Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Get another wire, and let's see. I have a weird red/blue wire myself somewhere -- and it doesn't work for audio with me either. In fact, I think I trashed it a couple of months ago, when weeding through excess wires and parts.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-20-2009, 07:37 PM
Free Member

I got the new wire, like the kind Smurf posted a picture of, and that didn't work either.
05-20-2009, 08:02 PM

Make a short 2-3 minute test capture. Drop the file into Goldwave, and see if it brings up two audio channels.

I'm running out of ideas.

05-20-2009, 08:30 PM
Free Member

The cord that I bought is called Stereo "Y" adapter 24k Gold. Does that sound like the right one? It was the only one I could find at Wal-Mart that seemed to do this.
05-20-2009, 08:36 PM

Could be -- doesn't seem to be listed on Walmart.com

05-20-2009, 08:53 PM
Free Member

Well...I did the test capture. Ive never used Goldwave..so I kinda guessed at what I was doing. I hit the play button in the control window, and underneath to the right is a little colored box that says L and R under it, which I assume means left and right speaker...the R bar moved up and down, but the L had no bar at all..
05-20-2009, 08:56 PM

The card is only capturing one channel of audio for some reason. I don't know why.

All I can do is suggest copying the good channel over the bad one, in SoundForge. Double click on good channel in SF, copy. Double click on blank channel, paste. Not the best solution, but it won't matter if your recordings are really mono (dual mono) anyway, as many tv broadcasts are.

05-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Free Member

Do you think it points to a problem with the WinTv 32 card?
05-20-2009, 09:50 PM

Your guess is as good as mine.

05-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Free Member

I have no guess..this is totally new to me lol..do you think we can eliminate the wire being the problem?
05-20-2009, 10:48 PM

Possible, yeah. I'm at a loss. No further suggestions from me. Somebody that has an intimate knowledge of Hauppauge cards may be needed. I've sent some e-mails to colleagues, but I don't know if I'll get an answer.

For all I know, this is a common and easy issue -- I've just not come across it before, ever. I did some Google searching, and wasn't able to find anything.

The card may, unfortunately, be defective. But I don't really know. Now might be a good time for you to search, read and/or join the SHSPVR site, which specializes on these cards. http://www.shspvr.com/smf/

Not sure what other advice I can give here.

05-20-2009, 11:05 PM
Free Member

Yeah I've done some searches also, and I can't find anything either. Thanks a lot for your help and suggestions, I don't know where to go from here, it's getting frustrating how I keep getting problem after problem after problem lol
05-29-2009, 02:02 AM
Free Member

Flesher-Munson based hiss cut filters, or the basic hiss cut filters. Hiss Cut 2 and Hiss Cut 6 are the ones I'd look at most.

You told me to use these in SoundForge...can you kinda give me some instructions on how to use them..and what results I should get..so I know what to look for when I attempt this..are these the only 2 i should use?
05-29-2009, 03:48 PM

There isn't much I can say for instructions. You open the audio file, you go to the filter, and then you can preview what it would sound like using the preview button. If it makes the hiss go away some and sounds better, then click OK to filter the file. Save the audio to a new WAV file when done. Reading the guide on this site, maybe reading the SoundForge help file, is the most I can suggest if you need more help.

As to which filter you need to use -- let your ears guide you. Preview and listen, hear how each different filter alters the audio. There's nothing to see.

06-03-2009, 12:16 AM
Free Member

I just made my first dvd with my new capture card..and theres volume out of both speakers at the start of the vid and then haklfway thru, the sound went out in the right speaker this time (it was the left on the old card) and it stayed off the rest of the video .....is this normal? why would it do this?
06-03-2009, 02:58 AM

There is a problem either
(1) on the tape
(2) in the VCR
(3) in the capture card
(4) in the computer audio card

My first guess is it's a tape problem. If you're convinced otherwise, then I don't have a guess. We've really come full circle in testing and guessing, and the problem persists. Is this the same tape that played fine in another VCR all the way through (not FF to the spot and listen, but play the whole tape as if it were captured, start to end)?

06-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Free Member

It's a different video and I just played it on the capturing VCR to my computer and there is sound coming only out the left speaker..not the right speaker..(on the old capture card the sound was coming out of the right speaker and not the left speaker)
06-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Free Member

I just played the video on my regular TV, and sound is coming out of both speakers on that..so I guess that eliminates the video as being the problem? I just thought it's really weird that the video starts off for like 30-45 min with sound out of both, then for like the last 1.5 hrs or so, sound only comes out of the left speaker and not the right...thats also how it is on the burned DVD..
06-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Free Member

Update.....I just made another DVD, and there sound from both speakers from the start to the end of the DVD.
So, now I'm really confused. It would be easy to say the last video that I made the last few posts about was the problem, but why would the video play on my tv with sound from both speakers from start to end of the video.......but when i captured it and made the dvd there was only sound for a few minutes at the start, and then the rest of the video only had sound from the left speaker.....that totally makes no sense to me at all...
So I assume since the DVD that I just made had sound in both speakers from start to end that we can rule out the VCR and capture card?
06-04-2009, 08:53 AM

Maybe one of the wires is glitchy or somehow bad? Or the VCR or capture card input connectors could have issues. See what happens when you rattle the wires around while it captures.

Long ago, I had a television that was touchy on the inputs.