Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-06-2009, 01:31 AM
Free Member

"Save the audio to a new WAV file when done"
Do I need to transfer the saved WAV file to an AC3 file before I bring it to DVD-Lab to make the DVD? Or do I just leave it as a WAV file?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-06-2009, 01:46 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Yes, convert to AC3. (I'll assume DVD-Lab does not have the ability to encode audio to AC3 built-in.)

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
06-06-2009, 01:52 AM
Free Member

I really have no idea if it does or not lol...what's the easiest way for me to convert it to AC3? Do I do that in SoundForge as well?
Just to make sure...AC3 is what I use for the DVD, right?
06-06-2009, 10:37 PM

No, SoundForge doesn't do AC3.

Read this post here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...3-mp2-407.html
1 -- It first tells how to convert MP2 or AC3 to WAV.
2 -- Then it tells how to go back from WAV to AC3. Do that.

06-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Free Member

When I do this...do I open the whole video in Soundforge, or should I somehow split it up or something? The longest videos I'll be doing are around 3 hrs, some are 2 hrs also
06-08-2009, 12:39 AM

Open the audio from any single recording in whole. If the VHS tape had 3 recordings of 2 hour each, you fix the 2-hour videos. You don't fix 3 separate recordings at once (all 6 hours together in the same file). If a recording is 10 seconds, fix 10 second. If it's 10 hours, fix 10 hours.

This assumes audio is "the same" during the entire recording -- the most likely scenario.

This has been mentioned before.

06-08-2009, 01:02 AM
Free Member

how do i import those preset things into soundforge? i downloaded them...do i just try to open them in soundforge, or do i have to open them from the preset thing? i tried to open it in the preset thing, but it wouldnt open the video. I did see the 2 or 3 filters u suggested i usedn there though..
06-08-2009, 01:12 AM

You don't open video in SoundForge, you only open the WAV file in SF. Go back and re-read this thread from the beginning one more time.

As far as presets go, the guide shows and explains it as best as I can do, without actually doing it myself.

06-08-2009, 01:44 AM
Free Member

Ok..I did read it and there's a lot on here...does my audio start off as a mp2 audio or ac3?
Here are the steps I wrote down a few mts ago to do audio...should i stick with this, or change it..
1 - Extract audio from Womble edited video in TMPGE - click file, click de-multiplex, click browse-open edited vid from womble, double click audio stream to save it.

Convert AC3 or MP2 (which format is it?) audio to WAV in Headac3he

Restore audio in SoundForge

Convert WAV to AC3 in FFMPEG using these settings-
Format- AC3, Bitrate 256, Sampling Rate 48000, Audio Channels 2, Select browse, in audio output type a file name for the AC3 file (ex. audio.ac3) click convert

Ok..this is write I wrote down from other things I was told here before this thread was even made...as we talked about, I'm going to stick to the basics with this...should I keep this audio workflow..or should I scrap this and do something else?
06-08-2009, 02:02 AM
Free Member

To explain what I meant in my previous post..I have a "Preset Manager 2.0" icon on my desktop. I opened it, and there's a big window, with 3 smaller windows inside of it. In the upper left window it says Preset Package and inside the box it says untitled, I click on it and nothing happens.
In the lower left window, it says System Presents, and inside the box, it says Fx Plugins,, I click the plus button and it says Sonic Foundry Paragraphic EQ, I click on it and then in the lower right window all the filters appear, including the ones you told me I should use. If I double click on them, nothing happens.
Now, when I click the open button at the top, a window comes up and in the drop down box for file type I can only select Preset Packages (*sfpreset) this is where I was confused because, I didn't know what to do with this, and how it was related in SoundForge. When does all of this come into play?
06-08-2009, 04:19 AM

Audio from Hauppauage card is MP2. This really doesn't matter. Convert the audio -- whatever it is -- to WAV.

The software is attached to this post: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...3-mp2-407.html ... or there is a link to the site where you download it.

The presets manager is used for this: http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/vid...soundforge.htm -- and then you'll never use it again (unless you need to export or import more filters) -- you'll probably never use it again. Delete the icon off your desktop, forget about it after installing the filter set.

I think you're thinking too hard -- none of this stuff is as difficult as you're making it.

06-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Free Member

Yeah, I think I am overthinking it, you're right. I just want everything to be as good as I can get it.
In the Preset Manager window, it shows filters in both the top and bottom right side windows, but in mine, I only have filters in the bottom window...
Does that mean anything? Or, since I have filters in the bottom right side window, did I do everything right, and I can just delete the Preset Manager icon as you said, and forget about it?
06-08-2009, 12:09 PM

That's what it would look like with the software opened, but without the presets being opened. If the filters appear in the bottom, then they are installed.

Remove the icon from your desktop, and move on.

NOTE: Do not uninstall the software, just delete the icon from the desktop -- big difference.

06-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Free Member

Ok, I just deleted it, so that's done.
Should I stick with this workflow, or do something different?

1 - Extract audio from Womble edited video in TMPGE - click file, click de-multiplex, click browse-open edited vid from womble, double click audio stream to save it.

Convert AC3 or MP2 (which format is it?) audio to WAV in Headac3he

Restore audio in SoundForge

Convert WAV to AC3 in FFMPEG using these settings-
Format- AC3, Bitrate 256, Sampling Rate 48000, Audio Channels 2, Select browse, in audio output type a file name for the AC3 file (ex. audio.ac3) click convert
06-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Free Member

Ignore where it says which format is it? You already answered that, I just copied and pasted from my earlier post.
06-08-2009, 12:32 PM

Yes. Workflow is ...

- Womble to cut up capture into actual individual recordings.
- Then demux in TMPGEnc.
- Convert audio to WAV.
- Restore WAV in SoundForge. Mostly just some de-hiss for now. Maybe someday you can learn more advanced techniques. This will be a good starting point, however.
- Convert restored WAV to AC3.
- Author DVDs
- Burn DVDs
- Enjoy DVDs

That's it.

06-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Free Member

Ok, thanks. I'm splitting audio from a video in TMPGE as we speak. I guess I'll look at these since you suggested them before Flesher-Munson based hiss cut filters, or the basic hiss cut filters. Hiss Cut 2 and Hiss Cut 6. I haven't actually dnoe any of this yet, but based from what you said, I gather that all this does is let me hear what it would sound like if I pick that specific filter. I saw tons of them listed in there, and a lot of them look exactly the same, so I'm not really sure what the difference between them is, but I'll just stick to the few you suggested.
06-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Free Member

Quick q...I have the audio that I just split open in HeadAc3he and everything matches up perfect..but in this step that I quoted below..
"Do NOT check this box (the image shows 44.1 checked, which is wrong!). DVD audio is 48 kHz, not 44.1 kHz. YOU DO NOT WANT TO RESAMPLE!"

Ok, my box is NOT checkmarked, BUT it does say 44.1 in it...should I change it to 48, or just leave it as 44.1 and not checkmark it?
06-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Free Member

I decided to just leave it unchecked since it says You do not want to resample....

Problem...
I clicked start..and an error came up that says "Could not load MPAlib.dll! Download the package from http://darkav.de.vu.
So, I go to that link, and it keeps coming up "the page cannot be displayed"...it's done it about 5 times now...first it said the address was not valid, but then it kept saying page cannot be displayed. It won't let me do anything until I get this package I guess, because as soon as I clicked start that error popped up..but, I can't get the URL to work that it gave me...I just downloaded Headac3he about an hour ago from the link you provided in an earlier post ...where it was attached to the bottom of the guide.
What should I do?
06-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Free Member

I notice when I turn on Headac3he, it says this on the right side..
Loading azid.dll...failed
Loading ssrc.dll...failed
Loading lame_enc.dll...failed
Loading vorbis.dll...failed
Loading MP2enc.dll...failed
Loading MPAlib.dll...failed
Parsing INI-file...done