAS TEST VD FPM V3.zip
Here is an abbreviated avi that i ran though Hybrid using LS settings contained in the Screenshots i share in a previous comment.
advice please?
Thank you

Attached Files
File Type: zip HYBRID LS SETTINGS SHOTS.zip (719.8 KB, 1 downloads)
File Type: mp4 84 XMAS TEST VD FPM HYB.mp4 (9.69 MB, 1 downloads)
File Type: zip 84 XMAS TEST VD FPM V3.zip (92.82 MB, 3 downloads)
02-13-2024, 02:16 PM
Free Member

All these samples are not really interessting,... a sample of your source content is needed not something already processed.
02-13-2024, 02:23 PM
Premium Member

84 XMAS TEST VD FPM V3.zip
Is the avi from my capture.
All i did was trim the length shorter and saved as avi in full processing mode.
Would you like to see the direct stream copy version?
02-13-2024, 02:26 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Would you like to see the direct stream copy version?
yes, that is the only interessting one.
02-13-2024, 02:32 PM
Premium Member

Ok I finally got it figured out. Thank you for your patience.
I have attached a before and after using the setting in hybrid that LS suggested

-- merged --

dammit i am wrong again
my fault
HERE are the correct before and after

Attached Files
File Type: avi 84 XMAS TEST VD DSC V4.avi (37.37 MB, 0 downloads)
File Type: mp4 84 XMAS TEST VD FPM HYB v4.mp4 (3.68 MB, 1 downloads)
File Type: avi 84 XMAS TEST VD DSC V4.avi (37.37 MB, 1 downloads)
File Type: mp4 84 XMAS TEST VD DSC HYB v4.mp4 (3.68 MB, 1 downloads)
02-13-2024, 10:47 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobylars83 View Post
Ok I finally got it figured out. Thank you for your patience.
-- merged --
dammit i am wrong again
< breath in, breath out >

Remember to have patience with yourself.

Not everything comes easily/naturally to everybody immediately, and I'm no exception. You're simply discussing something with me that I know extremely well, as is selur (obviously, being the dev of the software being discussed).

So
- patience with us ... check.
- patience with yourself ... something to work on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selur View Post
No, you clearly don't know what it does, so leave that option as it is.
If your source is detected as progressive Hybrid will not deinterlace.
If your source is interlaced and the output encoder is set for interlaced encoding Hybrid will not deinterlace.
If your source wrongly detected, let Hybrid know the correct scan type, by using 'Overwrite scan type to'.
The source here is TFF and interlaced. It needs to be deinterlaced from the 59.94i (29.97fps interlaced) to 59.94p, using QTGMC.

NOTE: He will likely eventually run into situations where 59.94p makes the video worse, jittering due to on-screen counters. And in that cases 29.97p will be required. But one step a time.

Quote:
I am confident i will figure this out and grasp it
You will.

I won't interrupt here too much. Still busy here (which you want), and then selur is gratiously helping.

Thanks selur!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-19-2024, 12:54 PM
Free Member

I also had problems getting 4:3 output when I started using Hybrid. What finally worked was ignoring all the PAR/DAR settings and just using the picture crop function to take 720x480 down to 704x480. Hopefully you've got it figured it by now though.

Also worth noting I mask off overscan and noise in Vdub before the final render in Hybrid
02-19-2024, 02:36 PM
Premium Member

Please forgive me Selur I do not know what this means.

Quote:
if ffmpeg is used to decode the source try replacing the Hybrid/64bit/ffmpeg.exe witht he attached on.
Sorry but I do not know what you mean by this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlockmaster View Post
I also had problems getting 4:3 output when I started using Hybrid. What finally worked was ignoring all the PAR/DAR settings and just using the picture crop function to take 720x480 down to 704x480. Hopefully you've got it figured it by now though.

Also worth noting I mask off overscan and noise in Vdub before the final render in Hybrid
Thanks but no I don't have this figured out yet. More confused now than before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
< breath in, breath out >
Remember to have patience with yourself.
Not everything comes easily/naturally to everybody immediately, and I'm no exception. You're simply discussing something with me that I know extremely well, as is selur (obviously, being the dev of the software being discussed).
So
- patience with us ... check.
- patience with yourself ... something to work on.
The source here is TFF and interlaced. It needs to be deinterlaced from the 59.94i (29.97fps interlaced) to 59.94p, using QTGMC.
NOTE: He will likely eventually run into situations where 59.94p makes the video worse, jittering due to on-screen counters. And in that cases 29.97p will be required. But one step a time.
You will.
I won't interrupt here too much. Still busy here (which you want), and then selur is gratiously helping.

Thanks selur!
I had patience months ago when I started this project. My customer is losing his patience at the length of time this is taking me while I search for help and answers. I have paid and would pay someone to help me finish this project and then I am taking several months off and work on my own projects at my pace when I am not on a deadline. I am seriously considering just giving up on ever figuring this out. I am not stupid I have figure out technical projects before but the time that this has taken is wearing on me.
02-21-2024, 08:29 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlockmaster View Post

Schlockmaster would you be willing to provide me more details and or screenshots of your setting and process please?
02-21-2024, 08:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
yes, that is the only interessting one.
Selur I have attached a short sample of a vhs tape capture into AVI using reccomended settings in Virtual Dub. I have not modified or edited it in any way.

Please tell me what I need to do in Hybrid to get a 4 by 3 output that is acceptable.

Please and Thank you!

Attached Files
File Type: avi SELUR TEST CAPTURE.avi (90.53 MB, 6 downloads)
02-21-2024, 10:25 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Schlockmaster would you be willing to provide me more details and or screenshots of your setting and process please?
Disregard my last comment. I was in the process of taking screenshots and writing a detailed explanation when I realized 704x480 isn't even 4:3. My end resolution is normally 1440x1080 for Youtube, so the process probably isn't the same as what you're aiming for. My apologies. I would delete my previous post but can't for some reason. Hopefully someone who actually knows what they're talking about can help you. Good luck.
02-22-2024, 08:32 AM
Free Member

Small warning: Hybrid is meant for folks who know what they are doing and isn't really meant as a click&pray solution.
Had a quick look at it.
  • main problem is the overexposure, but there is not really anything you can do about it (aside from recapturing, assuming the original footage is fine)
  • the video is interlaced but has no flags, so one should enable 'Filtering->(De-)Interlace->Telecine->Deinterlace/Telecine Settings->Overwrite input scan type to' and set it to 'top field first'. Also enabling 'Bob' in the 'QTGMC Vapoursynth' settings will result in 59.94fps output.
  • looking at the source I also suspect the input PAR which is signaled as 1:1 should be 889:1000, to let Hybrid know this one can set 'Crop/Resize->Base->Pixel aspect Ration (PAR)->Input PAR' to '880x1000'
  • to get rid of small glitches (frame 566 when bobbed) one can enable 'Filtering->Vapoursynth->Artifacts->Spotless' and increase the 'Temporal radius' slightly. Note that usually 3 is the max one should probably use on normal content and you want to keep this as low as possible. see: https://imgsli.com/MjQxNzAx this will also remove some noise.
  • To lessen the amount of dark halos I would additionally enable 'Filtering->Vapoursynth->DeHalo->DeHalo_alpha' and set the bright strength to zero. see: https://imgsli.com/MjQxNzA4 (notice that this is a rather destructive operation)
  • Since you wanted to upload 1440x1080 content which should have a 4:3 MPEG-4 PAR, you would, now
    • let Hybrid know that the output should be MP4 NTSC 4:3 (10/11), by enabling 'Crop/Resize->Base->Pixel aspect Ration (PAR)->Convert output to PAR' and set it to 'MP4 NTSC (10/11)'
    • set 'Crop/Resize->Base->Picture Resize->Target resolution->Width' to '1440'
    • enable 'Crop/Resize->Base->Letterbox' an set 'Crop/Resize->Base->Letterbox->Height' to '1080'
    • you probably also want to get rid of the original black bars by enabling 'Crop/Resize->Base->Picture Crop' and in this case use left=12, top=0, right=14 and bottom=2 (or bottom 4)
  • Depending on what you like you now should think about additional denoising/degrain/deblocking. For which, if you have a newer NVIDIA gpu, you could use some machine learning based filters and/or more classic approaches.
    see: https://imgsli.com/MjQxNzEx
    Depending on the material changing filter orders applying filters only on some areas of the picture (i.e. only light or dark or static areas,..) can make a huge difference and often conventional filtering is the better choice than trying some machine based stuff.
Additionally you might want to think about general color grading.
All that said, the main issue I see with this source is the overexposure, so if the capture process can be enhanced that would be my first suggestion. Over or underexposed content simply lacks details on which filters can work on.

Cu Selur

Ps.: just noticed theres a bug in the filter view when crop is used, since crop is then only applied to the filtered view, but it should be applied to both, to keep aspect ratios in the preview correct. (will probably release a new fixed version tomorrow)

Last edited by Selur; 02-22-2024 at 08:52 AM.
The following users thank Selur for this useful post: ThumperStrauss (04-04-2024)
02-22-2024, 11:03 AM
Free Member

"the video is interlaced but has no flags, so one should enable "
it is flagged 'interlaced', but has not scan order flag.
02-22-2024, 01:27 PM
Premium Member

Thank you Selur.
I will study this and attempt it.
It is my goal to learn Hybrid and become proficient with it.
Todd
02-22-2024, 01:30 PM
Premium Member

I was not the person wanting 1440x1080.