Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-07-2024, 04:58 AM
Premium Member

And there's nothing in the quotes at all?

Or perhaps that is an artifact of the forum, or the browser when it is displaying the JavaScript source. There should be HTML tags inside the quotes and they may be getting parsed and hidden.

Maybe when the launch.js file loads do a right click and view source on that page? I'm worried the browser is monkeying with the script.

If there is nothing then I think the software on the TBS-800 is damaged in some way.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-07-2024, 10:30 AM
Free Member

I tried the other TBS800, same thing:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-02-07 082910.jpg (16.1 KB, 3 downloads)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-02-07 082925.jpg (89.1 KB, 4 downloads)
02-07-2024, 11:23 AM
Free Member

I've been in another tech forum and they suggested to use K-Meleon browser, first I got a blocked Java script message, then went to Java setting and allowed the URL and lo and behold the page came to life, I just have to work on the scaling, the page looks very condensed:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-02-07 091202.jpg (88.9 KB, 15 downloads)
02-07-2024, 12:16 PM
Free Member

Not so fast... I don't think the interface is communicating with the device, I can make changes but they don't take effect and when I move a slider of a parameter and hit reset it won't go back to its default position, So I don't think it's fully functional yet. Any idea?

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
02-07-2024, 12:27 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Old IE from same era as the device. May require old computer, or may require alternative browser that acts like IE and still runs modern. I know there were some, but not used a multi-IE software in years.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-07-2024, 12:36 PM
Free Member

The trouble with that is old computers don't have USB 3 to capture raw SDI, That's why I'm trying to run this on the same computer.

02-07-2024, 01:02 PM
Free Member

By zooming in the page I could see the status indicator is lit red, which means the device is not connected, According to the manual it should be green.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-02-07 110006.jpg (78.6 KB, 13 downloads)
02-07-2024, 01:02 PM
Site Staff | Video

Well, no, you can get an XP system, running IE, with USB3. But it's not anything on-hand, it must be custom built.

02-07-2024, 02:55 PM
Premium Member

Some good progress while I’ve been sleeping.

The second screenshot from post #22 tells us it wants Java 1.5, also known as Java SE 5. Do you know what version of Java you installed? And what version of K-meleon do you have?

Doing a bit of looking around I also found CheerpJ Applet Runner which is a Chrome extension that lets you run Java applets in the browser without using Java at all. Whether it can target something this old I’m not sure, but probably worth a try.

I suspect the best way to get this to work is to use contemporary software, but we may be able to get there by using virtualisation and running an old version of Windows with an old IE and old Java in a virtual machine. Do you have any experience using VirtualBox or any other virtualisation software?

I can experiment a bit more if you can get me the Java applet source and attach it here. It should be at http://192.168.0.100/00013de8.jar Hopefully the browser will just prompt you to save the file, but maybe you will see a whole lot of jibberish an a page and then can save that. A jar file is actually a zip file so it may unzip it when it downloads. You can just zip it up again to attach.

And if you can save the view source of launch.js as in the second screenshot of post #22 that will save me typing it all back in.

Last edited by gunzel; 02-07-2024 at 03:20 PM. Reason: More info about getting jar file
02-08-2024, 02:42 AM
Free Member

I think I have Java 8.

I'm running the latest version of K-Meleon I believe it's 76.5.1 on Goanna 3.6.0 (Build 20240203).

The Chrome plugin you linked did not work unfortunately, just a white page with the banner on top.

Attached is the file I saved by accessing the IP address you linked, had to zip it again for the forum to accept it, The original zip format is not accepted, so you may have to unzip it twice. Had to change the IP address because for some reason TBS800 decided to change its current IP address. and here is the text:

Code:
document.write(''); document.write(' '); document.write(' '); document.write(' '); document.write(' '); document.write(' '); document.write(' '); document.write(' '); document.write(' '); document.write(' '); document.write(' '); document.write(' '); document.write(' '); document.write(' '); document.write(' '); document.write('');

Attached Files
File Type: zip 00013de8.zip (73.4 KB, 1 downloads)
02-08-2024, 03:14 AM
Free Member

I take that back, I have Java 1.8.0.

02-08-2024, 04:42 AM
Premium Member

Stupid Java versioning. 1.8 and 8 are the same. When they went to 1.5 they rebranded to Java 5 SE to "better reflect the maturity of Java" or some rubbish like that.

That jar file has come through OK. But if there is any chance of zipping up the launch.js file and attaching that it would be great, seems the forum is eating the html tags to protect itself in case they are nefarious.

It will probably take me a day or two to get things set up and see if I can suggest a good next step. Pity that the Chrome extension didn't work but seemed worth a try.
02-08-2024, 04:57 AM
Free Member

You mean the page source?

Attached Files
File Type: zip Launch_js.zip (701 Bytes, 1 downloads)
02-08-2024, 01:00 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunzel View Post
seems the forum is eating the html tags to protect itself in case they are nefarious.
Correct. Put it inside code tags.

Code:
OMG! EVIL HTML CODE!
HTML Code:
OMG! EVIL HTML CODE!

02-08-2024, 01:58 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
You mean the page source?
Perfect, that came through OK.
02-08-2024, 08:51 PM
Premium Member

I had more of a play. Despite the "launch.js" script writing in html tags that request Java 1.5 (5) the actual complied class files in the jar file are all targeting Java 1.6 (6).

I'm hoping that using a contemporary browser and OS along with the Java 6 Runtime might be enough to get it to work.

I was able to get a virtual machine running Windows XP 32 bit, IE 6 and Java Runtime Environment 6 to then load and execute the jar successfully, but beyond visually looking a bit better than yours in K-Meleon (everything lines up) it's the same with the red dot as in my case there is no TBS-800 to talk to. Whether it will work with a TBS-800 I'm not sure.

I will have a look at some packet traces and see what it is trying to do on the network once the Java app is loaded and running. But for now I have included the instructions to get the VM up and running.

Let me know if anything is unclear or you have questions.

------

Java 6 SE on Windows XP

Download VirtualBox:
https://www.virtualbox.org

Warning: don’t do this on a company computer as the licensing for commercial use is onerous and Oracle apparently scan or phone home looking for infractions.

Once it’s downloaded install it, the defaults are fine.

You may get an error about needing the “Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable” before you can install VirtualBox. You can get the installer from Microsoft here:
https://aka.ms/vs/17/release/vc_redist.x64.exe
And read more about what this is here:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/cp...?view=msvc-170

Then download a Windows XP virtual machine, this one on the Internet Archive is one Microsoft used to distribute for developers to test with:

https://archive.org/details/ie6.xp.virtualbox

Once it is downloaded extract it, you should have a file called “IE6 - WinXP.ova”.

Also download the Java SE Runtime Environment 6 Windows 32 bit installer from https://archive.org/details/java-se-...windows-32-bit Put the file into a folder with nothing else in it, we will share this folder into the VM later to do the install.

Run VirtualBox, then “File > Import Appliance” select the “IE6 - WinXP.ova” file. It will take a little while to import it. Select the resulting virtual machine called “IE6 - WinXP” and click the “Take” button to take a snapshot. This lets you rollback to a fresh machine if you have an issue further along.

Start the machine, You may get an error that virtualisation is not enabled on your machine, you will need to restart and edit the BIOS to enable it.

Once Windows XP boots wait for the timeout and click “Resolve Later” about the licensing. From the devices menu above the virtual machine desktop select “Insert Guest Additions CD image…”. This should automatically start the VirtualBox Guest Additions installer. Select “I want to manually reboot” at the end. Then shut down the XP machine.

Taka another snapshot, then start the VM again. Under “Devices > Shared Folders > Shared Folder Settings” select “Transient Folders” then for “Folder Path” select the folder you put the Java 6 installer into, check the “Auto-mount” checkbox, you shouldn’t need to touch the other fields. Click OK, then OK again.

Open “My Computer” from the start menu, you should see a network share, and inside should be the Java 6 Runtime Installer. Run the installer. Once it is complete shutdown the VM again and take another snapshot.

Start up the machine, open IE, type in the URL for the TBS-800 and cross your fingers that it works

------
02-09-2024, 02:20 AM
Free Member

Thanks you, I will get through it this weekend and report back, If this is going to work, can I run the VM from a separate window in the current OS or I have to boot in it, The reason I'm asking is, I have to be able to capture and monitor the screen while changing the setting in the TBS-800 menu at the same time.

02-09-2024, 02:32 AM
Premium Member

The VM will run alongside everything else, it’s just like another app. You do have to assign it some resources but it’s pretty lightweight as it’s XP. I’ve left it at the defaults so we can probably tune it down once we know it works.

I did some packet tracing and when I run it the Java applet is sending UDP packets to port 81 on what it thinks is the TBS-800 with a readable message of “Control.State=?” so it looks promising that it will work. In the jar there are are class files for both UDP and TCP communications.
02-09-2024, 03:05 AM
Free Member

I couldn't sleep so I gave it a try, It actually took about 4 seconds to import the appliance, The problem I'm having though is I couldn't get pass that Win XP licence window, It gets there and it freezes, Nothing works.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-02-09 010315.jpg (66.2 KB, 8 downloads)
02-09-2024, 03:46 AM
Premium Member

So nothing happens if you try to click “Reaolve Later”?

Do you get a mouse pointer that moves in the VM?

When the VM starts does it pop up a bar on the right with messages about auto capturing the mouse and keyboard?