Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-13-2024, 07:39 PM
Free Member

I'm getting to more of the processing stage of my capture process. I know for capture that XP is often ideal, but when it comes to processing videos with AviSynth or Hybrid (mainly for QTGMC deinterlacing), what windows operating system gives the best performance in terms of video processing speed/deinterlacing?

My current machine I am choosing an OS for is a Dell OptiPlex 7010 with a Quad Core i7 3rd Gen 3.2GHz and I have Windows XP 32bit running on it right now. Currently it just is using onboard/integrated HD4000 graphics without a separate graphics card.

It has 8GB of ram installed, but I believe that can be upgrade all the way to 64GB.

So question is whether that is a decent machine for QTGMC deinterlacing and whether say windows 7 64bit would give a significant processing time boost to Avisynth/rendering over 32 bit XP. I know XP can only see something like 3.5GB of ram, but I'm also not sure how much of a factor RAM or a dedicated graphics card are when it comes to using Avisynth.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-15-2024, 02:09 AM
Free Member

Using 64bit Avisynth will give some speed increase, as will switching to 64bit Vapoursynth.
side note: Hybrid stopped supporting Windows 7 for quite a while
In general: The more threads are used and the higher the resolution, the more RAM you need.
Just using QTGMC on SD and HD content, 8 GB is fine.
03-15-2024, 01:07 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selur View Post
Using 64bit Avisynth will give some speed increase, as will switching to 64bit Vapoursynth.
side note: Hybrid stopped supporting Windows 7 for quite a while
In general: The more threads are used and the higher the resolution, the more RAM you need.
Just using QTGMC on SD and HD content, 8 GB is fine.
I am wondering about this as well. I would like to utilize my main PC for editing. Windows 11 seems to have abandoned AVI entirely. What programme with a GUI would you recommend using Avisynth with? Thanks
03-15-2024, 01:12 PM
Free Member

Personally, I use Hybrid (but I'm obviously biased), but avspmod is probably easier for editing scripts on your own.
03-15-2024, 01:16 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Personally, I use Hybrid (but I'm obviously biased), but avspmod is probably easier for editing scripts on your own.
Thanks for the fast response and your awesome software! What OS do you use personally when using hybrid?
03-15-2024, 01:20 PM
Free Member

I use Windows 11 and mainly develop Hybrid on Windows 11.
03-15-2024, 01:25 PM
Free Member

Quote:
I use Windows 11 and mainly develop Hybrid on Windows 11.
Ahh ok it must be my setup that doesn't like windows 11. I'm capturing with a USB 2.0N on XP. All my AVI files will not play properly on windows 11. I was made aware the card would only work with XP but thought that was the capture side.
03-15-2024, 01:57 PM
Free Member

Quote:
All my AVI files will not play properly on windows 11. I was made aware the card would only work with XP but thought that was the capture side.
That sounds more like you are lacking a decoder for your file.
Got no problem here playing avi files.
Depending on the format you use, using a player like MPC-HC or VLC might work, even if the system has no decoders, since they come with their own decoders.

Cu Selur
03-15-2024, 02:03 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Personally, I use Hybrid (but I'm obviously biased),

Quote:
^ This.

What are you capturing to? You should be using Huffyuv -- and not MT, 64, hacked CCE, etc. Just plain/official Huffyuv.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-15-2024, 02:03 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Got no problem here playing avi files.
Depending on the format you use, using a player like MPC-HC or VLC might work, even if the system has no decoders, since they come with their own decoders.

Cu Selur
VLC gives a broken or missing index warning and then usually only play a few seconds. MPC will not give a warning and play the same. I have installed codecs but still have the same issue. I'm going to install windows 7 this evening to see how that plays out. I get the same errors with or without multi segment capture enabled. If I try to edit files it will only edit the portion the players allow me to play.

Thanks for your time
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
What are you capturing to? You should be using Huffyuv -- and not MT, 64, hacked CCE, etc. Just plain/official Huffyuv.
Thanks. I'm capturing with lagarith. I'll change to Huffyuv.
03-15-2024, 02:25 PM
Free Member

Lagarith plays fine here on Windows 11 (in MPC-HC), do the attached samples play fine for you?

Cu Selur

Attached Files
File Type: avi lagarith_rgb.avi (18.20 MB, 1 downloads)
File Type: avi Lagarith_4k.avi (73.92 MB, 1 downloads)
File Type: avi lagarith_yv12.avi (25.27 MB, 0 downloads)
03-15-2024, 03:07 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Lagarith has a known byte error that was never fixed.

See this: https://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/vid...-lagarith.html

I rarely see it, but some folks have had worse luck in the past. Most just swapped back to Huffyuv, since Lagarith was just a fork of Huffyuv anyway. The Lagarith fork has more compression, but at cost of more CPU use. And some colorspace wants (not really needs).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-15-2024, 08:44 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Lagarith plays fine here on Windows 11 (in MPC-HC), do the attached samples play fine for you?

Cu Selur
Yes, these files play fine. I wonder why mine don't, I downloaded the codecs from the official site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post

^ This.

Thank you very much. I tried Huffyuv with the same results before Lagarith a few weeks back. My wrongdoing is I was using the multi-thread variant and another modded version I downloaded here. I have switched to official now which is working out of the box. Great stuff!