Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Loss of color is not a bitrate issue, that must be fixed in a proc amp (or with color filters in software) -- proc amp is easiest.

Your tape might only have audio recorded on one channel. It's not uncommon, especially on homemade tapes from cheap consumer VCRs. Do you have any retail VHS tapes that are guaranteed to be stereo, in order to test the VCR?

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Free Member

How do I fix it with proc amp, and what is a proc amp? I've never heard of that before, is it in my capture program (WIN TV2000)? When I'm watching it as it captures, it looks great, and it doesnt need any adjustment as it's capturing because it looks really good, it's just as crisp and sharp as normal, but once the DVD is burned, that's when I notice the drop in color and sharpness somewhat...

Honestly, I don't know about the vhs tapes in stereo...a lot of of my videos are master copies, so I'd assume they would be in stereo? Then a lot are dubs...
I just watched some of the video I just captured that only had sound on 1 computer speaker, and on my tv the sound comes out of both speakers...so it sounds like it is a problem with either my capturing VCR (Panasonic AG-1980) or the speakers on my computer? But, if its with the computer speakers, wouldn't it still burn normally and have sound on both speakers?

What should I do now for both the color and this new sound problem?
05-18-2009, 03:59 PM

Proc amp = piece of hardware that changes colors on video. The color problems you see are probably on your television. See how it looks on another one.

Some channels broadcast in mono, some VCRs only record mono, some wires can be bad (either now during playback, or when recorded). It could be the tv, the DVD player, the speakers, the capture card, the computer soundcard -- you really have too many variables. You have to do a process of elimination on your end. Start with the VCR playing the tape to the tv, see how that goes.

If that works, it's not the VCR or the tv.

05-18-2009, 05:05 PM
Free Member

Based off what I've described, what do you think the most likely problem could be?

Where do I get this Proc Amp from, are they expensive?
05-18-2009, 08:56 PM

I have no idea -- too many variables right now.

Proc amps can range from $50 for older used ones (and a lucky selling price), to $500+ for a professional one in excellent or like-new condition. But I don't think that's your issue -- I think your viewing issues are related to the tv or the DVD players, try another.

05-19-2009, 12:02 AM
Free Member

Well, I just hooked the capturing VCR up to the TV, and the same video played out of both speakers on the TV (it only played out of one on the computer)

I guess I should switch my efforts to the capture card and sound card? I don't have another one of either, so is there anyway that I can test them?

Do you think the speakers can be ruled out? If it was the speakers, wouldnt it still capture just fine?
I dont think it'd be the DVD player, because the sound shows up on only one speaker during both the capture, and playback of the burned DVD, so Im guessing that can rule out the DVD player also.
05-19-2009, 12:32 AM
Free Member

I notice in my capture program, there's several settings for audio. In the "Audio Mixer Inputs" which is the only option I can change, there is several choices. The default selected one is WinTV Wave, but the other choices are
Volume Control
Wave
SW Synth

Aux
Video
CD Player
Line In
Microphone
Phone Line
PC Speaker

Should I made change the setting from WinTV Wave to one of those? Or should I assume the problem is the capture card or sound card?
05-19-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
default selected one is WinTV Wave, but the other choices are
Volume Control
Wave
SW Synth
Aux
Video
CD Player
Line In
Microphone
Phone Line
PC Speaker
Is the BALANCE on any of these accidentally set to only one channel, where the bar is far to the left or right? See the image below, where my balance is set to the middle, thereby coming from both speakers.

audio-balance.gif

05-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Free Member

Well, I went to Control Panel, then Sounds & Audio devices, I didn't have the exact same choices there that you have, a few them, and I added the PC Speaker choice, that was previously muted, so I unmuted it and moved the volume bar to the top, but that didn't help. I played the video and the sound was only coming out the right speaker still, but the choices that we both have were the same...
05-19-2009, 11:52 AM

You won't have what I have -- don't try to match that, or worry about it. Only worry about the one BALANCE of your Master, the WAV and the WinTV one. Are they all centered? If yes, than that's not the problem, move on to the next one. Unused audio inputs/outputs should be muted -- otherwise it can add hiss/buzz noise to your captures.

I think it could be something as easy as the wires between the VCR and computer.

05-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Free Member

Yeah, all the volume controls that I could find were all centered.
Do you think I should get new wires? I reconnected everything as firmly as I could last night, and still having the same problem.
Can I rule out the speakers also? If sound isnt coming thru one 1 speaker, would it be that way on the burned DVD too as it's doing for me?
05-19-2009, 02:44 PM

If the final DVD is single-channel audio, then I would say it is safe to eliminated the computer speakers, too.

Replacing the various AUDIO wires may be needed.

What wires do you have?

05-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Free Member

What exactly does single-channel audio mean? Just that the sound comes out of one TV speaker?

I have a kind of wire that Smurf suggested that I get last year when I got the WinTV 2000 on his recommendation. It's a audio wire that has red and blue cords that plug into the red and yellow audio on the back of the VCR, and the other end of the cord is just a single plug that plugs into the WinTV card's audio spot which is just 1 single hole..it doesnt have the red and yellow audio plugs on it..
05-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Free Member

It came from Radio Shack, but I can't remember the exact name of it.
05-19-2009, 06:21 PM
Free Member

I went to Office Max to see what I could find, and the guy was telling me about this box where you hook up the VCR with the yellow, red and white cords to that, then hook that to the computer. My WinTV card doesn't have the red and white audio cords, that's why I had to buy a special cord for that as I talked about in my above post.
I was just messing around with it, and I plugged the blue cord in (it only goes in the white spot) and no sound came on, the sound only came in once I plugged the red cord in. Does that mean that the cord could be bad?
05-19-2009, 11:50 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
The guy at Officemax is a moron -- he wanted to sell you another capture card, probably some inferior piece of crap (after all, that's all Officemax really sells for video input cards). Ignore salesmen, they know less than you do.

I have a Hauppauge PVR-150 that I recently acquired, for the purpose of testing. It came with the cable shown below. Mine works fine, and audio comes in from both inputs, recording stereo to the captured file.

hauppauge-audio-wire.jpg

Perhaps your wire is defective, or perhaps it's not actually a stereo wire? Note the notches at the end of the wire. In my above image, you can see two black notches on the silver mini jack, meaning it carries stereo. Does yours have more or less? If so, it could be a mono cable, or some sort of data cable.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-20-2009, 12:47 AM
Free Member

Yes it has 2 black notches, but its a gold tip, which I know is alright.
What exactly is this wire called again? I guess I'll buy another and try that...do you think that could be the problem?
05-20-2009, 01:09 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Well, the one end is called a "2.5mm stereo mini jack" and the other end is often referred to as "RCA stereo audio (red/white)".

You can find these at a number of audio/video stores, or stores that carry a lot of audio/video equipment. Radio Shack is most common, but sometimes stores like Walmart, Target -- even Lowe's -- carry various home a/v cables and adapters. Never looked for this exact wire at those places, however. Fry's Electronics, Microcenter, and TigerDirect stores -- maybe even some large pro photo stores like B&H -- would also be good, if they're in your area.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-20-2009, 02:27 AM
Free Member

I don't have any of those big electronic stores around here, Office Max, Radio Shack, Wal Mart and Lowe's is about it. I'll buy one tomorrow.
If this doesnt work, do you think it's likely the sound card or the WinTv?
05-20-2009, 02:36 AM
Free Member

I wonder if because the one end of my cord is red and blue, and not red and white, if that could be what the problem is?
I remember I asked the guy at Radio Shack when I bought it if that would be a problem because it was red and blue, and he said it'd work just the same as the red and white one..It just hit me that could be the problem because when I tested earlier, and only had the blue one plugged in, no sound came out of it all, the sound only came when I plugged the red one in.
Could that maybe be the problem? I have it narrowed down to that, the sound card, or the WinTV. I hope it's just the wire.